NFL considering Expansion Team to compensate St. Louis

DigInBoys

The Rams were a distant 3rd place behind the Cards and Blues here.  St. Louis is a hardcore Baseball city.  

The NFL doesn’t need more NFL teams, but if they did, St. Louis isn’t the place for it.   OKC is the next City that needs a team.  Send the Jaguars there. 

35 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Nope? Unless you are trying to discredit an entire conversation on a technicality. If you wanna be pedantic, thats cool, just admit it. 

If an NFL franchise was forced into London it would be an epic fail

2 minutes ago, viking said:

If an NFL franchise was forced into London it would be an epic fail

Is this another "based on your feelings" response or do you happen to have some sort of evidence that the other guy didnt?

Edited by Matts4313

38 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Ah, using marketing stories as your source. I’m sure those aren’t written to create a sense of urgency among fans.

Meanwhile, several people on this thread tell you how it is in the real world.

Besides, 34k people waiting to buy isn’t really that good when you consider we’ve not had a game here in 2 years. Certainly not when you compare how quickly tickets for other sporting events sell out.

That requires context, which most Americans are utterly incapable of when dealing with anything international. They'll cite McDonald's, Nike, and WW2 like the old high school QB at the bar still crowing about the state championship he won 60 years ago and expecting to get laid for it. 

Popularity of American football is indeed growing, but raw numbers, as you said, lack all sorts of context that can't just be brushed off to the side. My Scottish friends LOVE the NFL. Ditto for my English friends. And the Germans. And so on, so forth.

But someone mentioned earlier about where a London stadium would go. My friends leave the city proper on a rare occasion. They think the idea of routinely traveling outside of town (example being AT&T Stadium being in Arlington and not Dallas proper) is odd. What are considered commutable suburbs is totally different. I lived like 10-15 miles outside of town my first year, thinking "Oh it's RIGHT there". People thought I was nuts for being willing to make that commute on a daily basis. It's not unheard of, but hardly the rule and nowhere near as common in the US. And it doesn't take rocket science to comprehend the difference between a novelty exhibition game and a full blown season. 

Not to mention, polls are a joke. Every Brit I've ever met would gladly answer a poll simply by being asked, whether they actually gave a s#it or not. Meanwhile, Americans rarely answer them, usually don't understand them, and proceed to call them lies and falsehoods if they show anything other than the desired effect. 

He wants his "proof" to be correct because he wants to be correct. Anything that disagrees with it can go straight to the trash heap. Context doesn't matter. He's happier constructing his own version of "reality". 

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Is this another "based on your feelings" response or do you happen to have some sort of evidence that the other guy didnt?

• No fans (I can't stress enough how 99.9% of the population don't give a crap about American Football)
  • No players would want to play 2000 miles away from their families
  • Not viable due to the travel times and jet lag the players would face

3 minutes ago, viking said:
  • No fans (I can't stress enough how 99.9% of the population don't give a crap about American Football)

Proven wrong multiple times

"Want" only affects FA signings. Everyone else has to deal with it. If they want to earn millions of dollars, they will show up for work. 

14 years of evidence says it can be worked out

Edited by Matts4313

1 minute ago, viking said:

Not to mention the visa headaches, tax headaches, HRM Customs issues, NHS issues. The list could go on for days.

Are they workable issues? Yes. 

Are they worth the hassle it would require for a permanent team? Almost assuredly not.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Proven wrong multiple times

"Want" only affects FA signings. Everyone else has to deal with it. If they want to earn millions of dollars, they will show up for work. 

14 years of evidence says it can be worked out

👍

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That requires context, which most Americans are utterly incapable of when dealing with anything international.

Its irrelevant. 

Why can you not understand that its simple math? It doent matter if a soccer game sells out in 15 seconds and it takes an NFL game 15 days. The bottom line is, when the games are played, people will be in seats. 

You keep trying to compare it to other very highly popular sports. *IT DOESNT NEED TO*. It just needs to find 60k people 8x's a year that will fill the stadium. The rest of the logistics will work itself out and the revenue will be there simply due to broadcasting.  

------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing you guys are missing - because you keep looking at it as a sport and not a product from a business - is scalability. The more the NFL is in Europe, the cheaper it becomes on a per game basis. 

Edited by Matts4313

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Its irrelevant. 

Why can you not understand it? Id doent matter if a soccer game sells out in 15 seconds and it takes an NFL game 15 days. The bottom line is, when the games are played, people will be in seats. 

You keep trying to compare it to other very highly popular sports. *IT DOESNT NEED TO*. It just needs to find 60k people 8x's a year that will fill the stadium. The rest of it (broadcasting revenue) will work itself out. 

I'm sorry you're also incapable of realizing I've not cited a single other sport. 

I forgot how bad the education system was. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:
1 hour ago, Buc Ball said:

Certainly not when you compare how quickly tickets for other sporting events sell out.

That requires context, which most Americans are utterly incapable of when dealing with anything international.

You bolded this smart guy..

The irony of you calling me out for education. 

^^^ in reference to

"I'm sorry you're also incapable of realizing I've not cited a single other sport. 

I forgot how bad the education system was. "

Edited by Matts4313

FTR - not that it should matter - I manage about $3m of assets located in England spread amongst a few families (some born British, some Indian who have transplanted). So I speak with people from London all the damn time. 

You know why I havent brought that up until now? Because my anectdotal evidence that British people enjoy football is exactly as useless as you saying you know people who dont care about the NFL. 

None of that ish matters. What matters is that people *do* show up and buy tickets. Thats real. Your feelings have no sway on reality. Neither do mine. 

Edited by Matts4313

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You bolded this smart guy..

The irony of you calling me out for education. 

^^^ in reference to

"I'm sorry you're also incapable of realizing I've not cited a single other sport. 

I forgot how bad the education system was. "

Wow, context really does elude you 🤦🏼‍♂️

Just now, Matts4313 said:

FTR - not that it should matter - I manage about $3m of assets located in England spread amongst a few families (some naturalized British, some Indian). So I speak with people from London all the damn time. 

You know why I havent brought that up until now? Because my anectdotal evidence that British people enjoy football is exactly as useless as you saying you know people who dont care about the NFL. 

None of that ish matters. What matters is that people *do* show up and buy tickets. Thats real. Your feelings have no sway on reality. Neither do mine. 

Make sure you lube up if you're gonna stroke that hard. Wouldn't want to chafe.