SNF GB @ SF

Sad People

Who wins?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Packers
    • Niners

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/27/2021 at 12:30 AM

5 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

Have you seen sometimes QBs will throw at defenders feet to avoid the grounding

Yes of course but I usually remember seeing a a WR or RB in the area and would of thought if a QB throws the ball at a defenders feet with no one around to avoid a sack that would be considered grounding 

Just now, Soggust said:

I don't think I agree with this. 

This is an example from NFL network (hopefully time stamp worked) that is clearly much more egregious contact than this play. I've never heard of contact nullifying intentional grounding, only batted balls.

I'm voting missed call. 

i would actually say that in situation he was not in the process of throwing the ball when the defender reached him. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but those two scenarios are slightly different. 

• Like 1

Just now, Soggust said:

I don't think I agree with this. 

This is an example from NFL network (hopefully time stamp worked) that is clearly much more egregious contact than this play. I've never heard of contact nullifying intentional grounding, only batted balls.

I'm voting missed call. 

No defender made contact with the ball. Refs can't make subjective calls based on "what ifs" and when a ball is tipped it changes the trajectory of the pass which leaves too much room for subjectivity. For all they know, JG was throwing a TD pass.

19 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Defensive contact with the ball while JG was already in a throwing motion made it an incomplete pass by rule. It doesn't matter what his possible intentions were.

Per the NFL rules website...

"The passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver"

So at the end of the day, do you believe that Jimmy G was "significantly affected" by the pass rush.

1 minute ago, cp0k2 said:

I don't understand the OPI rules. I saw three calls in two games called earlier that were less obvious than what Valdez Scantling did there. He didn't even try to run a route just went and blocked the defender straight away.

OPI has never been called with any sort of consistency 

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

"The passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver"

So at the end of the day, do you believe that Jimmy G was "significantly affected" by the pass rush.

I actually think @Forge is right here. It's the "initiates his passing motion" that makes the difference.

You are allowed to contact the QB, but it has to be before the QB starts his throwing motion.

edit - Upon further review I don't think he started the motion before contact, but it's a reasonable justification for the no call, I suppose.

Edited by Soggust

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Your leaving out this part.

Intentional grounding should not be called if the passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver; or the passer is out of the pocket, and his passing motion is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the ball to land short of the line of scrimmage.

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Your leaving out this part.

Intentional grounding should not be called if the passer initiates his passing motion toward an eligible receiver and then is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the pass to land in an area that is not in the direction and vicinity of an eligible receiver; or the passer is out of the pocket, and his passing motion is significantly affected by physical contact from a defensive player that causes the ball to land short of the line of scrimmage.

I was speaking specifically about whether or not the pressure, by I believe Preston Smith, directly altered Jimmy G's throw.

6 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I actually think @Forge is right here. It's the "initiates his passing motion" that makes the difference.

You are allowed to contact the QB, but it has to be before the QB starts his throwing motion.

edit - Upon further review I don't think he started the motion before contact, but it's a reasonable justification for the no call, I suppose.

I don't really have any issues with the non-call given that it was a pretty close, but when you get a couple of chances to look at it and slow it down it seems more obvious.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I don't really have any issues with the non-call given that it was a pretty close, but when you get a couple of chances to look at it and slow it down it seems more obvious.

The top down angle is largely the one I'm going on. From that angle it clearly looks like he's in the process of throwing (started his motion), then got hit. That hit then drove him back (per the normal angle). 

Just now, CWood21 said:

I was speaking specifically about whether or not the pressure, by I believe Preston Smith, directly altered Jimmy G's throw.

On the replay.....I would say JG had no real intention on completing a pass But because he and the ball was hit as he was already throwing it changed the trajectory of the pass so who knows where he was actually going with the ball.

Kind of like I explained to the other poster, the rule is put in place to avoid making subjective decisions. Otherwise, the rules and refs decisions would be far more confusing than they already are.