The Trashing of Cousins

Doc Draper

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If we transition tag him and match he doesn’t really have a choice.  The fact that the 49ers traded for Jimmy G is pretty telling to me that they thought Cousins wasn’t going to happen.

That's true. The whole situation is weird. 

Yes, the speculation is that the Niners cannot wait for Cousins and they believed that he was going to be tagged anyway, so they needed a move. This gives Jimmy G a half a season to learn the playbook and then come in as the official starter in 2018. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That's true. The whole situation is weird. 

The 49ers and Rams were the biggests threats to steal Cousins based on his past experience with those head coaches.  Now it'll come down to whether a contender wants to make Cousins an offer, like the Jags or Broncos or someone like that (who probably won't be willing to give him an insane contract), or a cellar dweller like the Browns or Jets might offer him a stupid high contract offer.  I think we can safely transition tag Cousins now.  If he goes and negotiates with the Jags, Broncos or someone like that, I think we can match a reasonable offer and feel good about it.  If he wants to chase every penny and get paid $140 mil to rot away in Cleveland the rest of his career I'd say see ya and let him head out the door.  

58 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The 49ers and Rams were the biggests threats to steal Cousins based on his past experience with those head coaches.  Now it'll come down to whether a contender wants to make Cousins an offer, like the Jags or Broncos or someone like that (who probably won't be willing to give him an insane contract), or a cellar dweller like the Browns or Jets might offer him a stupid high contract offer.  I think we can safely transition tag Cousins now.  If he goes and negotiates with the Jags, Broncos or someone like that, I think we can match a reasonable offer and feel good about it.  If he wants to chase every penny and get paid $140 mil to rot away in Cleveland the rest of his career I'd say see ya and let him head out the door.  

My words exactly. And IMO whoever is going to sign him is going to do so before the draft because they aren’t going to pin their hopes on signing him after the draft and missing out and being stuck.

Well this will certainly tell about Cousins motivation this coming off season. If a team is willing to move on him with a bank vault and unload cash on him, and he bolts for a non-contender or a perrenial non-contender, i.e., the Jags, then it was all money based and there was no real love to be here. 

With the emergence of Goff and the Niners getting Jimmy G, Cousins lost all leverage. 

9 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Well this will certainly tell about Cousins motivation this coming off season. If a team is willing to move on him with a bank vault and unload cash on him, and he bolts for a non-contender or a perrenial non-contender, i.e., the Jags, then it was all money based and there was no real love to be here. 

With the emergence of Goff and the Niners getting Jimmy G, Cousins lost all leverage. 

The franchise tag was a blessing in disguise we might even get Kirk cousins cheaper than expected .

his options are Cleveland-Jacksonville - and maybe the Vikings depending .

broncos I don't think have the cap 

I think he ends up either a Jaguar or a Bronco. I just don't see anyway he's back next year. They'll franchise him with the non-exclusive and then trade him. This whole merry-go-round has to end and if they aren't going to pay him then get something for him from someone who will. 

We need to trade him right NOW!!! Damn it Front Office!

He's either gonna leave for nothing, or he's gonna make #1 top QB money & we'll be strapped with his contract, unable to field a decent team. (plus he isn't worth it, imo)

Let Gruden find his OWN QB, instead of the one he inherited.

Extend Mccoy for cheap cheap now...then let him play out the season.(in case he lights it up & gets us to 10 wins...lolol)

Then draft our YOUNG QB, in this next draft.

50 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

We need to trade him right NOW!!! Damn it Front Office!

He's either gonna leave for nothing, or he's gonna make #1 top QB money & we'll be strapped with his contract, unable to field a decent team. (plus he isn't worth it, imo)

Let Gruden find his OWN QB, instead of the one he inherited.

Extend Mccoy for cheap cheap now...then let him play out the season.(in case he lights it up & gets us to 10 wins...lolol)

Then draft our YOUNG QB, in this next draft.

How do you go from predicting us to win 12 games to hating Cousins this much?

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

How do you go from predicting us to win 12 games to hating Cousins this much?

I want to trade Kirk but not because I hate him lol. I just don't think he's coming back. Ace on the other hand, I have no idea? 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I want to trade Kirk but not because I hate him lol. I just don't think he's coming back. Ace on the other hand, I have no idea? 

Yeah, its weird. You guys know I'm pro-Kirk and even I wanted to trade him for the EXACT same reasons. Not sure why Ace did a 180 on him

On 10/31/2017 at 11:31 AM, mike23md said:

With the emergence of Goff and the Niners getting Jimmy G, Cousins lost all leverage

Disagree with this. Kirk still has options:

• Need a QB next year
    • Arizona
    • Cleveland
    • Jacksonville
    • New York Jets
  • Might need a QB next year (depends on free agents/retirements)
    • Denver
    • Minnesota
    • New Orleans
    • Pittsburgh
    • San Francisco

I doubt he would go to Cleveland unless they SERIOUSLY back up the Brinks truck. I would have said the same of the Jets but they are competitive right now. Need some investment in the offense, but they aren't as far off as we might think.

Arizona and Jacksonville? Those are completely doable. The Jaguars, in particular, have a relatively easy division.

The other five teams require some things to break Cousins' way, whether it be the play of the existing QBs (Garroppolo for the 49ers, whomever for the Broncos), retirements (Brees and Roethlisberger), or free agents leaving (Bradford and possibly Bridgewater if his contract doesn't toll).

Archived