Breaking News!! Jaylon Smith Released

textaz03

31 minutes ago, quiller said:

This is about doing something to help the cap NEXT year and rolling the dice that Cox will develop enough to be a solid LB.

While I don't agree with every post on this the reality that MOST Cowboys fans do not face is that no matter how TERRRIBLE Jaylon has looked and horrible he has been at times LVE is still a starting LB in the NFL and could start for a number of teams right now and would still be starting for this team next week.  SO Dallas will not be as good next week as they could with the cutting of Jaylon and if Cox does not develop and Neal does not stay on the field and LVE does not "improve" his game as well we will have real issues at LB this year. This concept that OH we have Gifford is YIKES..  Gifford is way way worse then Jaylon. The fact that Jaylon was servicable this season should show that a majority of his TERRIBLE play last season was misuse.     

YES Jaylon struggled making READ reaction plays in a lot of situations.  Jaylon was NFL average in coverage down field nothing special but there are a ton of worse LB's out there covering down field then Jaylon. WAS he playing at the level he was being paid, top 20 LB in football, not even close so to save money he is gone.

This all makes sense...if Jaylon was a starter and you could ignore special teams. 

Jaylon is a backup who offers nothing on special teams. So the Gifford argument doesn't hold merit here. 

• Like 1

Well, I will say this, it appears this coaching staff has a clear vision of what players they want on this team and in spite of dominating their last 2 games and winning 3 straight, they are not satisfied with their line up.

I see this as encouraging. 

29 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

This was a stupid move if for no other reason than a morale one. It just was not necessary. Take the depth and don’t mess with the positive energy of the team. You can tell the players are bothered by this. Not the right time.

Nah dawg, we have people coming off of IR.  So, we need to open up roster spots… especially with Neal returning who plays the same position.  Front office tried to work out a deal with him, he didn’t want to deal.  Cowboys tried to trade him but there was no market for him.  So, the last resort is to cut him.  And cutting saves money on next years cap which basically accounts for Dak’s increase in pay next year.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Nah dawg, we have people coming off of IR.  So, we need to open up roster spots… especially with Neal returning who plays the same position.  Front office tried to work out a deal with him, he didn’t want to deal.  Cowboys tried to trade him but there was no market for him.  So, the last resort is to cut him.  And cutting saves money on next years cap which basically accounts for Dak’s increase in pay next year.  

I’d also add that keeping around bad players for the sake of “morale” turns you into a Wade Phillips country club.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I’d also add that keeping around bad players for the sake of “morale” turns you into a Wade Phillips country club.

I think it has been overstated how bad he was. This isn’t 2020. I don’t see anything wrong about him being in a back up role/ providing depth so long as the roster had room for that. It’d be one thing if we were in late August to early September instead of four games into the season. Team was (and is) 3-1 with a noticeably positive culture. Seeing the players noticeably upset about this move isn’t exactly a positive thing in my opinion when so much good energy was being built. I’m all for players earning their spot on the roster and yet this move was fairly surprising to me. There is more to a team than the purely business side of things. This was a blow to the team’s psyche and I’m not super exited about that just because the fan base’s whipping boy (who had previously been loved prior to one, singular bad season) was let go.

Edited by NoFlyZone

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

I suppose I understand a concern about roster spots. However, was this even a concern to start the season? Were there not other fringe players that maybe could have gone? I know there are special teams considerations, I personally just feel like Jaylon could have provided depth with Parsons (effectively) filling in on the d-line. The timing is just weird to me. If the team was concerned with the cap considerations of keeping him why is this just being done now? I just feel like it was a move that has shaken things up with the players at the wrong time. Ultimately I don’t think it’ll lead to anything really, but I still feel somewhat uneasy about it. 

15 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

I suppose I understand a concern about roster spots. However, was this even a concern to start the season? Were there not other fringe players that maybe could have gone? I know there are special teams considerations, I personally just feel like Jaylon could have provided depth with Parsons (effectively) filling in on the d-line. The timing is just weird to me. If the team was concerned with the cap considerations of keeping him why is this just being done now? I just feel like it was a move that has shaken things up with the players at the wrong time. Ultimately I don’t think it’ll lead to anything really, but I still feel somewhat uneasy about it. 

Actually, we started the season w/ a crap ton of players on IR.  Just wait, when Gallimore, Hill, Joseph, Gallup and Lawrence all return over the next few weeks there will be more cuts/moves coming.