Around the League 2022

Bobby816

I thought we just needed Brady to retire / go elsewhere to have an open division, but it seems like we have to wait for Belichick to retire too.

He might actually still be getting better at coaching. Getting last year's Patriots to 7-9 was an absolute miracle. Talent wise, that team was not much better than ours, if better at all. This year he's trending towards another 2001-esque superbowl win. I think the only way I can deal with that is if it's over the Brady-led Bucs.

2 hours ago, TheChad said:

I thought we just needed Brady to retire / go elsewhere to have an open division, but it seems like we have to wait for Belichick to retire too.

He might actually still be getting better at coaching. Getting last year's Patriots to 7-9 was an absolute miracle. Talent wise, that team was not much better than ours, if better at all. This year he's trending towards another 2001-esque superbowl win. I think the only way I can deal with that is if it's over the Brady-led Bucs.

I loved Mac Jones coming out and knew a new era would start there with him. I'd rathered him drafted by any other team bc I knew he'd be good. 

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

What makes this J Herbert, so darn good, All is passes are right on target and he runs like a half back. I DON;T MUCH ABOUT THIS KID, but you never reallly know who is going to be a star in the NFL.

If we drafted Herbert this fan base would have lost their mind. 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

In the Cowboys, Raider game there were twenty eight penalties called that is insane. What do these refs think the game is about them. Each team had fourteen penalties.

The question is were those 28 penalties legit based on the rule book?  Was the false start penalty on the C doing the head bob thing a penalty in the rule book?  It seems like the ref crew decided to really play it tight.

The league really needs to come up with “standards” as to how tightly to call a game without jeopardizing player safety.  We want to let the players play but within the scope of the rules. And let’s face it, there is probably a penalty on every play based on the rules. Perhaps the ref crew could meet with the HC’s of each team to discuss how tightly they will call the game before hitting the field. At least then the HC’s know and can inform the players.

5 minutes ago, xrade said:

The question is were those 28 penalties legit based on the rule book?  Was the false start penalty on the C doing the head bob thing a penalty in the rule book?  It seems like the ref crew decided to really play it tight.

The league really needs to come up with “standards” as to how tightly to call a game without jeopardizing player safety.  We want to let the players play but within the scope of the rules. And let’s face it, there is probably a penalty on every play based on the rules. Perhaps the ref crew could meet with the HC’s of each team to discuss how tightly they will call the game before hitting the field. At least then the HC’s know and can inform the players.

You are right I was just going to say the same thing, they could call a penalty on just about every play. I think they have to use a little more discretion.

11 hours ago, xrade said:

Too many petty calls. But they called it both ways. I prefer to just let the players play. But if you’re going to throw a ton of flags… make it equal. And they did that. But still just let them play

Sure looks like the Giants are going to get a top five pick in the first round from Chicago just by trading down in last years draft. They gave Chicago their 11 pick in the first round and got Chicago's later first round pick, and still got Toney. Why can't we make trades like that?

Our big trade was giving the Colts two second round picks to move up three spots to get Darnold, so Darnold failed and the bottom line is we lost the 6 overall pick in draft & two second round picks. And we got back one second round pick when we traded Darnold. The math sure doesn't add in that move, Thanks Macc. 

3 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Sure looks like the Giants are going to get a top five pick in the first round from Chicago just by trading down in last years draft. They gave Chicago their 11 pick in the first round and got Chicago's later first round pick, and still got Toney. Why can't we make trades like that?

Our big trade was giving the Colts two second round picks to move up three spots to get Darnold, so Darnold failed and the bottom line is we lost the 6 overall pick in draft & two second round picks. And we got back one second round pick when we traded Darnold. The math sure doesn't add in that move, Thanks Macc. 

We got two firsts for Adams one of which will be top 10 this year.  I think that was a pretty successful trade. We got  an early SRP for Sam who will probably bounce around the league as a backup.  Another successful trade.  We also got Moore in round two who is outperforming Toney, a FRP.  I think we won that one as well.

As for the Sam deal, I am pretty sure most were elated that we did NOT give up a FRP to trade up a draft our future franchise QB.  The move was very well received.  Looking at it in hindsight is does not do the transaction justice.  I can also criticize the Giants for wasting a the number 6 pick on Jones.  It is Jones' third year and he is not looking too good.  Was it a bad pick at the time?  I don't know, it was a slight reach IMO but they needed a QB.  Looking at it in hindsight, it seems like a bad pick.

So far from the Adams trade we got a first tier guard, the second pick there is a real good chance we will end up with a top ten pick. All the Seahawks has to do is lose three more games and there is real good chance that could happen.

Edited by doumeyer

Anyone a Rangers fan? Are they actually good again or is it a mirage?

I stopped watching hockey a few years back because the Rangers front office seemed to stop even trying to win games, and continually traded away all the players I liked and let Lundqvist's last years just be a sad waste.

Edit: oops. Meant to put this in the TAJT thread.

Edited by TheChad