PS Week 3- Bears v. Titans- Justin Fields may die

beardown3231

4 minutes ago, soulman said:

I've heard a rumor that offensive points have been seen in the vicinity of a Bears game.  Can anyone corroborate this?  😆

Can confirm. Nick Foles is showcasing for teams looking for a backup by week 6. Hopefully it hauls us a 6 round pick like Minshew (the guy that outplayed Foles for his job lmao).

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Had to make up for getting pushed down on his ***, ragdoll style, earlier in the 3rd.

No argument here. He is like a missile. Not a heat-seeking one, but one where the person aiming it is not plastered but well beyond buzzed.

Occasionally he gets McClellin'd too.

4 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yes, it is my opinion and one that's based on how he played with the Steelers. Questionable hands and poor route running. I just don't think nearly as good as some seem to think he is. Hope I'm wrong....

Interesting, I am not going to say I remember that about him with Pittsburgh. I do remember him being a reliable back up TE, which his stats concur with that. Detroit he was just not good with.

1 minute ago, blkwdw13 said:

Interesting, I am not going to say I remember that about him with Pittsburgh. I do remember him being a reliable back up TE, which his stats concur with that. Detroit he was just not good with.

detroit gave him a pretty decent contract coming out of PIT, but then drafted TJ and he became an afterthought, which is why he was available this offseason. I fully expect him to make the team, and probably even be on it the next couple years as TE2 after Graham leaves

I was down on the OL all game, but it's interesting to see the numbers behind it:

"This performance did little to assuage concerns about Chicago’s offensive line entering the regular season. They only allowed pressure on six of 26 dropbacks, but three of those pressures came on the first two drives against Tennessee’s first-team defensive line — on five dropbacks

The group also got little push on the ground. The Bears finished finished the game with -2 rushing yards before contact."

Via https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-preseason-week-3-game-recap-chicago-bears-27-tennessee-titans-24

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

Quick thoughts on a quick watch

I think we can give Ifedi a pass as he hasn’t practiced in a month+ but he was terrible.  

Announcers were terrible. Coverage was terrible so I don’t even know who was playing on interior of Oline will have to rewatch.  But they were terrible. 

Horsted justifying some things I have been saying about him. 

Gipson had himself a game.  

Defense was otherwise terrible all around.   We have a cb2 and 3 problem.  I think 2 has to be Burns, but I don’t love him at moment.  Vildor is def not the guy. Shelley is not a good slot.  

Fields did well with what he had and positions he was put in. 

Team hasn’t really played in preseason, but team that has hasn’t been great. 

Most interesting thing of night was Subway making a commercial where Brady says he doesn’t like the sandwich and look its just a commercial.  What was that?  And doing this while standing next to one of most ill liked figures in sports who also doesn’t like the food.  

Not really sure what Subway is thinking.  How does that sell?  Some kind of 4d chess there I guess.  

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Horsted justifying some things I have been saying about him. 

Gipson had himself a game.  

Defense was otherwise terrible all around.   We have a cb2 and 3 problem.  I think 2 has to be Burns, but I don’t love him at moment.  Vildor is def not the guy. Shelley is not a good slot.  

Fields did well with what he had and positions he was put in. 

Horsted:  You and me too.  This kid has shown up every time he's been given a shot yet Graham gets the nod over him.  Makes no sense.

Gipson:  It's about time he started to "ball".  I don't trust Quinn right now at all.

Defense:  Put Burns at LCB and move Vildor into the slot.  He's more of a natural there.  Anyway ya' look at it we need better CBs.

Fields: I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice that Nagy's early scripted play calls can't get out of their own way.

The starting OTs did not look good but overall the weakest link in the offense is still Matt Nagy controlling it.

• Like 1

1)  It makes no sense that they didn’t move Vildor to get some slot reps when Burns started getting some number 1 reps.  

2) I watched some of Keeping it 100 or Tape never lies on youtube last night.  Phil the host and I tend to see game a lot of same way.  He is just a lot more extreme then me. 

It is funny.  He has his dad on to give his opinions and his dad is an old HS coach.  My dad is an old coach too, just volunteer but he thinks the same way.   They both say the exact same things about Nagy.  

