PS Week 3- Bears v. Titans- Justin Fields may die

beardown3231

Kind of funny that a guy fishing a week or so ago came off street and was perhaps our best blocker. 

Yes he is a hall of famer, but still. That is sad in a lot of ways. 

Ifedi better get on that treadmill or whatever.  His feet were in mud.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2021/8/30/22647459/chicago-bears-tennessee-titans-grade-starting-o-line-germain-ifedi-jason-peters-mustipher-whitehair

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Kind of funny that a guy fishing a week or so ago came off street and was perhaps our best blocker. 

Yes he is a hall of famer, but still. That is sad in a lot of ways. 

It will be interesting to see him for an entire game against real NFL players who have scouted him. Last season it was known he would commit hard to the outside and he gave up many sacks when guys came inside him.

• Like 1

I think for all the hype about Mustipher weight gain he has shown he still isn't physically strong enough to handle big NFL DL.

All three of our interior players are not massive people movers.  Whitehair is strongest.  Daniels is best athlete, but also seems to often have a strength disadvantage.  

Peters and Ifedi are out of shape.  Kind of sad because I think Ifedi was in top condition of his life pre-injury.  He looked amazing - looks wise.    His body looks totally different in just under a month.  Did he sit on couch for 3 weeks and eat chips?

Peters at 40 is our biggest, baddest, strongest dude.   Not sure if he can move though and almost no way in heck he is lasting a season under any circumstance

We have two weeks to get in shape.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

It will be interesting to see him for an entire game against real NFL players who have scouted him. Last season it was known he would commit hard to the outside and he gave up many sacks when guys came inside him.

That's a big load for one guy to handle. He can't pull it out all by himself, he might need a partner to stop all the penetration inside.

Edited by The_Romen
Phrasing.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

The Bald Salesman - nickname for Nagy I am seeing going around.

He has really lost the fan base of late.  Feel a little bad for him.

The bald shoe salesman......would you like me to see if I have that one in a size 6 1/2 ma'am?

We drafted interior OL for their athleticism and ability pull and block at the second level but now they want to make people movers out of the same guys?  Oh yeah.  That's real smart.

GMcC may like to talk about the cooperative nature of our GM and HC but frankly I don't see it.

4 minutes ago, soulman said:

We drafted interior OL for their athleticism and ability pull and block at the second level but now they want to make people movers out of the same guys?  Oh yeah.  That's real smart.

GMcC may like to talk about the cooperative nature of our GM and HC but frankly I don't see it.

But they rarely used them that way.   LOL.

Its like they don't understand basic football principals.  

I will say Whitehair is better at getting to 2nd level on an OZ or toss than any G I have seen when he doesn't have to double.

But they almost always force him to double and that is rare compared to IZ and RPOs and we can never block the edge so it all doesn't matter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

But they rarely used them that way.   LOL.

Its like they don't understand basic football principals.  

I will say Whitehair is better at getting to 2nd level on an OZ or toss than any G I have seen when he doesn't have to double.

But they almost always force him to double and that is rare compared to IZ and RPOs and we can never block the edge so it all doesn't matter.

When Nagy arrived and even before as I recall we were running outside zone type stuff and doing it fairly successfully even with a RB who lacked top end speed and in Monty we still have a #1 RB without game breaking speed.

Over the past two seasons under Nagy the run blocking has become a calamity.  I realize we've lost some guys to injury but the stuff I'm seeing looks more like a Chinese Fire Drill than a pure lack of talent.  It looks like a blocking scheme drawn up by a 3rd grader on the playground.

I thought guys like Lazor and Castillo were brought in to fix that and it seems that when Lazor was calling plays last fall Monty finally got on track and was one of the top rushers in the NFL over the second half of the season.  Then Nagy takes back the mic and we're back to ground zero again.  WFT is up with that?  So is it lack of talent, a piss poor scheme, or simply Nagy?

Edited by soulman

5 hours ago, soulman said:

I thought guys like Lazor and Castillo were brought in to fix that and it seems that when Lazor was calling plays last fall Monty finally got on track and was one of the top rushers in the NFL over the second half of the season.  Then Nagy takes back the mic and we're back to ground zero again.  WFT is up with that?  So is it lack of talent, a piss poor scheme, or simply Nagy?

Probably too soon to say. We've only seen preseason game and haven't seen the full offense together at all.

That said here's my take:

1. Lack of talent - Most of these guys are late-round picks, UDFAs, or cast-offs from other teams. Even the guys Pace drafted early (e.g. Whitehair, Daniels) are nothing special.

2. Coaching - Nagy is not proactive enough. He's not the type of coach who will tear things up or go away from specific plays that don't suit his team. He has a set of things he wants to do on offense, and he will die on his sword while doing them.

Edited by abstract_thought
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

Probably too soon to say. We've only seen preseason game and haven't seen the full offense together at all.

That said here's my take:

1. Lack of talent - Most of these guys are late-round picks, UDFAs, or cast-offs from other teams. Even the guys Pace drafted early (e.g. Whitehair, Daniels) are nothing special.

2. Coaching - Nagy is not proactive enough. He's not the type of coach who will tear things up or go away from specific plays that don't suit his team. He has a set of things he wants to do on offense, and he will die on his sword while doing them.

1) The interior guys are solid talent but Mustipher either needs to figure out how to handle bigger DT/NT or he's toast.  IMHO Whitehair and Daniels have more than enough talent but does the scheme actually fit their talent?  And every team has starting OL who are late round picks so that alone can't be the whole cause of it.

2) Now, this I do believe wholeheartedly and I've commented on it at length.  He doesn't even seem to have a handle on the physical condition of his players when asked or if he's does he's keeping it a  big secret.  There are just too many times he seems detached from reality in the way he views his team vs how poorly they're playing.

IMHO we should begin this season filled with optimism and yet it's just another season filled with apathy because nothing has changed.  Drafting Fields was like me getting a shiny new guitar only to be told I can't play it until I learn to play Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover" note for note.  For a HC who wants to win, nay.....needs to win, Nagy sure looks unsure of it himself.