Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

10 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

I believe he is a Saints fan lol.

That’s what everyone thinks, but he doesn’t like it when people assume he’s not a Patriots fan. Which is why I felt it so weird that he needed to tell me where he lived.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, pwny said:

Nobody throws the ball away on third down when down big lol. If he had thrown it away, people would be in here calling him a coward for being scared even when down by 5 scores. He’s down 31 points, the only option is to be aggressive. If you want to point to his mistakes prior to this that led to the score getting out of hand, sure go for it. But blaming a rookie QB for throwing the ball past the sticks on third down late in the game when down by a lot is just ridiculous.

It’s crazy to state facts? Coaches literally said Austin ran the wrong route and that’s what caused Mosley to be able to sit on the route that he did. Austin was supposed to cut inside around the 2 yard line in front of Mosley. If Mosley followed Austin, that play is an easy completion, if he still leaned inside, it’s a quick TD to Austin between Mosley and Williams. When he didn’t do that, the only option was to try to fit the ball in the closing window.

This is also not “largely the same team” that Minshew played with. You all need to get that nonsense out of your heads. 18 different players caught a pass for this team in 2020. Two of them played a snap yesterday. One of them was a 4th string RB earlier this year, and is now starting. And just last week alone, he caught for more yards than the entire season last year when with Minshew. The other is the 4th best active receiver on the team right now. And of the receivers and tight ends that Minshew had his rookie season, there are 2 left on the team, and after week 1, they were both on the field at the same time for exactly 2 plays. This team is significantly different.

I also don’t know why you’re telling me you live in MA, you’re a Patriots fan. 

Im going to need an explanation on how Austin cutting inside in front of Mosley...Leading Mosley to his left (the direction he was heading when he almost made the INT) would've created an easy completion? I don't think anyone would've blamed Lawrence for throwing it away instead of throwing an INT inside the 20. What ices the game more, a punt there or an INT? I know what I'd decide to do. 

I'm a Saints fan.

14 minutes ago, pwny said:

That’s what everyone thinks, but he doesn’t like it when people assume he’s not a Patriots fan. Which is why I felt it so weird that he needed to tell me where he lived.

Maybe I couldve elaborated...I live in MA, so the Patriots games are on TV, so I got to witness that entire dung show from Lawrence and the Jaguars.

26 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

What pick would have been good for the Jags this last draft? It's a football wasteland currently. I'm gonna need to Lawrence without the stink of Urban Meyer for a month before I blame anything on any of those players lol

They would've been insane to go anyone but Lawrence.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Im going to need an explanation on how Austin cutting inside in front of Mosley...Leading Mosley to his left (the direction he was heading when he almost made the INT) would've created an easy completion? I don't think anyone would've blamed Lawrence for throwing it away instead of throwing an INT inside the 20. What ices the game more, a punt there or an INT? I know what I'd decide to do. 

78n4IpG.jpg
blue is the route that he was supposed to run, red is the route he ran. It forces Mosley to make a decision left or right. If he follows Austin to Austin’s left, it opens up the route he threw to. If Mosley keeps cheating towards the other two options, Austin has free space between Mosley and Williams.

vIF3Ysc.jpg
He should have been roughly where the blue dot is when Lawrence made his decision, not where he is in the red circle. If Mosley’s hips turned out like that, it’s an easy completion to Austin if he throws it to William’s side. If he turns in to cover Austin, it’s a easy completion where Lawrence actually did go. 

Should he have maybe thrown it away there? Sure. But Austin broke the play design and he’s a rookie trying to make a play. This isn’t the type of thing that warrants any concern at all.

I’m a Saints fan.

I was just going off what you adamantly yelled at me and others for in the past. But thanks for the clarification, Harper. 👍

• Like 4

On 9/25/2021 at 1:51 PM, notthatbluestuff said:

Sorry, just adding to the general pattern emerging on the forum. 

Lawrence has never had to face adversity in his entire career, with wins handed to him week after week on an elite program. Now he's with a dumpster fire of a franchise and doesn't know what to do. What use is a guy that's used to winning when he's on a perpetually losing team? 

this has bump potential next year but so far aging well.

Maybe it's another example of being too tall. I kept this article in mind when Lawrence measured just shy of 6-6. No matter what it looks like subjectively, quarterbacks above 6-5 have a significant bust rate:

https://www.theringer.com/2020/4/20/21227568/tall-quarterback-prospect-height-success-draft-history

I thought Lawrence would be an exception. Next season will be pivotal for him. There are available excuses as a rookie but once subpar level extends over two seasons there aren't many promising examples. It becomes a case of you are what you are.

At least he put together two consecutive games above 7 YPA, after 8 straight games well below.

8 minutes ago, Apparition said:

you joke, but Wilkerson was literally elevated from the practice squad and caught 2 TD passes (and dropped a third). 

Not to take anything away from him, but it’s much easier to catch TD passes when you’re left uncovered or have a CB trailing 5 yards behind you on a crossing route in the end zone. If the guys Lawrence is throwing to could do that, he might have a few more TDs.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 7:51 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

Sorry, just adding to the general pattern emerging on the forum. 

Lawrence has never had to face adversity in his entire career, with wins handed to him week after week on an elite program. Now he's with a dumpster fire of a franchise and doesn't know what to do. What use is a guy that's used to winning when he's on a perpetually losing team? 

Well, on the flip side you can talk about a guy like Jay Cutler, who was a 4-year starter at Vandy and his teams went a combined 11-35. And then when he got to the NFL, he never figured out how to win, either. So that door swings both ways.