The Taylor Heinecke Thread

lavar703

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

When you read this quickly, you're like "uh okay". But, think about it for a second. If we get Mitch/Jimmy/etc and take a QB at #11, that could easily make Taylor the #3 QB. Are you gonna pay your #3 QB $2.3 million against the cap? Now I think this goes to what happens at #11. If it's Willis - he's a guy who might be the #3 QB all season. Still, this is something that COULD happen, even if as of now I wouldn't bet on it. 

What I think happens is Heinecke gets dealt somewhere for someone's bust. N'Keal Harry possibly or even Isiah Simmons. Obviously Simmons we're involving a pick or two but I think that's what happens. It would give the Cardinals a quality back up option if Murray plays hardball with them. I just don't see Heinecke coming back. 

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I'm going to put it out there that I don't believe Heinecke will be on this team next year.

I wouldn't be surprised, but it would be unbelievably stupid.  When was the last time we needed less than 3 qbs in a season?  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I wouldn't be surprised, but it would be unbelievably stupid.  When was the last time we needed less than 3 qbs in a season?  

They aren’t going to pay Trubisky/Mariota, draft a guy and pay Heinecke. It just doesn’t make sense. 

15 hours ago, lavar703 said:

What I think happens is Heinecke gets dealt somewhere for someone's bust. N'Keal Harry possibly or even Isiah Simmons. Obviously Simmons we're involving a pick or two but I think that's what happens. It would give the Cardinals a quality back up option if Murray plays hardball with them. I just don't see Heinecke coming back. 

I don’t see it, Heinicke will be our #2 behind whoever we sign or trade for.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly what I was thinking, even if Heinicke is our #3 that’s cheap for a back up QB.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

It’s pocket change that can be spent elsewhere when you draft a guy and sign another guy. 

Bingo. $2.8 million for your #2 guy is pocket change. $2.8 million for your #3 is kind of a waste. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It’s pocket change that can be spent elsewhere when you draft a guy and sign another guy. 

This is the easiest decision not to make.  He is under contract, just eat the 2.8 and we are secure at the position.

I think this is the syndrome we get in washington where we don't appreciate what we have.  Heinicke is not our future, but he sure as hell can be a decent spot starter. 

If we are gonna to split hairs over 2.8 million for a reliable backup it is truly the ultimate contradiction.  Every day Washington seems to be talking so much smack about how important solving the qb problem is and then we are going to worry about a couple million in cap space to have a reliable backup?  Instead we will spend a ton of money on Trubisky when we could have gotten him cheaper than that 2.8 million last year.  

We throw money away on guys like Landon Collins, Samuels, Brandon Scherff, etc. but worry about this?  

Our starting qbs:(I am not using Jason Wrights version of football years, for his version add one year)

2021 Fitzpatrick, Heinicke, Allen, Gilbert

2020 Alex Smith, Haskins, Kyle Allen, Heinicke,

2019 Keenum, Haskins, McCoy,

2018 Alex Smith, Josh Johnson, McCoy and Mark Sanchez  

Should we really be quibbling about paying the #3 guy 2.8M when history points to us needing a 4th guy? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Should we really be quibbling about paying the #3 guy 2.8M when history points to us needing a 4th guy? 

Yes. If we're on the 3rd guy, our season is in trouble. It would also make him the most expensive 3rd QB in the league. There's a reason for that. You don't pay your 3rd guy a lot. 

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Bingo. $2.8 million for your #2 guy is pocket change. $2.8 million for your #3 is kind of a waste. 

I don’t think Heinicke will be our #3 actually. If we sign Bridgewater/ Mariota/Trubisky & draft a QB in round 1 or 2 then the rookie will be #3, Heinicke will be #2, and he may even beat out Bridgewater/Mariota or Trubisky to start.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Heinicke will be our #3 actually. If we sign Bridgewater/ Mariota/Trubisky & draft a QB in round 1 or 2 then the rookie will be #3, Heinicke will be #2, and he may even beat out Bridgewater/Mariota or Trubisky to start.

Very well could be. Like I've said before, I've got no issue at all with him being our #2 guy. 

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So you think they’d keep an even more expensive #3 QB? I’m not buying it. If you sign Trubisky to a decent contract and then take one of the QBs at 11 you’re not going to then spend $3M on Heinecke to basically never play. Heinecke can be dealt. I’d imagine he has a little value. Nothing crazy but like I said he could be tossed into an Isiah Simmons trade. 

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

So you think they’d keep an even more expensive #3 QB? I’m not buying it. If you sign Trubisky to a decent contract and then take one of the QBs at 11 you’re not going to then spend $3M on Heinecke to basically never play. Heinecke can be dealt. I’d imagine he has a little value. Nothing crazy but like I said he could be tossed into an Isiah Simmons trade. 

They were doing that last year!! Yes, I think Heinicke is on the team. We paid Colt $3 million to be our back up when Kirk was making $24 million in 2017. The only way Heinicke isn’t at least the #2 on this team is if we tender Kyle Allen and he beats out Heinicke to be the back up to whoever our starter is. If that happens and we also draft a QB, the we’ll trade Heinicke for a late round pick to a team that needs a back up like the Jags did w/ Minshew last year.

Isaiah Simmons?? He’s not in the trading block, is he? 

He also plays the same position as the you’re favorite player on the team Jamin Davis 😂 jk, who they just drafted in round 1 last year & like his upside. I wouldn’t be shocked if Jamin takes a jump like Simmons did his 2nd year, in fact their stats weren’t too different as rookies.

Simmons: 54 tackles, 4 tackles for loss, 3 QB hits, 2 sacks 1 int, 2 passes defensed

Davis: 76 tackles, 1 sack, 3 tackles for loss, 2 QB hits, 1 pass defensed

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

That is an interesting take.  But if trading him(getting value) is the move, then you keep Heinicke on the roster and hope to trade him before the deadline to a team who got an injury and needs a qb.  Otherwise we aren't getting much.

I am still befuddled by the idea that we are going to pay Trubisky like 8M/year for a few years and then draft a 1st round qb.  Why not pay Heinicke 2.8M and draft the qb if we are worrying about saving a couple million dollars of cap space.