The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was the assistant head coach in Dallas for years when they were actually good.

Mayock call him the greatest leader of men that he's ever been around 

I think that's very key but I want to see what happens on Sunday

Edited by Jeremy408

56 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I like Kellen Moore but I don't think he's the right guy for the job. The team needs someone that can come in and be a leader after this huge mess Gruden left. Moore's like 34 and has never been a head coach at any level. Daboll, Shaw, get someone with more experience in winning organizations.

Neither was Sean McVay.

Coaches who've won a Super Bowl and then gone on to another team later on, are 0/15 in winning a championship with their 2nd/3rd team. Pederson would fall under that category.

I personally don't like the hiring of big time college coaches, they rarely work out.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 11:13 PM, RaidersAreOne said:

cough Jerruh cough)

Talk about 25 year old stereotypes. Jerry loosened his grips on the Cowboys when we hired Parcells. I would think the Raiders of all teams would be sensitive to untrue comments about the owner.

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

The NFCE was horrendous bro. Those 9-7 Eagles teams are 6-10 teams in most divisions.

The East was tough as nails 2016, 17, 18ish. It didnt got to crap until 2019ish. Doug was fired in 2020. 

17 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

So nothing he did was legit? You cant credit him for any of turning the Eagles around from drafting number two overall to winning a SB in 2 years? That was all the OC?

Pederson is pretty much hated beyond recognition by Eagles fans less than 5 years after winning a superbowl. Should tell you everything you need to know about him. 

Edited by Matts4313

45 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Mayock is really gassing up this special teams coach in this presser

44 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He was the assistant head coach in Dallas for years when they were actually good.

39 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Mayock call him the greatest leader of men that he's ever been around 

I think that's very key but I want to see what happens on Sunday

Rich was crazy high energy here and should have the personality to be an interim HC. He has been interviewed for actual HC positions in the past. I think he will be fine for the rest of the season. And with the sudden change in MO - I could easily see him leading you to the Playoffs. 

You might have lucked into your own Harbaugh.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Danger said:

Neither was Sean McVay.

Coaches who've won a Super Bowl and then gone on to another team later on, are 0/15 in winning a championship with their 2nd/3rd team. Pederson would fall under that category.

I personally don't like the hiring of big time college coaches, they rarely work out.

McVay also didn't come into a dumpster fire organization surrounded by controversy either. He was hired by a team that had the recent #1 overall pick QB, Todd Gurley, and Aaron Donald with a super savvy front office building a great roster.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Danger said:

Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, and Jimmy Johnson all worked out. Everything has to be accessed on a case by case basis. Like I personally wouldn't hire Ryan Day or Lincoln Riley because they both inherited super talented teams at great programs with winning traditions. 

Two college coaches that I'd consider are James Franklin and David Shaw.

Franklin took over a Vanderbilt program that was notorious for losing and they were a ranked team in year 2/3. Then he took over at Penn State, a program that was surrounded by a huge scandal, and brought the program back to national relevance. 

Shaw was the OC at Stanford with Harbaugh when he took over and the program was also notorious for losing. The program only has 9 10+ win seasons dating back to 1920, 5 of them have been under Shaw, and 2 of them were in years 5/6 when none of Harbaugh's players were on the roster anymore. He played a key role in developing guys like Andrew Luck, Christian McCaffery, and Zach Ertz who all came into the program as 4* recruits and then went on to be some of the best players in the league at their peaks. 

19 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Pete Carroll is an NFL coach who won in college, not the other way around. 

Carroll was 33-31 in 4 years as an NFL head coach, took USC from mediocre back to a national power house, then went back to the NFL and has had a ton of success. 

Regardless though my point remains the same. If we're going to hire a college coach I want someone that has built a program and made them a winner. Not a coach who took over at a school that was already extremely successful before they got there who's piggy backing off of the previous coach like Day/Riley. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carroll was 33-31 in 4 years as an NFL head coach, took USC from mediocre back to a national power house, then went back to the NFL and has had a ton of success. 

Regardless though my point remains the same. If we're going to hire a college coach I want someone that has built a program and made them a winner. Not a coach who took over at a school that was already extremely successful before they got there who's piggy backing off of the previous coach like Day/Riley. 

I guess my point was the Carrol comes from the Parcells tree, like Belichick, which means he should be considered an NFL guy first and foremost. Though I get your point and I was a bit off topic with my interjection. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

McVay also didn't come into a dumpster fire organization surrounded by controversy either. He was hired by a team that had the recent #1 overall pick QB, Todd Gurley, and Aaron Donald with a super savvy front office building a great roster.

McVay took over the defense was built up by Jeff Fisher who just couldn't figure out the offensive side of the ball. Sean McVay has never had a bad defense since he's been a head coach.

That matters

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Rich was crazy high energy here and should have the personality to be an interim HC. He has been interviewed for actual HC positions in the past. I think he will be fine for the rest of the season. And with the sudden change in MO - I could easily see him leading you to the Playoffs. 

You might have lucked into your own Harbaugh.  

My question is why did Jerry Jones never look at him for the HC position? What are your thoughts on that?

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

I guess my point was the Carrol comes from the Parcells tree, like Belichick, which means he should be considered an NFL guy first and foremost. Though I get your point and I was a bit off topic with my interjection. 

Pete was the man at USC but the biggest gripe against him was that he couldn't win as an NFL head coach. Supporting USC football at the time that was something that was frequently mentioned about him. But either way USC was mediocre when Pete took over the program and he completely changed the culture, they became winners. 

That's why I'd personally prefer David Shaw as the next head coach, although it's unlikely because he makes too much at Stanford. He was an assistant coach in the NFL for 9 years with the Raiders when we were good and the Ravens when they were good. He helped Harbaugh take Stanford from a 1-11 team the year before they got there to a national contender in year 4+ beyond.