Bojack Horseman mafia: Mafia wins!

Malfatron

20 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

No one. (Well, myself, but I can explain.)

N1, I knew nothing about town or abilities and the such, so dying to protect an unknown seemed like a waste this early.
N2, I made the wager that sanchez would not be hit, so I - again - protected myself. I also didn't know exactly how powerful sanchez's ability was at this point, so I would rather save that... save... for someone else later.

Why myself? Well, I don't fully understand all of the possible Mafia moves, but, if scum has an ability that activates or gets stronger after a successful night kill, hitting me with the ability targeting myself would prevent that ability from activating/getting stronger. (I wouldn't have died to their hit, but my ability.)

I just didn't foresee this coming to light this early, and was hoping for some majestic mid-late game sacrificial save in a clutch moment.

@TL-TwoWinsAway

So you die instead of the player you are protecting if that person is hit?

So protecting yourself means you would die if you were the hit target.

TL

5 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Well, that was my rationale behind me doing that. I think it actually makes sense.

More importantly, ask yourself: assuming that you have this ability, and you're town, would you have sacrificed yourself for Pickle N1? Orca N2? What about each of those players made you think your ability wouldn't be better used later in the game?

I would have felt comfortable in knowing that I played to my role and stopped mafia from killing their intended target.

• Like 1

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

In addition: for the love of all that is good, can someone put themselves in my shoes and say that they would've traded their lives for Pickle N1 or Orca N2? I mean, really? What information was out there to suggest that it would've been a better decision now over waiting for later in the game?

It didnt have to be them, you could have protected anyone but yourself. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

@TL-TwoWinsAway

So you die instead of the player you are protecting if that person is hit?

So protecting yourself means you would die if you were the hit target.

TL

Right. But I wouldn't die to their hit, but my ability, so it would've prevented their hit from activating/strengthening in the process. (If that was something that they even had.)

Am I the only nerd around here that grew up playing MTG?

Just now, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

In addition: for the love of all that is good, can someone put themselves in my shoes and say that they would've traded their lives for Pickle N1 or Orca N2? I mean, really? What information was out there to suggest that it would've been a better decision now over waiting for later in the game?

No, that’s why you should have just made something up to survive, and clean it up before you die if it didn’t help.  That way no harm is done.

Just now, Matts4313 said:

It didnt have to be them, you could have protected anyone but yourself. 

Right. And it wouldn't have done anything. But, I'll take that answer as "I wouldn't have traded my life for either Pickle or Orca earlier in this game."

The only players I could've imagined saving were sanchez and Dome, as they both implied that they had abilities of (somewhat) value. Neither was a strong vibe, and I didn't think sanchez would be hit.

1 minute ago, SwAg said:

No, that’s why you should have just made something up to survive, and clean it up before you die if it didn’t help.  That way no harm is done.

Me, as a new player, making up something to survive only risks catching me in a lie right now. At this point, a lie told by the #1 target is a quick death.

14 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Nah. I've already said that I shouldn't be saved. (Forge alluded to as much with his ability as the game moves forward. Those instances happen.)

Not only is my ability situational, and results in my death anyway, but voting me will prove that there's a scum roleblock. That's crucial information at this point in the game.

Your role is similar to what Jason had last game.  His was at lynch it would prevent any kills that night.  Yours is a direct trade of your life for the player you are targeting.

Not protecting sanchez on n2 after the d2 results is problematic.  That is effectively your job as town to take the hit for a player that has an investigation type role

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Me, as a new player, making up something to survive only risks catching me in a lie right now. At this point, a lie told by the #1 target is a quick death.

lol, isnt that what is happening with your lie about being the protector? 😁

If you are a protector, my b. But I think you are BS'ing.