And I say a lot of same things as Phil.   Though I think I am more like Phil’s dad than I am like Phil.   I think Phil is a very immature guy and there is no reason for him to swear every other word on a podcast.

But when I break down a play in my mind by myself and then I later watch it on that show - we are saying nearly exact same things.  We see game the same.  

His dad said when he started coaching he learned every position.  He said Nagy isn’t qualified to be a HC.   When I started coaching I got two different tape series that taught fundamentals of every positions and drills for each.  I also went to hours of clinics and learned every position.  That was just for youth football and I was a part time volunteer.   If it was my job?   Put it this way, I would have a lot more breadth of knowledge than Nagy does were that the case.  

• Like 1

Fields was good. He has very good feel for the pocket and a natural feel for when to keep plays alive and when to just take off. He's also very good at throwing on the move.

The OL in general played poorly.

CB will be a problem for this defense. Johnson is good but always an injury concern with his style of play. None of the others are starting CBs on a good defense.

Horsted was a bright spot. He's made these plays whenever given the opportunity. Others who shined and should make the team: Gipson, Adams.

This doesn't feel like a playoff team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

His dad said when he started coaching he learned every position.  He said Nagy isn’t qualified to be a HC.   When I started coaching I got two different tape series that taught fundamentals of every positions and drills for each.  I also went to hours of clinics and learned every position.  That was just for youth football and I was a part time volunteer.   If it was my job?   Put it this way, I would have a lot more breadth of knowledge than Nagy does were that the case.  

Haven't had a chance to listen to the entire program yet vs picking up stuff here and there from highlights and reading some stuff but the whole process is wearing me out.  I think one of the comments on Ottochian's show hit the same nail on the head I've been harping on.  The Bears, and actually Nagy since he's the decision maker, always make things harder than they need to be.....always.  That's on Matt Nagy.

Like I've posted before, he may be a good theoretician but theories don't win games stellar play and plays do and his team is always sadly lacking in that respect.  Preseason or not every time that Bears offense hits the field in the 1st Q they're either confused, disinterested, disheartened, or dysfunctional because they're running Matt Nagy's script and not only doesn't it work.....it never works.  How often do we ever score early?

Matt Nagy is not a qualified HC because; A) He refuses to coach his entire team, B) He's too insecure to give up COSplaying the QB he used to be and allow someone else to do it, C) In every presser he indicates that which we can already see......he's doesn't know the game fully enough.  Just look at him in this last presser.  Look at his eyes and watch his mannerisms as he answers questions.   He's not confident.  He's nervous/scared.

I'll finish by repeating something Phil Otochian said.  By now he should know every player he wants on the team and he should know what they're capable of, what they're not capable of, and have built his team around that.  If he doesn't realize by now that Fields should be his #1 guy or that a guy like Horsted should be getting more snaps than Jimmy Graham then he's either too stubborn to admit it or he's delusional.

Either way the results will be the same.  Nagy will keep failing to put his best players on the field and continue to fail bending his own system to fit the talent he has and put his team and his players in the best position to succeed......and win.  Not only doesn't the tape NOT lie but Matt Nagy can't keep himself FROM lying but what's worst is he's not lying to us, we can see the truth.  He's lying to himself and nothing will change.

IMHO the time has come for a wholesale change from the top down.  Phillips needs to be "retired" by the McCaskey family.  They won't fire him but they can persuade him to step down.  Some suggested Pace as CEO.  I don't think he's earned it but if that's the only was we can get rid of Teddy Bears fine.  Then get a GM and a HC who can do a more successful imitation of the kumbiya thing than Pace and Nagy.

Pace's personnel decisions have been too inconsistent and Nagy just plain can't coach.  His own insecurities drive him to be liked far more than is needed for him to succeed as an NFL HC.  Marine Drill Instructors aren't there to be liked they're there to train you to win battles and stay alive and Nagy possesses none of that.  He reminds me of Capt. Wilton Parmenter in that old F Troop TV series but here in NFL Indians aren't as friendly.

Like I said before.  He's that poker hand you need to fold not keep betting into.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1