CFB GOTW THREAD - #12 NOTRE DAME AT #18 WISCONSIN

MikeT14

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Our current OC got his start coaching the punt team for Nebraska (yeah that punch line writes itself). Not at all disqualifying.

You could have said you coach figure skating and I'd tell you to ******* apply at this point.

Tbh, I’d basically run Iowa’s offense. I-formation, heavy personnel and pro style, with a lot of boot action, level concepts, and vertical shots after establishing the run, which both utilizes the awesome running game and OL, and also limits possessions for your solid defense.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Tbh, I’d basically run Iowa’s offense. I-formation, heavy personnel and pro style, with a lot of boot action, level concepts, and vertical shots after establishing the run, which both utilizes the awesome running game and OL, and also limits possessions for your solid defense.

The problem is there are like 10 college QBs that can run that under center these days, and we can't recruit any of them.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yep. We should be relying on transfer scraps for QBs. PC won't do it because he wants to develop QBs, but we don't have a system that can do that.

It doesn’t make any sense to me. They’re all freshmen, so give me an elite talent who, btw, has likely gotten some elite position coaching, and then tailor him to the system.

Just now, MWil23 said:

It doesn’t make any sense to me. They’re all freshmen, so give me an elite talent who, btw, has likely gotten some elite position coaching, and then tailor him to the system.

We've never been able to recruit anyone with enough arm to make deep throws and athleticism to move in the pocket. Stave had the arm, but was a statue. 

Mertz was the first guy who had both, but he's not tough enough to play at this level straight up. Ideally as kids get more athletic there are more of them available, so hopefully Deacon Hill is good, but considering you need a good arm, enough athleticism, and command of a complicated offense, it's a tough skillset to recruit to compared to a a run and gun shotgun guy who can be 2/3 of those things and usually make it work.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We've never been able to recruit anyone with enough arm to make deep throws and athleticism to move in the pocket. Stave had the arm, but was a statue. 

Mertz was the first guy who had both, but he's not tough enough to play at this level straight up. Ideally as kids get more athletic there are more of them available, so hopefully Deacon Hill is good, but considering you need a good arm, enough athleticism, and command of a complicated offense, it's a tough skillset to recruit to compared to a a run and gun shotgun guy who can be 2/3 of those things and usually make it work.

It’s just funny to me (and I know we mock him regularly) that the university who had such success in the transfer portal with Russ doesn’t go all in there with other 4-5 star castoffs from elite programs. They should have kicked in Eason’s door, guys like Chad Kelly, etc. (not necessarily Kelly with the off field but still)

Just now, MWil23 said:

It’s just funny to me (and I know we mock him regularly) that the university who had such success in the transfer portal with Russ doesn’t go all in there with other 4-5 star castoffs from elite programs. They should have kicked in Eason’s door, guys like Chad Kelly, etc. (not necessarily Kelly with the off field but still)

Granted I'm a little desperate but yeah **** it lets roll with Swag.

But no it's the perfect point. And it'd work with PC's "sincere" recruiting approach too that we'd be in for a kid we wanted but missed out on after a year.

• Like 2