Possible Roster Upgrade Targets As Roster Cuts Loom

Just Want A Title

I saw the article below article about a hypothetical trade between the Ravens and Falcons that would send WR Miles Boykin to Atlanta.  He is listed at 6'4", 220 lbs, had pretty good college stats as well as testing numbers but hasn't developed as expected in Baltimore.  This could be more of a weakness on how they use their WRs.  

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bleacher-report-says-ravens-propose-035920375.html

Do you think the Lions should make a play for Miles Boykin?  Is there a LB that help that we could find without mortgaging our future?  Thoughts?

Just rumors. But if these players get cut I'd look into adding them easily. They all provide upgrades imo.

Vernon Butler, DT. Buffalo. Easily steps in and is a solid contributing Dlinemen. Possibly even a starter.

Jaylon Smith, LB. Dallas. He's owed a huge bonus, might get cut, might get traded if Dallas will eat some cash. Could come here and start inside with our new 3-4 system.

N'Keal Harry, WR. Patriots. Younger dude that hasn't had much of an oppertunitty and would get a bigger role/shot here with the Lions. Lions need a WR that can get 40-50 receptions and Harry seems like a candidate that could handle it, possibly even long-term with him just being 24.

Rashaad Penny, RB. Seattle. Bit of a bust 1st rdp. But he's got some skills to work with and could contribute as a good back up RB.

23 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

Just rumors. But if these players get cut I'd look into adding them easily. They all provide upgrades imo.

Vernon Butler, DT. Buffalo. Easily steps in and is a solid contributing Dlinemen. Possibly even a starter.

Jaylon Smith, LB. Dallas. He's owed a huge bonus, might get cut, might get traded if Dallas will eat some cash. Could come here and start inside with our new 3-4 system.

N'Keal Harry, WR. Patriots. Younger dude that hasn't had much of an oppertunitty and would get a bigger role/shot here with the Lions. Lions need a WR that can get 40-50 receptions and Harry seems like a candidate that could handle it, possibly even long-term with him just being 24.

Rashaad Penny, RB. Seattle. Bit of a bust 1st rdp. But he's got some skills to work with and could contribute as a good back up RB.

I think I'd pass on Butler. Yes he'd be an upgrade, but we have a lot of young players who have flashed potential in the middle of our Dline. We're not going anywhere this season and I'd like to see if some of them can develop into studs. 

If we could get Jaylon Smith that'd be great. It would be a buy low and hold onto him until we're ready to compete situation. We need so many bodies at LB getting him at a reasonable price could speed up the rebuild.

If we can get Harry for a reasonable price I'd be on board. Kinda like LB we need several bodies at WR. If he works out great, if not, we're exactly where we already are. 

I don't think Penny would be a good signing. I think we'd be stacking our depth chart with too many RBs who struggle to remain healthy. 

Perriman being cut is kinda surprising. He really must not have shown anything, because I've not been impressed by Cephus at all. At least with Cephus you can see what he has, I guess. I'm just not expecting much. Being Williams, who is injury-prone, we have a collection of guys that are best suited to playing in the slot. If Williams goes down it'll get really ugly really fast, which makes it kinda hard to evaluate guys like Goff...

6 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

Perriman being cut is kinda surprising. He really must not have shown anything, because I've not been impressed by Cephus at all. At least with Cephus you can see what he has, I guess. I'm just not expecting much. Being Williams, who is injury-prone, we have a collection of guys that are best suited to playing in the slot. If Williams goes down it'll get really ugly really fast, which makes it kinda hard to evaluate guys like Goff...

I agree.  Our WRs are pretty bad it seems.  Raymond has been running with the 1s in practice and although he has been a PS squad guy for a couple years, he has some experience.  But sounds like Perriman couldn't beat him out and doesn't offer much on special teams. 

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree.  Our WRs are pretty bad it seems.  Raymond has been running with the 1s in practice and although he has been a PS squad guy for a couple years, he has some experience.  But sounds like Perriman couldn't beat him out and doesn't offer much on special teams. 

Gotta work the phones and see if any trade opportunities present themselves while scouring the waiver wire thoroughly 

Edited by Miblue

15 hours ago, Miblue said:

Gotta work the phones and see if any trade opportunities present themselves while scouring the waiver wire thoroughly 

Sounds like we just traded for Trinity Benson, WR from Denver.  Never have heard of him but guess he was on their practice squad last year as an UDFA and was fighting for their last WR spot.  Interesting that we gave up a couple late picks for him, seems like a lot for a PS guy fighting to be a 6th WR.