Underrated Music Artists/Bands

AkronsWitness

I've listened to a lot of obscure **** over the decades I've been alive so I'll get into the memory banks and list some stuff I feel is applicable to the thread. Obviously everyone has their taste and preferences in what they prefer their ears hear so I'll throw out many different genres.

Alternative/Grunge:

• Catherine
  • Fulflej
  • Fountains of Wayne

Pop Punk (I'm using this term very loosely here):

• Teen Idols
  • The Nobodys
  • The Vandals
  • The Ataris (probably the most accessible of the bunch)
  • Digger
  • Avail

Rap

• Common Market
  • Kyle Lucas
  • MC Ren (can be argued he's not underrated but I felt like no one talked about him in the 90s in the manner he deserved)
  • Brotha Lynch Hung

EZ Core:

• Belmont
  • City Lights
  • Chunk, No Captain Chunk

R&B:

• Shai
  • Immature
  • Silk

Post Hardcore (another very loosely used term here):

• A Lot Like Birds
  • Stolas
  • Eidola
  • Sink the Ship
  • Valiant Hearts (if you like this style of music, they are a must listen to IMO. Tom is the Australian Johnny Craig. "Alaska" is a good introduction)

Indie:

•  Lyida - specifically their older stuff. Their first few albums are top notch indie music. Now? Meh...

I feel this is enough for now. I need to get back to work.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 9:30 PM, Tetsujin said:

Yes. There was a sea of alt. rock groups that were having a lot of success at that time, but I don’t think the Pumpkins stood out in the music community as much as they should have.

Alice In Chains gets a ton less credit than the Pumpkins.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:31 AM, MKnight82 said:

Alice in Chains is better than both of them. 

And Mother Love Bone is the best grunge band there was. Such a shame Andrew Wood died before the boon of the genre. He was clearly the most talented singer/songwriter of the entire genre.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread so far.

I'll agree with the 2nd post that mentioned The Band. They basically invented modern day Americana/Roots rock, and they fully rejected the psychedelic wave of that era. So great that Eric Clapton wanted to quit Cream and become their rhythm guitarist...

Modern underrated artists according to me:

Jason Isbell - probably the best songwriter alive right now, and an absolute beast on the guitar. "If We Were Vampires" my be my favorite lyric.

Futurebirds - Psychedelic indie/alt-country band out of Athens, GA. The Teamwork album is great start to finish.

Highly Suspect - The first two albums were AWESOME. Hard Rock trio with incredible live shows. HOB in Chicago was one of my favorite concert experiences ever. 

Pinegrove - Really talented songwriters and indie band. It's kinda like Emo with a little twang, I guess? It sounds horrible when I write it that way, but it's not. Marigold is a great album

Durand Jones and the Indications - Best of the neo-soul revival acts right now, IMO. The progression from indie 4 track recordings on the first album, to a little more 70s production with strings on the 2nd album, and now moving into disco/funk on the third album is really fun to see. I don't think you could put them on and not end up grooving. 2 lead singers that can range from Smokey's falsetto to James Brown's growl.

There's more, but those are my most underrated artists ATM.