Game 1: San Francisco 49ers @ Detroit Lions

Louis Friend

Just now, LionArkie said:

He goes in as a Lion, his wife goes in as a Ram.

Calvin did not seem to be hampered by the lack of success in his HOF induction. Stafford has thrown a ton of yards and TD's in a Lions uniform, which would make a larger part of the basis for his consideration. Playing on a team with McVay at the helm and guys like Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey is only going to come with high expectations. 

He'd have 15 accrued years in the NFL - 12 as a Lion; 3 as a Ram. The bulk of his career would be in Detroit while the bulk of his post-season success would be in LA. 

It's an intriguing question. 

10 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Calvin did not seem to be hampered by the lack of success in his HOF induction. Stafford has thrown a ton of yards and TD's in a Lions uniform, which would make a larger part of the basis for his consideration. Playing on a team with McVay at the helm and guys like Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey is only going to come with high expectations. 

He'd have 15 accrued years in the NFL - 12 as a Lion; 3 as a Ram. The bulk of his career would be in Detroit while the bulk of his post-season success would be in LA. 

It's an intriguing question. 

It really is.  And not sure I care much.  I would understand why he wore either team.  He will likely end up top 10 all time in passing yards when he retires, maybe top 5 or 6 if he plays 5 or 6 more years.  It depends on what Big ben, Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers do the next couple of years.  So if he has any post season success, he will be a HOF regardless but if he wins a championship with the Rams, I would lean he would go in as a Ram. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

It really is.  And not sure I care much.  I would understand why he wore either team.  He will likely end up top 10 all time in passing yards when he retires, maybe top 5 or 6 if he plays 5 or 6 more years.  It depends on what Big ben, Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers do the next couple of years.  So if he has any post season success, he will be a HOF regardless but if he wins a championship with the Rams, I would lean he would go in as a Ram. 

He’s going to be top ten in some categories over the next two seasons. I believe he will be in the HOF. If he wins in L.A. I expect he enters as a Ram. If he doesn’t it will depend on where he has the most attachment. It may be Detroit but I’m not sure how long it will take to erase the struggles in Detroit.

He's going in as a Ram.

Stafford essentially dead to me as a player. Couldn't win here and ask to be moved. Appropriate maybe, but, you're either with me or against me(the Lions) and if you turn your back to me, you don't get to turn around when you feel like it.

Both parties moving on. It's fine. 

Stafford looked great against a bad team, we'll see what happens when he plays Seattle at Seattle. ETC.

An Kelly, just, idk, spoiled brat. I know her health issues and do wish her the best on those fronts, but sheesh has she had a comfortable life where she's so freely able to voice some non-sense opinions with essentially no recourse. 

LIONS obviously have to look for a QB. We just have to. Goff is captain check down, and will never really stretch the field. He'll keep the offense essentially predictable. 

It'll be a fun year for college and watching all the college QB's, WR's, Pass rushers.

The last part of the 49ers game imo, was Matthew Staffords career in a nut-shell here with the exception of a couple other good/pretty throws earlier in the game.

Stat padding at the end so the box score doesn't look like it was the train wreck it was. * Stafford wasn't a train wreck, but he stat padded alot at the end of games.

Edited by SimbaWho

25 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

He's going in as a Ram.

Stafford essentially dead to me as a player. Couldn't win here and ask to be moved. Appropriate maybe, but, you're either with me or against me(the Lions) and if you turn your back to me, you don't get to turn around when you feel like it.

Stafford looked great against a bad team, we'll see what happens when he plays Seattle at Seattle. ETC.

An Kelly, just, idk, spoiled brat. I know her health issues and do wish her the best on those fronts, but sheesh has she had a comfortable life where she's so freely able to voice some non-sense opinions with essentially no recourse. 

LIONS obviously have to look for a QB. We just have to. Goff is captain check down, and will never really stretch the field. He'll keep the offense essentially predictable. 

It'll be a fun year for college and watching all the college QB's, WR's, Pass rushers.

Woah. Strong take.

There are lots of great players that fail to win championships, and there are often different reasons for their inability to achieve team success. I don't put our struggles here on Stafford at all.

I'm personally not a fan of calling someone a "spoiled brat" without getting to know that person. There's a substantial portion of the population in places like the U.S. that could be considered "spoiled brats". It should take more than just living a life of comfort before earning such a label.

31 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

The last part of the 49ers game imo, was Matthew Staffords career in a nut-shell here with the exception of a couple other good/pretty throws earlier in the game.

Stat padding at the end so the box score doesn't look like it was the train wreck it was. * Stafford wasn't a train wreck, but he stat padded alot at the end of games.

Also a strong take. Stat padding? He threw for 26 yards and a TD in the entire 4th quarter.

I do agree that it's accurate to Stafford's career in DET, though: even when he plays well, DET fans will find a reason to criticize him.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SimbaWho said:

He's going in as a Ram.

The guy went through more coaches and offensive coordinators than could be expected in two careers. Stafford earned the right to move on. He didn’t turn his back to anyone and has been nothing but gracious to the organization, fans and city. 

It’s a short life and athletes have a small window to achieve their goals. It will take the Lions four years to be able to think about a SB and at that point what does Stafford have left? The team likely didn’t want him here anyway. 

As for Stafford wife. I don’t know her so I won’t comment.

It might help Goff if he had receivers  that can get open downfield. I have no doubt they draft a young QB I just hope they continue to build the team, first!

• Like 2

On 9/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Also a strong take. Stat padding? He threw for 26 yards and a TD in the entire 4th quarter.

I do agree that it's accurate to Stafford's career in DET, though: even when he plays well, DET fans will find a reason to criticize him.

I don't remember referencing Staffords time with the Rams... The post was clearly about when he was a Lion and how he stat padded at times just like Goff did in that 4th quarter. That was the correlation I was making between the two.

Staffords clearly better. An good. He's just not here, and I don't care about him anymore. 

An someone has to have hot take opinions on here to get people to talk... other wise it's a huge kumbaya session with all the same opinions. 9_9

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

I don't remember referencing Staffords time with the Rams... The post was clearly about when he was a Lion and how he stat padded at times just like Goff did in that 4th quarter. That was the correlation I was making between the two.

Staffords clearly better. An good. He's just not here, and I don't care about him anymore. 

An someone has to have hot take opinions on here to get people to talk... other wise it's a huge kumbaya session with all the same opinions. 9_9

Fair. Missed that completely.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 9:19 PM, diehardlionfan said:

The guy went through more coaches and offensive coordinators than could be expected in two careers. Stafford earned the right to move on. He didn’t turn his back to anyone and has been nothing but gracious to the organization, fans and city. 

It’s a short life and athletes have a small window to achieve their goals. It will take the Lions four years to be able to think about a SB and at that point what does Stafford have left? The team likely didn’t want him here anyway. 

As for Stafford wife. I don’t know her so I won’t comment.

It might help Goff if he had receivers  that can get open downfield. I have no doubt they draft a young QB I just hope they continue to build the team, first!

Well yeah, I agree with the last part. It's just, QB or not, they've never really been able to prove they can draft/sign/build a team around... anyone or anything...

It's why this new staff is semi exciting. A dominate Oline can hide a whole lot of things and I think they're trying to peice that together. IF Decker stayed healthy I think Lions could of been one of the better run blocking teams in the league this year. Might be a blessing though cause Sewell looked amazing to me as a rookie.

* Also Decker isn't bad. Teams around the league would cough up high draft picks if you wanted to go that route. I like just having two bookends personally so I wouldn't move him regardless but if Lions move him for a 1st rdp or multiple mid rounders. I'll understand.

Edited by SimbaWho