NFL considering Expansion Team to compensate St. Louis

DigInBoys

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

So you mean that American products with a little fine tuning for market have historically had zero issue becoming huge profit centers in Europe.

My o my, how did I ever think the NFL would be able to repeat what *every other big American company has done*.

Mmk boss. Ride that eagle and wave that flag. 

The rest of us will stick to reality. 

15 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Going to the movies is not the same as giving up a weekend to travel hundreds of miles to an NFL game, paying £100+ travel and £80+ for a ticket (before you even need to book a hotel in one of the most expensive cities in the world).

You need to be a “real fan” to be prepared to stump up that cash 8 times a season. 

The greater London area has almost 9 million people. Tottenham holds 60k. The NFL would need less the .01% of the local population alone, not including those traveling. 

On top of that, it has ~30m vistors a year without the NFL. Thats 82k people every single day that could pick up a ticket to the game. 

Edited by Matts4313

41 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

To me, and I could be completely wrong, this perspective lacks any foresight. London doesnt have fans 'right now'. Give it 20 years of having a team down the street in one of the most viewed sports globally and see what happens. 

There is nothing fundamentally about football that prevents it from being adopted in the UK outside of geography (IE - time zones, in person viewing). Having a dedicated team changes that.

On top of all that - gotta remember there are a lot of Americans in Europe. America is an incredible influence on Europe. Sure they call us fat, dumb gun owners... but then they slip on Nikes, pick up their iPhone go to McDonalds and browse ESPN. 

I agree with this

And honestly, even if they get a TINY pull through rate of their population becoming fans, the market they draw on (not only London but surrounding UK) is large enough that it would be a legitimate fan base

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mmk boss. Ride that eagle and wave that flag. 

The rest of us will stick to reality. 

It doesnt sound like you are.

Me: Polls showing Jags growth, history of American prodcuts doing well, a decade of sold out NFL games in London.

You: Your feelings and Anti American bias. 

FTR - I am not flag waving. I am simply stating a truth. Whether you like it or not, it is the reality that we live in. Give it 50 years and China will be the trendsetters that the world follows. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

It doesnt sound like you are.

Me: Polls showing Jags growth, history of American prodcuts doing well, a decade of sold out NFL games in London.

You: Your feelings and Anti American bias. 

FTR - I am not flag waving. I am simply stating a truth. Whether you like it or not, it is the reality that we live in. Give it 50 years and China will be the trendsetters that the world follows. 

Me: Lives in UK, is an American, is an NFL fan, understands the stark difference between US and UK "fandom". 

You: Look at a poll! The polls! Dumbing down the notion of "American companies" without any sense of context to the stark differences between a company operating in the US and UK, and bluntly refusing to consider cultural differences that would absolutely impact the viability of a full time UK based team in favor of a "build and they will come" mantra that simply doesn't apply nearly as much outside of the US. 

Try again. 

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:
1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

They could put them in a division against the Patriots and become natural Rivals. The New England Patriots vs. the Old England Tea Taxers or whatever else England may be known for.

Giving you your language...?

Kind of makes sense, New England is the closest current NFL team to England geographically, probably the most similar genetically/ancestrally, sort of similar weather. I would think most people caught up in the Boston massacre were just Brits a generation or two earlier anyway. 

But yeah, good idea! 

I'm completely against the NFL moving abroad. Why does it need to?! 

My guess if they do add a London team, and it’s a situation where there are more than 4 teams per division, they’ll be put in the NFC East.

Money wise it’s the richest division in value, so those owners would have less of a problem offset those yearly costs. All 4 cities have bigger airports and all but Dallas are in the Northeast. 

All 4 have easy, albeit a bit too obvious, narratives vs London.
UK’s team vs America’s Team, Declaration of Independence stuff with Philadelphia vs England,  two of the world’s biggest cities in London vs New York and then Capital vs Capital with Washington 

But the AFC East would work fine too, a lot of similar narratives for New England and the Jets. Buffalo doesn’t fit as well, but who know the Pegula’s could steal them away to Toronto by then (I sure as hell hope not)

I think the London team will probably have a practice facility over here somewhere on the east coast to use as a base of operations for stateside trips. If it were the NFC East there are some spots they could put that that they could bus or train to a lot teams every year.

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Me: Lives in UK, is an American, is an NFL fan, understands the stark difference between US and UK "fandom". 

