Week 1 GDT: LA Chargers @ Washington Football Team - Sept 12, 1 PM EST, CBS

MikeT14

Just now, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Rivera has done fine so far but look at the Bill O’Brien era in Houston to know why you should never let a coach GM. Coaches worry about winning on the next Sunday, a good GM focuses on winning a super bowl

We've experienced too much pain and suffering to have something in the realm of BoB.

Let us never mention that name ever again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Troublez said:

This is the deepest our team has been in 20 years.... Given the state of offense when Ron took over, he has done an excellent job building a roster.  It's indisputable.

I don’t know about that. People/radio talking heads & beat reporters have been throwing this around all offseason. I think people forget about the 2005-2006 Washington Redskins and how deep that team was. 

18 hours ago, Woz said:

*shrugs* On the whole, he's done well, but not enough to just assume success in my book.

Good he may be, but he has only started more than half a season once in his career.

If Samuel had been on say Las Vegas's roster before coming to Washington, it might not be as questionable in my view. It's just that this feels like yet another Carolina player we took simply because they were a former Carolina player without considering if he was the best available.

Not only that but literally the entire league knew where Curtis Samuel was going to sign. It was one of the most telegraphed moves of the off-season. Hurney as well. The moment he was fired we all knew where he was going. I understand surrounding yourself with people you are comfortable with but what he did with Hurney in Carolina didn’t work. Why try to replicate that other than giving Rivera a safe space?

I don’t want Rivera fired but I’d like to see him challenge the deficiencies they had in Carolina i.e. Hurney instead of getting the band back together. I think the limits theY reached in Carolina is what our ceiling is and I’m not okay with that. I think hiring a more talented GM should’ve been the major priority but instead we get three guys who all failed at the job. 

Big game today. I’m very apprehensive about this team. I literally don’t know what to think. I look at our roster and think we should be better. Then, I look at our schedule and wonder if we can win 9 games. Going to be an exciting season regardless. I can’t wait to watch this defense today.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Not only that but literally the entire league knew where Curtis Samuel was going to sign. It was one of the most telegraphed moves of the off-season. Hurney as well. The moment he was fired we all knew where he was going. I understand surrounding yourself with people you are comfortable with but what he did with Hurney in Carolina didn’t work. Why try to replicate that other than giving Rivera a safe space?

I don’t want Rivera fired but I’d like to see him challenge the deficiencies they had in Carolina i.e. Hurney instead of getting the band back together. I think the limits theY reached in Carolina is what our ceiling is and I’m not okay with that. I think hiring a more talented GM should’ve been the major priority but instead we get three guys who all failed at the job. 

I’ll take Rivera’s limit in Carolina, give me a Super Bowl appearance where they nearly won it all over what Washington has done since 1993.

“What to watch on D : 1) Justin Herbert's protection: With 4 new OL starters, it's an issue. Herbert will be difficult even if the protection suffers. A key will be rookie Rashawn Slater vs. Chase Young. Slater's quick hands make for a strong matchup. 2) Austin Ekeler. Watch the screen game; if he's close to 100 percent he'll be trouble. 3) LB alignments. Look for a lot of two-LB looks with 3 safety sets. Jamin Davis' play time will be interesting; he played more in base than nickel this summer.”

What to watch on O: 1) Multiple looks by Chargers' D. Brandon Staley loves to change up alignments to confuse teams. It worked with the more-talented Rams' D. Will it here? Having a veteran QB like Ryan Fitzpatrick should help. 2) Be patient. The Chargers' play a lot of split safety sets; don't force the issue in the pass game and don't abandon the run. Draw them up, then hit. 3) RT Sam Cosmi vs. Joey Bosa. A big challenge right away for the rookie; he's faced top ends in practice so that help.”

I don’t know why I realized this just now, but Bosa vs Cosmi is a huge match up for us. It could be a long, long day for Fitz if Cosmi can’t hold up vs Bosa.

Edited by turtle28