Ragnow to have toe surgery, will miss rest of season

Nnivolcm

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

What do you think of Derek Carr as a potential Goff replacement? The Raiders are a bit of a mess right now and the Lions are treading in a positive direction (it's still a LONG way to go, but I do feel they're moving forward in a positive way) that could be enticing to a FA. 

I agree with what @diehardlionfanand @Sllim Pickenssaid. We've seen recent and consistent examples of teams building a stacked roster and making Superbowl runs with a QB on the rookie wage. I think that's a very reasonable way to build a roster. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I agree with what @diehardlionfanand @Sllim Pickenssaid. We've seen recent and consistent examples of teams building a stacked roster and making Superbowl runs with a QB on the rookie wage. I think that's a very reasonable way to build a roster. 

It will be interesting to see how some of these teams adapt over the next couple of years.  KC looked to have a dynasty but they already are showing signs of lack of depth due to large contracts and before long, Kelce and Hill will be considered old for NFL standards.  The Bills paid Allen early but his big cap hits aren't until 2023 so their best window is the next two years.  

Seeing teams like Seattle fall down the chain once Wilson got paid and teams like GB never able to get over the hump after paying Rodgers bigger money just shows how hard it is to sustain once you pay the QB.  Tom Brady consistently took pay cuts and was a mid tier paid QB most of his career and I think that was the biggest reason for his sustained success.  Through 2007 he was never higher than 10th on QB pay.  He jumped to 2nd in 2008 (4M behind Manning), than was 4th a couple of years and back to 10/11.  Manning was #1 for like 6 years and wondered why he struggled to get that second championship.  Rodgers wasn't as high as I expected which makes sense on why they are constantly in the NFC championship game. But teams with great QBs don't win multiple championships unless their QBs are not eating up so much of the cap space.  TBH, it probably makes sense to let a QB play out their rookie deal and then trade them for a bunch of picks instead of paying them.  Maybe the QB market will come back down to normal at some point when teams realize this.  This article is old but it helps prove that point.  Steve Young in 1994 was the Super Bowl winning QB taking up the most cap at 13.4% as of 2015 and that hasn't changed since then.  That would mean that Mahomes last chance before hitting that 13% number is this year and would leave out Minny, Green Bay, Atlanta, Seattle, San Fran, and Pitt that won't win it this year.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

What I've seen of Goff makes me comfortable evaluating his performance lol. He appears to be the most conservative, yet error prone QB I've ever seen. I don't think an offense stacked full of Megatrons is going to change that too much. 

Yeah I get our oline has been a big disappointment and we may very well have the worst WR corps in the league, but you can't have such a terrible ypa and a bunch of turnovers.

Goff isn't a terrible QB but we're also not going to win anything with him. 

There's only 2 QBs as far as I'm concerned that look anything close to 1st rounders and that's Corral and Strong. 

Quick thought: would anybody be on board taking a QB high in 2 straight drafts? Why, why not?

14 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

Yeah I get our oline has been a big disappointment and we may very well have the worst WR corps in the league, but you can't have such a terrible ypa and a bunch of turnovers.

Goff isn't a terrible QB but we're also not going to win anything with him. 

There's only 2 QBs as far as I'm concerned that look anything close to 1st rounders and that's Corral and Strong. 

Quick thought: would anybody be on board taking a QB high in 2 straight drafts? Why, why not?

I would be strongly against a QB high in 2 straight drafts.  Its a waste of assets given we have so many other holes.  If we draft a QB and they look to be Josh Rosen after year 1, then maybe but then I would strongly question the talent evaluators.  

Goff can win.  He was in the Super Bowl which shows a good team around him along with good coaching, he can get you there.  He played bad in the SB but so did the whole Rams team.  I don't think he is the long term answer but he can win if we build the right team around him.  And then can find the guy to get us over the hump similar to what Alex Smith did for KC.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I’ve been wondering if the admin is just looking to make sure they get the number one pick? Not doubting deckers injury at all, but more wondering if they are like “don’t worry about getting back here this year. Take your time and be fully ready for next year.”

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LionArkie said:

I’ve been wondering if the admin is just looking to make sure they get the number one pick? Not doubting deckers injury at all, but more wondering if they are like “don’t worry about getting back here this year. Take your time and be fully ready for next year.”

I think 2022 and beyond is certainly their goal, but they're still appearing to try to win games so I doubt it's about the top pick and more about people coming back at 100% next year. 

• Like 1

I don’t think they are trying to lose per se, but it’s easier to lose if your best players are not on the field. You can bust your butt out there, but if the talent isn’t there then there is not much more you can do. But it probably is more about being healthy next year vs that number one pick.