You: Look at a poll! The polls! Dumbing down the notion of "American companies" without any sense of context to the stark differences between a company operating in the US and UK, and bluntly refusing to consider cultural differences that would absolutely impact the viability of a full time UK based team in favor of a "build and they will come" mantra that simply doesn't apply nearly as much outside of the US. 

Try again. 

You are a single dude with an opinion. You dont matter compared to a poll of thousands. Just like my opinion doesnt matter. What matters is proof - and the proof shows that you are wrong and the NFL is right.

You say things like "build it and they will come" doesnt apply - while I guarantee that most every single aspect of your life is impacted by an American company that "built it and they came" in Europe. 

Edited by Matts4313

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

The greater London area has almost 9 million people. Tottenham holds 60k. The NFL would need less the .01% of the local population alone, not including those traveling. 

A textbook example of why numbers with no context are useless.

After 14 years, the NFL isn’t attracting “less than 0.01%” of the Greater London area’s population, so what steps would you take to attract more “locals”?

How would you make going to an NFL game for a team you don’t care about more attractive than going to watch the soccer team you support (many of which will play some of their home games on a Sunday), or any of the hundreds of other things there are to do in London?

You and your calculator don’t understand the cultural differences at play here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You are a single dude with an opinion. You dont matter compared to a poll of thousands. Just like my opinion doesnt matter. What matters is proof - and the proof shows that you are wrong and the NFL is right.

You say things like "build it and they will come" doesnt apply - while I guarantee that most every single aspect of your life is impacted by an American company that "built it and they came" in Europe. 

😂 Ok. 

1 minute ago, Buc Ball said:

After 14 years, the NFL isn’t attracting “less than 0.01%” of the Greater London area’s population,

What the heck are you talking about? Europeans complain that there isnt enough ticket availability. The issue isnt selling out games, the issue is there are not enough games to meet London demand!

The good news for the NFL is that its London fan base is big enough that games at Wembley Stadium sell out quickly. The bad news is there’s a growing perception among the UK fan base that the NFL is a greedy interloper fixated on maximizing profits while pricing out average fans.

In the 10 years the National Football League has played in London, tickets for all but one of the 14 games have sold out, in

The NFL is returning to London with two games at the Tottenham Hotspur stadium.

New York Jets will take on Atlanta Falcons on 10 October and Miami Dolphins will play Jacksonville Jaguars on 17 October in London and tickets for both games are on sale today at 10am.

There will be a queuing system in place for fans who want to get their hands on tickets and that will go live at 9.30am here.

Premium seats are on sale now and the games are expected to sell out quickly.

^^^THERE WERE LITERALLY 34K PEOPLE WAITING TO BUY TICKETS BEFORE THEY EVEN WENT ON SELL!

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

What the heck are you talking about? Europeans complain that there isnt enough ticket availability. The issue isnt selling out games, the issue is there are not enough games to meet London demand!

^^^THERE WERE LITERALLY 34K PEOPLE WAITING TO BUY TICKETS BEFORE THEY EVEN WENT ON SELL!

Ah, using marketing stories as your source. I’m sure those aren’t written to create a sense of urgency among fans.

Meanwhile, several people on this thread tell you how it is in the real world.

Besides, 34k people waiting to buy isn’t really that good when you consider we’ve not had a game here in 2 years. Certainly not when you compare how quickly tickets for other sporting events sell out.

13 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Ah, using marketing stories as your source. I’m sure those aren’t written to create a sense of urgency among fans.

Meanwhile, several people on this thread tell you how it is in the real world.

Besides, 34k people waiting to buy isn’t really that good when you consider we’ve not had a game here in 2 years. Certainly not when you compare how quickly tickets for other sporting events sell out.

"several" being the two of you? 

And I guess 14 years of sold out games is less than proof than your anecdotal feelings?

Do you have literally any proof whatsoever to validate your opinion? Like, any thing that its factual and not just "my buddy said he wont root for the Jags, so that means all 9 million residents and 30 million visitors wont buy tickets". 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

"several" being the two of you? 

And I guess 14 years of sold out games is less than proof than your anecdotal feelings?

Do you have literally any proof whatsoever to validate your opinion? Like, any thing that its factual and not just "my buddy said he wont root for the Jags, so that means all 9 million residents and 30 million visitors wont buy tickets". 

You’ve just contradicted your own sources. Try harder 🙂