Will "Cancel Culture" change the way NFL franchises build their teams? Or has it already?

Dome

Hopefully this is allowed, it directly relates to how the ever-changing society most NFL fans live in will (or already has) change the way NFL franchises build their staff and roster... not as much the most recent scandal with Gruden, but in a more general sense.

I personally believe we're going to see a major shift in NFL culture over the next few years and I think eventually the NFL is going to realize it took a strong stance when it really shouldn't have.

Do you think the trends of "Cancel Culture" and "Thought Crimes" will change the way NFL teams evaluate both players and coaches? Players or coaches more likely to say what they feel rather than what certain groups might want to hear will be considered to have more red flags, simply for something they said.

I personally think we're seeing it already.

A career was cut short because an outspoken group got their feelings hurt. A name was tarnished because someone dared to not hold the same values as certain members of the league or press. A man was forced out because he was willing to say or do things that lots of people in this country don’t have any issue with whatsoever.

Whether most of the blame should be put on Cancel Culture, or the free market working as cruelly as intended, or corrupted media empires forcing their belief system on the masses.... I don’t know.

I personally would’ve preferred to allow the product on the field to dictate what should be done in the immediate future. Regardless of whether or not I agree with what was said or done, it has nothing to do with football. If people don’t like it they can simply root against whoever said whatever made them mad.

Nobody got hurt, other than their feelings. 
Nobody said anything that hasn’t been said before and won’t be said again.
Nobody made threats or forced anyone to do anything they didn’t want.

If you don’t like what someone is saying, simply disagree with them and move on. I’m tired of it. The NFL is led by a mentally weak man with little to no spine.

I’m rambling, not really sure what else needs to be said about this topic at this point, but I hope my point came across clear: Colin Kaepernick got unfairly railroaded, and the NFL might finally on the road to learning from that mistake, no matter how slowly they learn.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Vladimir L said:

This wasn’t cancel culture

Gruden de the same stuff over and over again. 

Totally agree. He is a malicious, he can disappear. He used his work computer to insult entire groups of people using hateful slurs and stereotypes.

I said this wasn’t about him early in the post, tbf 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

In b4 the inevitable topic lock.

If people discuss things and stay within the rules I don’t know why we couldn’t discuss this.

It’s literally the Future of the NFL … FootballsFuture. 

Comments like yours don’t help that’s for sure.

11 minutes ago, Dome said:

If people discuss things and stay within the rules I don’t know why we couldn’t discuss this.

It’s literally the Future of the NFL … FootballsFuture. 

Comments like yours don’t help that’s for sure.

It's not about football itself, but about a topic that's not directly related to football - your title speaks to this.   Topics like these always go this route, given how the discussion inevitably ends up.     

My comments reflect the reality of the Forum.    Webby's Forum, Webby's rules.  Don't shoot the messenger lol. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

It's not about football itself, but about a topic that's not directly related to football - your title speaks to this.   Topics like these always go this route, given how the discussion inevitably ends up.     

My comments reflect the reality of the Forum.    Webby's Forum, Webby's rules.  Don't shoot the messenger lol. 

Well I certainly don’t intend on saying anything to get it locked. Not discussing anything less football related than other threads.

People will talk about this recent event and call it “cancel culture” when real people are seeing the negative impacts, verbal and physical attacks, based on the same things that were said. That’s a fair “canceling” that we may not have seen in years past.

But what about Kaep? Was he not canceled? Who did he hurt? NFL teams have been “cancelling” guys for various reasons for years, to not draw attention to those who were unfairly cancelled seems, well, unfair.

We can definitely discuss how this factors into NFL teams will evaluate players and staff moving forward, it’s definitely going to play a role moving forward.

I might just be an optimist but I think cancel culture(fascism to be more accurate) is going to be defeated. I think the majority of people hate it and it’s getting pushed back on more and more. Dave Chapelle seems to be winning rn. They need to keep hammering the point that Twitter isn’t real and these are mostly ne’er do wells who don’t actually buy things.

• Like 5

It’s not “cancel culture” and “thought crime” for a private entity wanting to distance themselves from an overt bigot who’s plastered all over sports media.

child please. NFL teams are a brand. They don’t want their brand tarnished. This isn’t a “cancel culture” or “fascism” (lmao) issue. This is basic economics and marketing.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dome said:

about Kaep? Was he not canceled? Who did he hurt? NFL teams have been “cancelling” guys for various reasons for years, to not draw attention to those who were unfairly cancelled seems, well,

The media that pretends to be for him has canceled him. They act like he’s dead but he still has a lot to say. But they never talk about what he’s actually saying now. He actually has a book coming out, might be out by now. But no one is having him on to talk about it.

6 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I might just be an optimist but I think cancel culture(fascism to be more accurate) is going to be defeated. I think the majority of people hate it and it’s getting pushed back on more and more. Dave Chapelle seems to be winning rn. They need to keep hammering the point that Twitter isn’t real and these are mostly ne’er do wells who don’t actually buy things.

That has nothing to do with football.

Do you think the way Kaep got forced out by cancel culture might change the way NFL view players who speak up for social reform? Are players who are vocal and outspoken going to be seen as more valuable than in years past? And how did a player like Kaep help pave the way?

I mean this now that we’ve had a bit of time to reflect on all the recent events, both on and off the field, that clearly have an impact on the way the NFL runs its business.

Edited by Dome

1 minute ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

The media that pretends to be for him has canceled him. They act like he’s dead but he still has a lot to say. But they never talk about what he’s actually saying now. He actually has a book coming out, might be out by now. But no one is having him on to talk about it.

I’m hoping (and it sounds like you are too) as we see more people who are true scumbags get outed, that the public perception on Kaep voicing his opinions might change.

He got a raw deal regardless of who you believe gave it to him.