GDT Preseason Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 New Orleans Saints

DreamKid

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

Odd that LJ Fort is playing late into the 4th quarter

If Alaka wasn't injured I don't think he would be, it's still weird to see though. He really shouldn't be in there. Harrison, even if he's momentarily ahead on the depth chart, could probably benefit more from the work.

Pros: •Young defenders played well - Oweh, Hayes, Stephens, Stone, Washington, Wade   •Huntley looks to be a perfectly good backup in this offense    •Young RBs Williams and McCrary had some juice 

Cons: •Offensive line was horrendous when their 2s were in, and then Bozeman got hurt   •Zone coverage had some lapses right down the middle of the field    •None of the TEs had a bad day persé but outside of a few routine crossers from Oliver none really stuck out 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 3

I liked that flash of talent we got from Tylan Wallace. Ball was just a little too outside but boy does he have some mitts on him. Excited to see him get some looks with Lamar. Our young LBs deserve a shout out too. TBH the 1st string defense seemed like they were just kind of running around out there not taking anything too serious, but Queen and Harrison were having fun and made some splash plays- which was good to see.

Important thing to look for now is how much the young guys grow and improve for the final two preseason games. 

One more win to tie. I couldn’t remember the exact number we were at. For some reason I thought the record was in the 20s.

Also 😂 at people judging the OL so soon. At this point last season Orlando Brown looked like hot trash until like week 5/6.

The Saints have a top 10 DL and these guys have been mix and matched all training camp.

At this point the coaches are still trying to figure out where guys best fit in the lineup. I’m not concerned about the OL until they’re getting Lamar killed.

The only OL I’ve got no dog in the fight over is Tyre Phillips, he was trash at all showings last year and never showed any promise. Guys like Mekari, Bozeman, and Powers I expect to figure things out. Powers was one of the higher graded run blockers at points last season- just sucked in pass pro, Mekari consistently grades well, Bozeman has consistently been reliable.

A lot of OL quality comes from coordination and trust. Right now they don’t have that, but the talent is there IMO.

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Going to be tough to hold onto that Preseason Win streak now. Huntley has his work cut out for him in the 2nd half.

This comment misses how we even got here. Streak is built in depth of the 90 man dominating second halves of preseason games. 

14 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

One more win to tie. I couldn’t remember the exact number we were at. For some reason I thought the record was in the 20s.

Also 😂 at people judging the OL so soon. At this point last season Orlando Brown looked like hot trash until like week 5/6.

The Saints have a top 10 DL and these guys have been mix and matched all training camp.

At this point the coaches are still trying to figure out where guys best fit in the lineup. I’m not concerned about the OL until they’re getting Lamar killed.

The only OL I’ve got no dog in the fight over is Tyre Phillips, he was trash at all showings last year and never showed any promise. Guys like Mekari, Bozeman, and Powers I expect to figure things out. Powers was one of the higher graded run blockers at points last season- just sucked in pass pro, Mekari consistently grades well, Bozeman has consistently been reliable.

A lot of OL quality comes from coordination and trust. Right now they don’t have that, but the talent is there IMO.

By all accounts throughout all of training camp the line has looked awful.

The line looked awful last night.

But somehow you’re ok with that because...Orlando Brown didn’t play well to start the season last year? What?

We’re talking about this offensive line lol. And this offensive line hasn’t shown A.) it can stay healthy or B.) the healthy guys can perform. I really don’t care that certain outlets “graded Powers high in run blocking”. The last two times we’ve seen him - Buffalo and last night - he’s been on the ground more than he’s been making effective blocks. Mekari got worked in the playoffs/last night too.

”I’m not worried until the OL is getting Lamar killed” - really? Because by that point the season is over dude. You kinda want to be proactive when it comes to your OL protecting your franchise QB - not waiting around until it happens, ignoring all the signs. 

“A lot of OL quality comes from coordination and trust - right now they don’t have that”. That’s part of the problem, dude. We probably won’t have our starting OL together until week 1 of the regular season - when the games actually start to count. We can’t afford to wait 7/8 weeks like you seem content to do to field an effective offensive line.

Sometimes you just dig your heels in because you’re too stubborn to admit something you wrote a big post on could be incorrect. You stuck your neck out saying you’re not concerned about the OL a few weeks ago because you really like Powers and Mekari etc etc. and they’ll figure it out eventually, and surely we’ll get healthy eventually, etc. All information we have currently points to the contrary. You’ve overrated the talent of these guys for some time now. Mekari was undrafted for a reason. Powers was a 4th round pick. Phillips was a huge reach even in the 3rd.

The offensive line could be performing terribly all year, but because you already made your statement, you won’t ever change your opinion on it. You’ll just keep talking about how Orlando Brown wasn’t that good weeks 1-6 in 2020, like that matters, or something.

Edited by Ray Reed

2 hours ago, ravens5520 said:

??? Didn’t watch the game. Wasn’t he hyped up past few weeks? 

He had an incredibly boneheaded move getting a very obvious drive-extending taunting penalty after a third down stop where he didn't do anything but watch the receiver drop the ball. Harbaugh talked to him then sent him back in a couple snaps later, so not his last chance it seems.

I'm happy the coaches have that incident on film in the preseason to show it all year, how stupid it looks.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sp6488 said:

This comment misses how we even got here. Streak is built in depth of the 90 man dominating second halves of preseason games. 

Trust me, I'm aware. Offense was looking pretty rough though, and this was the most competitive preseason game we've had in a long time.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Can anyone elaborate on James Proche's night? I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but from what I've read he played a lot of snaps and only had 1 catch(?). Seems like he's going to be this year's "WR that lights up camp/practices but does nothing outside of that" guy

Honestly, he did everything he could. QBs didn't have a lot of time and he hauled in all of his targets. Almost got decapitated on one pass too, but he didn't flinch and hauled it in. I have no issues with anything the WRs did yesterday. They actually as a unit looked pretty confident and with better pass protection/QB play they could've put up strong numbers. For example Jaylon Moore definitely has a TD if Trace doesn't overthrow him. Also shout out to Devin Gray who got crushed off a hit stick but not only held on for the crucial 1st down but got up before the defender did too. 💪 Love seeing our WRs play tough.