Texans trade CB Bradley Roby to Saints

RaidersAreOne

17 hours ago, Dome said:

I remember just a few months ago when  people were salivating over the certainty that the Saints were going to have to start voiding contracts and field nothing but UDFAs to be able to play in 2021. 

Funny how that talk fizzled out when the Saints fixed their cap following the same strategy fans and beat writers had been saying they would use the entire previous season. 

Glad to see the narrative hasn’t changed…. I’m ready for another year of it.

They're still kicking the cap down the road.  At some point, you have to start taking on that dead money.  The only difference with Roby is there is no dead money since the only dead money would have been the signing bonus, which Houston eats in order to get the draft pick.  The Saints get a solid starting CB for a year at a cheap price, and the Texans get a solid pick in return.  Solid deal all-around.  

New Orleans is currently 5th in dead cap behind Philadelphia ($50.1M), Detroit ($48.1M), Carolina ($45.6M), and LA Rams ($39.5M).  If you look at the Eagles' books, you've got 4 players with dead cap north of $2M including Carson Wentz ($33.8M), DeSean Jackson ($5.8M), Alshon Jeffrey ($5.6M), and Malik Jackson ($3.6M).  If you look at the Lions' books, you've got 6 players who have dead cap of $2M+ with Matt Stafford ($19M), Justin Coleman ($6.1M), Desmond Trufant ($6M), Jesse James ($4.3M), Christian Jones ($2.2M), and Breshad Perriman ($2M).  The Panthers' book have 5 players with $2M+ in dead cap including Teddy Bridgewater ($17.1M), Kawann Short ($11M), Luke Kuechly ($7.1M), Tre Boston ($2.7M), and Stephen Weatherly ($2M).  And if you look at the Rams' book, you have 4 players making up $2M+ of dead cap with Jared Goff ($24.7M), Todd Gurley ($8.4M), Leonard Floyd ($3.3M), and Michael Brockers ($2.7M).  All four of those teams have one thing in common.  They all traded their QBs this past offseason, which led to a SIGNIFICANT amount of their cap space tied into that dead cap.

But the most important part is their projected 2022 cap space (excluding any potential FAs).  Philadelphia has a projected $28.2M in cap space, Detroit is at $43.1M, Carolina is at $47.1M, and the LA Rams are at 7.3M.  Compared to the Saints which are at -$20.7M in cap space.  Oh, and they don't have a franchise QB.

15 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

It really is kind of surprising how little fans seem to understand the many (many, many, many, many, many) ways the cap can be manipulated.

Yes and no.  Yes, you can kick money into future years but at some point you have to pay the piper.  I mean, is anyone really envious of the Saints' position?  Because I'm not.  They're more than $20M projected over next year's salary cap, they're rolling with Jameis Winston as their starting QB, and multiple key FAs next offseason with no extra draft picks.

17 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:
19 hours ago, Dome said:

I remember just a few months ago when  people were salivating over the certainty that the Saints were going to have to start voiding contracts and field nothing but UDFAs to be able to play in 2021. 

Funny how that talk fizzled out when the Saints fixed their cap following the same strategy fans and beat writers had been saying they would use the entire previous season. 

Glad to see the narrative hasn’t changed…. I’m ready for another year of it.

It really is kind of surprising how little fans seem to understand the many (many, many, many, many, many) ways the cap can be manipulated.

I mean...the Saints have THIRTY SEVEN MILLION in dead cap space this year.

That's manipulation I suppose, but it makes your team bad - so that's the obvious trade-off. New Orleans has a 20% cap disadvantage this year. That's likely to show up on the scoreboard the next several months...

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I mean...the Saints have THIRTY SEVEN MILLION in dead cap space this year.

That's manipulation I suppose, but it makes your team bad - so that's the obvious trade-off. New Orleans has a 20% cap disadvantage this year. That's likely to show up on the scoreboard the next several months...

Now watch the Saint actually be good this year not being limited offensively by Drew Brees' inability to throw more than 5 passes over 10 yards in a 3 game stretch.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:46 AM, CWood21 said:

Yes, you can kick money into future years but at some point you have to pay the piper.

The Saints manage their cap by rolling money into future years and paying it off chunks at a time, not all at once. People who keep using this cliche when talking about the Saints cap situation seem to forget they've been doing this for a long time now.

there isn't going to be some "pay the piper" moment, they've been paying the piper every year in the form of dead money from previous years.

You can pay the piper on a payment plan 😄

I mean, is anyone really envious of the Saints' position?  Because I'm not.  

Great young O-Line

Great young WR

Great young RB

All-pro returner who is getting comfortable in the offense

Great DL that is still young sans Cam Jordan, who wasn't at his best last year when the defense was rolling people.

Cornerstone CB in Lattimore

Young slot CB whos carving out a name for himself as a trash talker who can back it up in CGJ

Great ballhawking FS

I bet there are lots of fans that look at the Saints and see plenty to be envious of.

They're more than $20M projected over next year's salary cap,

Loomis is salivating at this. We were like $28m over last year and brought in multiple FAs again despite being in "cap hell" already.

they're rolling with Jameis Winston as their starting QB

That man was HANGRY yesterday, I'm happy with him so far. Lets not act like Brees was lighting it up the last few years. 

and multiple key FAs next offseason with no extra draft picks.

Who are the FAs we're needing to lock up besides Marcus Williams? Since you don't seem to think paying Winston is a good idea.

Edited by Dome