The Taylor Heinecke Thread

lavar703

One thing we don't say enough is how Taylor came to be our starter.  Not only he didn't get first reps in camp, but he started at a time where the team kept shooting themselves in the foot, starting with the fumble of Griffen in the SD game.  If that doesn't happen we probably win that game.  Then the D just went back to vacation.  I mean we were ranked last in the league, imagine if we had a QB ranked top 5 the year before and then took THAT kind of dive.  

Now the team is gelling.  And you can see how Taylor's play is top top 5 now.  He is also given more freedom to play his game, unlike trying to make him a pocket QB.  Also loosing Logan, and Samuel was huge, now Carter has come along and Bates has improved.  Imagine getting Logan and Samuel back also in the next couple of weeks.  It will be interesting.

All I got to say last night, the same D that Taylor destroyed just a week ago, make Jones look like a journeyman QB.  hell if no one knew who was who, Taylor looked like a top 5 pick against Tamp and Jones looked like he was bagging bags at Giant.

3 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

One thing we don't say enough is how Taylor came to be our starter.  Not only he didn't get first reps in camp, but he started at a time where the team kept shooting themselves in the foot, starting with the fumble of Griffen in the SD game.  If that doesn't happen we probably win that game.  Then the D just went back to vacation.  I mean we were ranked last in the league, imagine if we had a QB ranked top 5 the year before and then took THAT kind of dive.  

Now the team is gelling.  And you can see how Taylor's play is top top 5 now.  He is also given more freedom to play his game, unlike trying to make him a pocket QB.  Also loosing Logan, and Samuel was huge, now Carter has come along and Bates has improved.  Imagine getting Logan and Samuel back also in the next couple of weeks.  It will be interesting.

All I got to say last night, the same D that Taylor destroyed just a week ago, make Jones look like a journeyman QB.  hell if no one knew who was who, Taylor looked like a top 5 pick against Tamp and Jones looked like he was bagging bags at Giant.

The only place I’d disagree with this is the assumption that Heinicke is playing like a top 5 QB. I’d say he’s playing like a top half of the league starter and last month he was playing like a bottom 10 starter. 

I think is the last year that Danny Dimes is going to be just given the job in NY, or it should be. They have to either draft a QB high to compete with him or sign an average type vet to compete with him. He shouldn’t be handed that job. In Jones’s defense, Barkley has missed most of the last two years, Galloday is hurt/in and out of the line up, I think Sheppard missed some time as has Evan Ingram again and their interior OL is trash. 

I mean if we’re going to say reasons why Heinicke had a bad month last month or hasn’t been as consistent at times when we want him to be, we should acknowledge that the Giants offense has those same issues.

I mean our scouts are gonna prepare for this draft like any other. QB should def be scouted any year. But I think watching Taylor progress is awesome and if it continues it really allows us to go BPA and with this class meaning they don’t need to draft a guy round 1. Now I worry they like Willis and they will plan to groom him with Taylor being the guy next year. I’m enjoying the growth. I hope he continues it. I have no problem using assets in the draft to get a guy they really like. I’d prefer in this class it not be their top pick unless it’s absolutely their guy avalible.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 8:37 AM, TheGreeK1973 said:

Taylor is playing well, his play is not top 5 in the NFL. Taylor is playing very well, he’s not playing like a top 5 QB. He is playing like a top half of the league starter though.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Taylor is playing well, his play is not top 5 in the NFL. Taylor is playing very well, he’s not playing like a top 5 QB. He is playing like a top half of the league starter though.

He's in the top 10 IMHO . Hellova throw to D Carter over the middle on a crucial down . 

11 hours ago, mar29020 said:

Taylor is better then first year kirk. We need to treat taylor like a draft pick and give him time. He can play his tail off!

I haven’t changed my position on a plan for QB next year. I think Taylor should be our starting QB unless we are able to trade for a guy who’s currently a franchise QB but wants out of their current situation - which I doubt happens but if we can get a franchise QB, we need to do that.

I definitely think we should draft a QB at some point in this draft to develop. We need a QB who’s in his early 20s to groom to at worst be our back up of the future.

I’d also be shocked if Kyle Allen is re-signed by Rivera as despite what people think, Rivera/Turner believe that Kyle Allen can at least be a good back up for us. So, I think he’ll be back. 

The question becomes what do we do with the the 3rd QB in the off-season. As I said, if we can get a franchise QB - which so doubt - in February or March, we should do that and that guy would be #1 w/ Heinicke as #2 & Allen as #3. If we can’t get a franchise QB then we should draft a QB. It doesn’t have to be a first round QB but I’m not opposed to drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 just bc Heinicke is playing well. We have to think about this team long term.

Heinicke is playing well, I’m happy he is but that doesn’t mean he’s for sure our franchise QB for the next 10 years. We need to plan this off-season as though that guy still isn’t on our roster even though there is a chance that the guy may be in Taylor Heinicke.