The Taylor Heinecke Thread

lavar703

4 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I rewatchd the final drive. The throws to Carter and Humphries were top shelf, really nice throws, on time, some zip, very accurate. Then to find McKissic as the fifth read at the end.. wow . I can't decide yet if he's gonna be The Guy or not . Guess he is for the time being .Sure saw some really bad throws too. I know this much- can't wait for Sunday .

Just ride the wave buddy for as long as it last with Heinicke. That’s what I’m doing. I don’t really expect him to be our guy long term bc we aren’t that lucky as a team but, I’d love to see it happen.

• Like 1

Some good, some bad, but I will say if Heinicke wants to keep this game long term he’s going to have to learn to take the check down when nothing is there like he did on the last play of the game & while I like him taking chances, he has to throw the ball more where only our guys can get it bc as we all know he was lucky not to have 3 or 4 ints last Sunday.

Study: Washington Football Team struck QB Gold w/ Taylor Heinicke?!

https://youtu.be/sNPs7K2NzuY via @YouTube

I hate to post something positive about Heinicke after he played his 2nd worse game as a football teamer - yes, the Buffalo game was worse - he’s still on pace to have a pretty solid season should he start the rest of the way.

I know it’s not an exact science but if you average it out, Heinicke would finish the season at:

64%, 4100 yds, 27 TDs passing (3 TDs rushing) and 17 ints 

Even if he did this, I still think we should take a QB in round 1 next year but, those #s would be impressive for a guy in his first year starting in the NFL.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Heinecke is fun to watch. The dudes an undrafted free agent giving it his all out there and he’s held his own pretty well. I’m still looking forward to this team picking its eventual franchise QB. 

Yeah, at worst he’s a career back up for us which is good. I don’t think he can be a long term starter but a spot starter when we have an injury to our starter for a few games he can win some games.

I think Turner and Riveria have ruined Heiny by trying to make him a pocket passer. Zero runs yesterday. Look at Mahomes , he's best outside the pocket on the run . Heiny is what he he's . Probaly not a starter in the NFL but when turned loose to be himself- he can make plays and win some games. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I think Turner and Riveria have ruined Heiny by trying to make him a pocket passer. Zero runs yesterday. Look at Mahomes , he's best outside the pocket on the run . Heiny is what he he's . Probaly not a starter in the NFL but when turned loose to be himself- he can make plays and win some games. 

Yep I 100% agree. Guys like Heinicke, Romo, Flutie, McNabb, Colt McCoy amongst others who play better off schedule back yard football than structured on schedule football you have to allow them do just play how they play naturally. Heinicke has looked like he’s overthinking things too much the last two weeks and he’s not playing as free as he did vs the Bucs in the playoffs or the first 4 games of this season.

That being said, Heinicke said in his interview that the Chiefs played their DL so there were no lanes for him to run. Their DEs contained him in the pockets and their DTs clogged the gaps so he couldn’t run up the middle either. They played their D to keep him in the pocket.

Edited by turtle28

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yep I 100% agree. Guys like Heinicke, Romo, Flutie, McNabb, Colt McCoy amongst others who play better off schedule back yard football than structured on schedule football you have to allow them do just play how they play naturally. Heinicke has looked like he’s overthinking things too much the last two weeks and he’s not playing as free as he did vs the Bucs in the playoffs or the first 4 games of this season.

That being said, Heinicke said in his interview that the Chiefs played their DL so there were no lanes for him to run. Their DEs contained him in the pockets and their DTs clogged the gaps so he couldn’t run up the middle either. They played their D to keep him in the pocket.

Guess the Pocket is his Krptonite !

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Guess the Pocket is his Krptonite !

Yeah which it was the same way a lot of times for Flutie, Romo, McNabb, Colt & others. Those QBs were much better off schedule than on schedule, heck you could even say the same for RG3. He made his biggest plays when he was off schedule making something happen out of the pocket.

I’ll never forget the discussions we had in this forum in 2010 regarding McNabb & how to me it seemed the Shanahan’s wanted to change the way a 34 year old QB’s playing style after he had been playing a certain way in Philly for 11 years. Some people thought it was all McNabb, I think it was a combination of both and I leaned more toward Kyle Shanahan being more of the problem than McNabb bc Kyle wanted his offense played the way he designed it and that was never going to be how Donovan McNabb played. That was the main reason why Kyle didn’t want us to trade for McNabb, he wanted to sign Mark Bulger to compete with Rex Grossman for our starting job in 2010.

Oh well, can’t change what happened that year now, but it does seem like Scott & Rivera are trying to reign in Taylor to make him play more from the pocket so he doesn’t get hurt rather than just letting him go out and play the way he’s always played and the way he plays best. If he gets hurt, so be it, but at least he’ll be most effective playing off schedule.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Imagine that.

I wonder if our defense and coaches know this mythical style of defense? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Imagine that.

I wonder if our defense and coaches know this mythical style of defense? 

They used that D vs the Bills, or tried to but Chase evaded his responsibilities on the edge to contain Josh Allen often as he rushed too far upfield which allowed Josh Allen to step up in the pocket to the area where Chase evaded his responsibility. I feel the same thing happened yesterday vs Mahomes a lot.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Well, Rivera said he wanted a "game manager". Yesterday's game reminded me of the worst aspects of watching Alex Smith in this offense last year

I saw Heinicke take a lot of chances in the first quarter and overthrow Terry 3 times on what could’ve been huge plays. After they saw how inaccurate Taylor was, it seemed they reeled him in to try to get him to hit short to intermediate receivers more than just forcing it to Terry every other pass.

Taylor did hit RSJ on that 39-yard TD though.

What they should do with Heinicke is run some read option with him & some bootlegs, especially down inside the red-zone. They’re trying to protect him too much by coaching him to stay in the pocket to him from getting injured instead of putting him positions to where he can use his athleticism and play to the best of his abilities making off scheduled plays.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I saw Heinicke take a lot of chances in the first quarter and overthrow Terry 3 times on what could’ve been huge plays. After they saw how inaccurate Taylor was, it seemed they reeled him in to try to get him to hit short to intermediate receivers more than just forcing it to Terry every other pass.

Taylor did hit RSJ on that 39-yard TD though.

What they should do with Heinicke is run some read option with him & some bootlegs, especially down inside the red-zone. They’re trying to protect him too much by coaching him to stay in the pocket to him from getting injured instead of putting him positions to where he can use his athleticism and play to the best of his abilities making off scheduled plays.

Half of that was YAC. But did you see the playcall? It was a fake screen and that was why RSJ was wide open. We have thrown so much short stuff the defense was keying on it. And we stopped trying the very thing that we scored our lone TD on.

But yeah, your last part was what I was referring to.