The Taylor Heinecke Thread

lavar703

On 11/30/2021 at 12:18 AM, mar29020 said:

Taylor is better then first year kirk. We need to treat taylor like a draft pick and give him time. He can play his tail off!

I haven’t changed my position on a plan for QB next year. I think Taylor should be our starting QB unless we are able to trade for a guy who’s currently a franchise QB but wants out of their current situation - which I doubt happens but if we can get a franchise QB, we need to do that.

I definitely think we should draft a QB at some point in this draft to develop. We need a QB who’s in his early 20s to groom to at worst be our back up of the future.

I’d also be shocked if Kyle Allen is re-signed by Rivera as despite what people think, Rivera/Turner believe that Kyle Allen can at least be a good back up for us. So, I think he’ll be back. 

The question becomes what do we do with the the 3rd QB in the off-season. As I said, if we can get a franchise QB - which so doubt - in February or March, we should do that and that guy would be #1 w/ Heinicke as #2 & Allen as #3. If we can’t get a franchise QB then we should draft a QB. It doesn’t have to be a first round QB but I’m not opposed to drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 just bc Heinicke is playing well. We have to think about this team long term.

Heinicke is playing well, I’m happy he is but that doesn’t mean he’s for sure our franchise QB for the next 10 years. We need to plan this off-season as though that guy still isn’t on our roster even though there is a chance that the guy may be in Taylor Heinicke.

• Like 1

I don’t know if you all were listening to the Kevin Sheehan show the other day, but he asked Rivera if he viewed Heinicke as a Redshirt Rookie & Ron said yeah, that’s a great way to describe him. Heinicke is a rookie in term of games played, but he’s been waiting for his time for a few years.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know if you all were listening to the Kevin Sheehan show the other day, but he asked Rivera if he viewed Heinicke as a Redshirt Rookie & Ron said yeah, that’s a great way to describe him. Heinicke is a rookie in term of games played, but he’s been waiting for his time for a few years.

That's the way it used to work back in the day . Nobody expected a rookie to start and play . Though I think The Redskins threw Norm Snead out there in the 60's . 🧐

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Heinicke is playing well, I’m happy he is but that doesn’t mean he’s for sure our franchise QB for the next 10 years. We need to plan this off-season as though that guy still isn’t on our roster even though there is a chance that the guy may be in Taylor Heinicke.

I think this needs to stop being the focus.  If it happens great, but frankly I would be ecstatic love to have the same starting qb for 3-5 years.  A lot can happen in the modern NFL during that time.  

5 hours ago, mar29020 said:

if this guy was a 1st round pick the fan base would be on fire. 

I wouldn't. The splits are aggressively average.

Someone on reddit said that we as a fanbase got so accustomed to bad quarterbacking that when we get subpar quarterbacking we think its somehow the solution.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

I wouldn't. The splits are aggressively average.

Someone on reddit said that we as a fanbase got so accustomed to bad quarterbacking that when we get subpar quarterbacking we think its somehow the solution.

He’s some guy we pulled off the scrap heap and he’s turned himself into a serviceable starter. I have no illusions of him being the long-term QB here but he’s fun to watch. As I’ve said many times I still think QB is our main focus in the off-season. That doesn’t take away from what a 28-year old diminutive QB with a weak arm is doing in his first year as a starter. 

I'm so mad at Pam Oliver ( the sideline reporter yesterday ) for (TWICE ) calling him Taylor Heineken ! Come on woman-can't you do your job and pronounce or learn the starting QBs name !? It's not that hard . It's Heinicke . HINE ICK EEE !

Ha ! just realized Lavar misspelled it on the tittle of this thread . oh well . Maybe it is hard.

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 1

right now he has more td's then lamar jackson, derek carr, and matt ryan. He's had a beat up line and his star tight end out pretty much all year along with samuel. Combine that with he is a 1st year starter and his defense was the worst in the league the first 8 games. Now, he has rallied off a 4 games winning streak beating tom brady and has led game winning drives. Yet you guy wants to look elsewhere again. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. We could end up with another clown in the draft.

6 hours ago, mar29020 said:

right now he has more td's then lamar jackson, derek carr, and matt ryan. He's had a beat up line and his star tight end out pretty much all year along with samuel. Combine that with he is a 1st year starter and his defense was the worst in the league the first 8 games. Now, he has rallied off a 4 games winning streak beating tom brady and has led game winning drives. Yet you guy wants to look elsewhere again. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. We could end up with another clown in the draft.

I like Taylor a lot but I just don’t envision him as the long-term starter. His arm just gets him in too much trouble. He nearly threw the game away and lucked out that Moehrig dropped the ball. Taylor can start next year but we have to look at someone in the draft.