Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

We’ve seen quite a few rookie QBs come in and look at the least really promising in terrible situations the past decade or so...

Which of these QBs were in comparable situations to Lawrence? Maybe the worst set of receivers for half the year that we’ve seen in a decade and a bottom 4 group this year prior to the injuries. The most drops in the league per PFF. A Coaching staff that neglected the run game and put the entire offense on the QB’s shoulders, and who has failed to get receivers even capable of knowing the playbook to where at least 3 times a game a receiver is running the wrong route. An OL that’s allowed him to be hit among the most in the league despite the fact that most of the time he’s been fantastic manipulating the pocket. A defense that’s always leaving him in a hole to climb out of. And a head coach that was the worst public disaster in NFL history, who had a new scandal every week, sometimes multiple per week.

There’s nothing comparable that any of these guys have gone through. So comparing his box score to them is just a completely awful jumping off point. And yet, the box score seems to be all anyone wants to compare. So what specifically should we be concerned about with Lawrence that just doesn’t amount to “TD total” and “completion percentage”. Is his throw to throw accuracy bad? Does he make poor reads? What is it we should have concern about? Because “his stats are bad” in the middle of the worst situation that a QB has been in…maybe ever… isn’t gonna get anyone worried about him. About the team, sure. But not him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Mac Jones has done a solid job as a rookie, but let’s not put him in the category with others mentioned.

Also, no one said it’s only been Burrow and Herbert, but them doing rare things last year has further pushed immediate expectations on rookie QBs regardless of situation.

I don't think it's really about Herbert or Burrow but more because of the insane hype Lawrence has been getting for years now. That's not his fault, that's not Jacksonville's fault, but it's certainly a big factor when it comes to feelings about Lawrence. 

52 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

b) we don't see the same thread for other rookie QBs this season despite the others struggling as well

There was one for Wilson (that's why I jokingly made this one in direct response) but it hasn't been getting bumped. I can't do everything, you know. 

Who are the others we should be making threads about? Jones has been very solid. Lance hasn't started a game. Mills is supposed to be bad. Fields? Hey, good idea. Might do one about him next. Still, Trevor Lawrence is Trevor freaking Lawrence, supposed best QB prospect in a generation - who would you choose to post about if you wanted to generate discourse? 

41 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

There was one for Wilson (that's why I jokingly made this one in direct response) but it hasn't been getting bumped. I can't do everything, you know. 

Who are the others we should be making threads about? Jones has been very solid. Lance hasn't started a game. Mills is supposed to be bad. Fields? Hey, good idea. Might do one about him next. Still, Trevor Lawrence is Trevor freaking Lawrence, supposed best QB prospect in a generation - who would you choose to post about if you wanted to generate discourse? 

I wouldn't choose to post threads about any of them being bad picks at this point, let alone September. 

41 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Other than those with no reason to believe it's getting any better soon.

“The Jaguars are bad and will fail to support Trevor” is a wildly different discussion than the whole of everything being discussed here. That has been addressed as a real concern by Jags fans quite a bit. And was noted at the end of my post with the quick edit. 

Yesterday was the first full Jags game I watched in a while and Lawrence seems to be dealing with some minor issues. For one this is the first time in his life he's not on the best team, or close to it, on the field every game. His skill players aren't the best, his coaching isn't the best. It's just a lot for him because he's literally never dealt with it. He's also showing mechanical flaws that he was able to get away with because of reason number one. Jags need to invest into build a wall for him up front, I think that was the most notable thing about performance. We didn't get much pressure on him but when we did he looked pretty bad. Jags need to get either an OL that can block for 3-5 seconds(yes its a lot to ask) or emphasize the short passing game and allow his playmakers to RAC it up. 

Etienne, a quality slot receiver and dynamic tight end will be huge for him to get comfortable. A strong gun game will help any QB out as well. 

All in all Lawrence looked decent enough not to worry about anything, just looks like the adjustment for him will just take longer than expected. Urban Meyer probably set him back an additional year. They have to get the right coach in there.

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yesterday was the first full Jags game I watched in a while and Lawrence seems to be dealing with some minor issues. For one this is the first time in his life he's not on the best team, or close to it, on the field every game. His skill players aren't the best, his coaching isn't the best. It's just a lot for him because he's literally never dealt with it. He's also showing mechanical flaws that he was able to get away with because of reason number one. Jags need to invest into build a wall for him up front, I think that was the most notable thing about performance. We didn't get much pressure on him but when we did he looked pretty bad. Jags need to get either an OL that can block for 3-5 seconds(yes its a lot to ask) or emphasize the short passing game and allow his playmakers to RAC it up. 

Etienne, a quality slot receiver and dynamic tight end will be huge for him to get comfortable. A strong gun game will help any QB out as well. 

All in all Lawrence looked decent enough not to worry about anything, just looks like the adjustment for him will just take longer than expected. Urban Meyer probably set him back an additional year. They have to get the right coach in there.

Losing Chark early in the season was big. I don’t know if it was by design or what but after he went out, Trevor became a game manager.

It will be nice to get ETN back but who knows how explosive he will be after Lisfranc. No clue what the timeline will be for J-Rob for tearing his Achilles. 

After taking Hutch or Thibs at 1, everything via the Draft/FA needs to be about protecting him/getting him weapons.

Anything else and they have failed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pwny said:

“The Jaguars are bad and will fail to support Trevor” is a wildly different discussion than the whole of everything being discussed here.

Everyone here understands that Trevor Lawrence (and Zach Wilson, for that matter) was disappointing in 2021.  There is a strong consensus that the absence of talent and coaching around him, not a lack of skill on Trevor's part, is the problem.  If those conditions remain, as is likely with that front office, what does it matter?  It's not like the QB's going to get better, right?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Guy has 1 touchdown since Halloween. Don't care about the supporting cast; that is pathetic in today's NFL.

If he had 3 passing TD’s in his last 7 games with those 3 being for a total of 5 yards, would you find that pathetic? 

People so obsessed with TD’s when evaluating these rookies. 

1 minute ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

If he had 3 passing TD’s in his last 7 games with those 3 being for a total of 5 yards, would you find that pathetic? 

People so obsessed with TD’s when evaluating these rookies. 

Dude, come on lol. The guy was touted as the next Peyton Manning practically, and any way you want to slice it, has disappointed relative to expectations. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but he came in with more starting experience than any of these rookie QBs.  I mean look at some of the defenses he faced in this stretch: Jets, Houston, Titans, Atlanta. Freaking Davis Mills has performed better. 

In today's passing era of the NFL, yes, that is pathetic. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Dude, come on lol. The guy was touted as the next Peyton Manning practically, and any way you want to slice it, has disappointed relative to expectations. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but he came in with more starting experience than any of these rookie QBs.  I mean look at some of the defenses he faced in this stretch: Jets, Houston, Titans, Atlanta. Freaking Davis Mills has performed better. 

Breaking News: Rookie QB not throwing TD’s with bad supporting cast and bad coaching staff.

Time to move on from him.

7 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

It has.

And yet I think just about everyone in there right mind watching him right now would still take him every single time over all of the other rookie QBs you speak of, and is why we’ll likely have our choice of any of these HCs in a couple weeks.