College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

1 minute ago, TitanLegend said:

"Stabbed Johnny Majors in the back" is probably the most boring, overused story line ever. Fulmer took over for Majors, performed better than Majors, and said he was going to go be a head coach else where(because he could have gotten damn near any job he wanted to) if UT didn't keep him. So UT decided to go with Fulmer, and they made the right decision. Majors was a good coach, Fulmer was a great one. UT could have decided to keep Majors if they wanted to. Fulmer had every right in the world to do what he did.

I don't care what Travis wrote. Fact of the matter is he's ahead of any other media/reporting source on practically every major UT story there is. The guy has contacts and knows what he's talking about, he's proven it 1,000x over.

Nobody is buying what you're selling. And if ole Clay does have contacts, that only gives him more motivation to toe the Tennessee party line.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Nobody is buying what you're selling. And if ole Clay does have contacts, that only gives him more motivation to toe the Tennessee party line.

Yes, because Clay really toed that Tennessee line when he was one of the lead guys behind protesting the Schiano hire. Or when he bashed Butch Jones at every turn the last year/year and a half. Give me a break. Clay can be a bit of a tool given his ego but the guy knows his **** regarding UT.

It's not a good look when you try and talk about something you've clearly done no research on. I've laid out for you in posts previous on this thread how ****ty the UT athletics department has been for about 15 years. I've told you why that is, and what needs to be done to change it.

What I said needs to be done is being done and I couldn't be any happier.

Just now, Supersuavesky said:

Tennessee fans will legit not listen. They don't even want to begin to see things the way the rest do.

lmao I literally have 5 pages worth of posts laying out how awful our athletic department is and why(and this well before any idea of Fulmer actually taking over occurred). Haslam has run this athletic department in to the ground the past 15+ years and now that we finally got rid of his line of puppets at athletic director it's a bad thing?

That's funny. Haslam can now stay focused on keeping the Browns at 1 win every 3 seasons.

7 minutes ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Reading this thread has felt liking reading the script for a TV show.  Fantastic.

Bull. This situation is far too unrealistic and melodramay for TV. Even Lifetime is like "child please"

15 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

"Stabbed Johnny Majors in the back" is probably the most boring, overused story line ever. Fulmer took over for Majors, performed better than Majors, and said he was going to go be a head coach else where(because he could have gotten damn near any job he wanted to) if UT didn't keep him. So UT decided to go with Fulmer, and they made the right decision. Majors was a good coach, Fulmer was a great one. UT could have decided to keep Majors if they wanted to. Fulmer had every right in the world to do what he did.

I don't care what Travis wrote. Fact of the matter is he's ahead of any other media/reporting source on practically every major UT story there is. The guy has contacts and knows what he's talking about, he's proven it 1,000x over.

The ensuing fan outrage over Schiano blew up the hire. Furious with their choice being shot down, John Currie and the Haslams begin leaking information to the national media blaming the fan base for being a bunch of ignorant rednecks who don’t know any better.

Unless they're the ones painting the rock, throwing tantrums left and right, and pining for Lane Kiffin (the guy Currie helped hire and the same guy who left Tennessee high and dry), then Currie and the Haslams didn't have to work very hard at proving these facts to a national audience. Very biased thing for Travis to say.

Not content with that story being spread, Jimmy Haslam even begins calling Tennessee legislators who had Tweeted their disapproval of the hire with this message, “You don’t make the Tennessee hire, we do.”

Proof? Because the rest of the read sounds much the same- like a dude who wants to write a political docudrama thriller about sports. The whole article reeks of conspiracy theory. 

...who are now being deluged with angry booster and politician inquiries about the hire, Currie is told he has to rescind the offer to Schiano. Currie, humiliated by the public rejection of his decision making, isn’t even willing to make the call himself to tell Schiano the deal is off.

1. Sounds a lot like a bunch of ignorant rednecks who don't know any better. Especially when coupled with the rest of the fans.

2. Travis sure does seem to know a lot about John Currie's innermost thoughts.

Currie leaves the meeting and immediately begins calling his friends in the media to put out the story that Fulmer and other athletic department employees undermined him.

Like this... and keep this in mind for point 4 below......

But the simple truth of the matter is this — Currie undermined himself with the Greg Schiano debacle.

No one had to undermine John Currie to get him fired, they just had to let him hang himself.

Phil Fulmer will be announced as the new athletic director at Tennessee within the next few hours returning to a position of athletic prominence nine years after he was fired as head coach.

1. So he undermined himself by picking what would have been a solid hire? So he messed up with the way he handled it. He isn't the first AD to do so.

2. Except that the school followed Schiano up by making multiple missteps and fans/boosters went full rage mode. Nobody would have been good enough. And other coaches saw this- Cutcliffe, Doeren, Gundy.... they aren't stupid. They can see a toxic environment. They weren't going to come to Tennessee then, they won't now. They made their lack of interest in the position public because they have no intention of going there. That is a mess that UT created itself. 

3. So, hanging himself was going out to LA and coming back with a tentative acceptance from Mike Leach? Again, WHAT THE HECK DOES TENNESSEE WANT?

4. How convenient.... Fulmer, who Travis basically creams himself over and speaks of like some kind of savior "just waiting in the wings", gets named AD. And yet this guy still has a straight face when he basically insinuates Currie went behind the university's back and was spreading rumors about Fulmer. COME ON MAN!

11 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the same people praising Greg Schiano think it's a bad thing that Jimmy Haslam is no longer in control of UT Sports. Kinda goes hand in hand when you think about it.

We know Haslam is crap. That doesn't excuse what Fullmer and the rest of the administration has done.

Just now, Supersuavesky said:

We know Haslam is crap. That doesn't excuse what Fullmer and the rest of the administration has done.

It's not really important to me what Fulmer has or hasn't done. All that matters is Haslam is done. Maybe Fulmer sucks as AD, and that's entirely fine. Our football program is more than likely screwed for the immediate future regardless. However Tennessee at least actually has a future with Haslam being gone.

1 minute ago, Supersuavesky said:

I love the idea that somehow getting rid of Haslam is going to undo 17 years of suck. How many Now That's What I Call Music's has Tennessee been dog**** for now? 

It's gonna be a long, long process to even be consistently mediocre.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

It's not really important to me what Fulmer has or hasn't done. All that matters is Haslam is done. Maybe Fulmer sucks as AD, and that's entirely fine. Our football program is more than likely screwed for the immediate future regardless. However Tennessee at least actually has a future with Haslam being gone.

If that's your thought process you shouldn't be upset with any hire then. If you think Tennessee is screwed regardless there wouldn't be as much outrage over the idea of Schaino as head coach. 

Archived