NFL considering Expansion Team to compensate St. Louis

DigInBoys

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

NFL Europe-type programs dont work because they are halfarsed and a slap in the face to real fans. If you want NFL fans in Europe, put teams and billions of dollars into it. Make the game day experience amazing. People attend, invest emotionally and financially and market (wear apparel) for things that are fun and create enjoyment. 

Why would “real fans” invest emotionally in a team that’s not theirs? 

More European kids in the NFL = more interest and coverage = more people interested in playing the sport at a young age = a bigger following.

Throw billions at a saturated market if you want, but you won’t sell out a stadium for 8 games.

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

And how many of those new fans merely selected the Jaguars based on familiarity instead of a truly vested fandom? 

I still dont understand why you are harping on this. Its almost completely irrelevant to the idea of if the NFL can turn Europe into a profit center.

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean they'd have to build a dedicated NFL stadium, they can't just play all the home games at Wembley. Where would they even put it? 

I think they are already retrofitting a stadium in Europe for an NFL team.  One of the old soccer ones in London. 

Edited by Matts4313

4 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean they'd have to build a dedicated NFL stadium, they can't just play all the home games at Wembley. Where would they even put it? 

They’d just use Spurs’ stadium. They’ve got the NFL field under the soccer field anyway.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

Talent pool starts to become an issue with adding enough expansion teams to make alignment and playoff brackets look not funky.

I think adding 2 is feasible with some realignment of divisions with the 7th playoff spot and added game. 

Going much further than that though and the talent pool really really gets shallow.

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Talent pool starts to become an issue with adding enough expansion teams to make alignment and playoff brackets look not funky.

This argument gets made every expansion and in the last 100 years, its never been accurate for the NFL (or most any sport).

Because it's not? 

But, hey, McDonalds and Nike, right? 🙄🦅🇺🇲

How do you figure? 

Michael Bay movies are terrible. I bet Transformers shattered box office records in Europe. 

You dont have to be a "real fan" to consume an entertainment product. 

20 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

https://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/6161/jags-popularity-surges-in-uk-london-beneficial

You guys seems to contradict the polls

nfl_g_jagsfans_576x324.jpg&w=570&format=

The Jaguars also have enjoyed a significant surge in international recognition. According to an NFL survey, the Jaguars rank ninth among NFL teams in popularity outside the United States. That's a huge jump from the previous year, when they ranked 31st.

"In a little over a year we've had that much visibility and improvement and I think it's very, very important for the Jaguars," owner Shad Khan said.

The NFL compiled the results by culling a database of several hundred thousand fans. Each fan that registers selects his or her favorite NFL team and the Jaguars were the team that gained more fans last year than any other in the United Kingdom.

That picture makes it look like the people love the Jags, In reality they just hand the flags out at the game and have the announcer shout "wave your flags!!!" every third down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This argument gets made every expansion and in the last 100 years, its never been accurate for the NFL (or most any sport).

How do you figure? 

Michael Bay movies are terrible. I bet Transformers shattered box office records in Europe. 

Going to the movies is not the same as giving up a weekend to travel hundreds of miles to an NFL game, paying £100+ travel and £80+ for a ticket (before you even need to book a hotel in one of the most expensive cities in the world).

You need to be a “real fan” to be prepared to stump up that cash 8 times a season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

How do you figure? 

Naw man, McDonald's and Nike. American culture reigns absolutely supreme and everyone will just follow suit. Forget the stark difference in the crap sandwich American McDonald's gives you in comparison to what you'll get overseas made by folks not worked to the bone for piss poor pay, it's McDonald's and thus 'murica. 

Not accounting for cultural differences is why the NFL hasn't gotten it right yet, and you're sitting here bantering about a lack of foresight? Lol

1 minute ago, viking said:

That picture makes it look like the people love the Jags, In reality they just hand the flags out at the game and have the announcer shout "wave your flags!!!" every third down.

So you are telling me that the NFL can come in, offer a mild promotion (give out a cheapo flag), and just simple tell Europeans how to root? 

This will be the most easy European take over in the past 50 years 😈

• Like 1

Naw man, McDonald's and Nike. American culture reigns absolutely supreme and everyone will just follow suit. Forget the stark difference in the crap sandwich American McDonald's gives you in comparison to what you'll get overseas made by folks not worked to the bone for piss poor pay, it's McDonald's and thus 'murica. 

Not accounting for cultural differences is why the NFL hasn't gotten it right yet, and you're sitting here bantering about a lack of foresight? Lol

So you mean that American products with a little fine tuning for market have historically had zero issue becoming huge profit centers in Europe.

My o my, how did I ever think the NFL would be able to repeat what *every other big American company has done*.