The search for a new Head Coach

RaidersAreOne

I would like to grab an offensive guy, who is working under defensive HC right now.

I don't want to find out the hard way that a guy like Bienamy or Leftwich only looks good now because of their HC and superstar QB.

Guys like Daboll, Brady or Lombardi are running their own offense and because of this I would feel good about them implementing a quality O system with us.

Daboll runs his scheme, calls one of the best O in the league and developed Josh Allen into a star. He served under a few HCs, learned from Bellichek and Saban too. He would arrive from a well run organization and would definitely would be one of my top guys to interview and to do a background check on.

Lombardi is interesting, because I had pretty low opinion about him prior to this season, but now he seems to be doing a really good job on his own, under a defensive HC. Herbert of course help a lot and that Chargers roster is pretty good too. Sean Payton is obviously a great mentor to have.

Obviously Brady is super young and only has short NFL experience, short exp overall, so I would be a bit sceptical about his staff. Because of his age and lack of experience leadership and his ability to build up a strong team culture could also be questionable IMO.

It will be interesting whether a guy like Kyle Shanahan becomes available or not. He would be a guy I would be really high even with the Mike-Al history.

Obviously the first thing will be Mayock's fate. It will be important for the HC search who the GM is. I'm not sure Mayock is a guy, who can attract the best coaches...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rolni said:

I would like to grab an offensive guy, who is working under defensive HC right now.

I don't want to find out the hard way that a guy like Bienamy or Leftwich only looks good now because of their HC and superstar QB.

Guys like Daboll, Brady or Lombardi are running their own offense and because of this I would feel good about them implementing a quality O system with us.

Basically my mindset as well. 

The young offensive genius has to be the biggest coaching cliché going right now. 

McVey was a massive hit. I don't buy many of these other guys personally. 

Find me a guy who is a humble leader, teachable and has a winning mindset. The rest of the staff will fall into place.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The young offensive genius has to be the biggest coaching cliché going right now. 

Find me a guy who is a humble leader, teachable and has a winning mindset. The rest of the staff will fall into place.

Replacing OC’s on the regular I feel destroys QB’s and offenses. And let’s face it, if you have a good OC, he’s gonna leave your team for a HC job. 

10 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Replacing OC’s on the regular I feel destroys QB’s and offenses. And let’s face it, if you have a good OC, he’s gonna leave your team for a HC job. 

Do you think Greg Olson can be that good OC now that he's out from under Gruden calling the plays? 

Just now, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Do you think Greg Olson can be that good OC now that he's out from under Gruden calling the plays? 

No. Greg Olson has never been a good play caller. He’s just a yes man for offensive minded HC’s like Gruden and McVay. 

I’m sure Olson will have his moments this year, but he won’t be here next year.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

No. Greg Olson has never been a good play caller. He’s just a yes man for offensive minded HC’s like Gruden and McVay. 

I’m sure Olson will have his moments this year, but he won’t be here next year.

Yeah, I don't dislike Olson, but he's more of a mentor type coach than a play caller. Nothing against him, I just happen to feel similarly about him and guys like Bienemy. 

So here's a question for you guys:

For HC do we want a more offensively or defensively minded guy? 

Part of me wants an offensive mind and to leave the D to Gus (assuming he's retained, that is).

On the flip side, part of me wants a D minded guy who has no problem delegating the O to his OC as their sole responsibility. 

6 hours ago, Rolni said:

Daboll runs his scheme, calls one of the best O in the league and developed Josh Allen into a star. He served under a few HCs, learned from Bellichek and Saban too. He would arrive from a well run organization and would definitely would be one of my top guys to interview and to do a background check on.

Lombardi is interesting, because I had pretty low opinion about him prior to this season, but now he seems to be doing a really good job on his own, under a defensive HC. Herbert of course help a lot and that Chargers roster is pretty good too. Sean Payton is obviously a great mentor to have.

Obviously Brady is super young and only has short NFL experience, short exp overall, so I would be a bit sceptical about his staff. Because of his age and lack of experience leadership and his ability to build up a strong team culture could also be questionable IMO.

It will be interesting whether a guy like Kyle Shanahan becomes available or not. He would be a guy I would be really high even with the Mike-Al history.

Obviously the first thing will be Mayock's fate. It will be important for the HC search who the GM is. I'm not sure Mayock is a guy, who can attract the best coaches...

Lombardi and Daboll have the best shot they still scare me

33 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Part of me wants an offensive mind and to leave the D to Gus (assuming he's retained, that is).

On the flip side, part of me wants a D minded guy who has no problem delegating the O to his OC as their sole responsibility. 

Defensive. Offense is decent except for the OL.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Something to think about though is that if you get a defensive minded guy and he has an OC who does really well the OC usually gets looked at for an HC position which leads to a revolving door at OC

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It’s always been that way, teams looking for young OCs to match with their QBs. I’d love a guy like the one you described but they don’t grow on trees.