Will "Cancel Culture" change the way NFL franchises build their teams? Or has it already?

Dome

1 hour ago, Dome said:

A career was cut short because an outspoken group got their feelings hurt.

That outspoken group being the NFL commissioner and the NFLPA director, two of the most powerful men in football? 

Tongue in cheek. I know the point you are making and agree that sensitivity is going to be a paramount issue going forward. I just think its odd that the only guy who has been busted so far also directly called his boss derogatory terms.

Edited by Matts4313

9 minutes ago, Glen said:

White*

Im sure you and pwny will be at the front of the picket lines, making sure the entire world sees you white knighting. 😙

-------------------------

Jokes aside, making it racial was probably dumb.

Edited by Matts4313

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Im sure you and pwny will be at the front of the picket lines, making sure the entire world sees you white knighting. 😙

-------------------------

Jokes aside, making it racial was probably dumb.

Replying directly to it when it had been ignored and making a passive aggressive joke directed at multiple users was probably not the best thing to do either. Please stay on topic and keep it clean.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

It’s not “cancel culture” and “thought crime” for a private entity wanting to distance themselves from an overt bigot who’s plastered all over sports media.

child please. NFL teams are a brand. They don’t want their brand tarnished. This isn’t a “cancel culture” or “fascism” (lmao) issue. This is basic economics and marketing.

So you’re more in this camp I take it, I see some of what you’re saying and tried to address it in the OP…

57 minutes ago, Dome said:

Whether most of the blame should be put on Cancel Culture, or the free market working as cruelly as intended, or corrupted media empires forcing their belief system on the masses.... I don’t know.

As someone who didn’t feel like his protest was meant to be disrespectful, I do consider the way he was forced out to be a bit cruel. He wasn’t a great QB and my have found himself without a team sooner than later but he deserved more of a shot than he was given.

Whatever he has said after being blackballed  isn’t nearly as relevant to me as the initial backlash he faced, and it certainly shouldn’t be relevant in a discussion about why he was forced out to begin with.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

I think you need to do a little homework on fascism because umm this makes no sense. Wouldn't cancel culture be more akin to a true democracy? 

If true democracy is mob rule then possibly.  You dont want that either.

• Like 1

"cancel culture" is just the medium. Certain people want things a certain way or have grievances and, whatever the motivation, they use public criticism to drag someone, group or entity. People have always used whatever was available to force desired outcomes, be it benevolent/malevolent.

...as to the football entertainment business, absolutely yes it will and has.

Edited by BrownLeader

10 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’m hoping (and it sounds like you are too) as we see more people who are true scumbags get outed, that the public perception on Kaep voicing his opinions might change.

He got a raw deal regardless of who you believe gave it to him.

Ok I’ll admit I only read the title at first and not even the post. Yes. I agree. He got a raw deal. He should’ve been able to get a job.

Where I disagree is that it seems like you think the media played a big part in pushing him out. The media was overwhelmingly pro Kaepernick. To the point where anyone who was against the protest was only allowed to say, “whether you agree or not he started a conversation.” And I think that actually made things worse because it made people who were against the protest feel like a narrative was being forced on them.

And I could have just imagined this. But I recall Kaepernick saying he wouldn’t comeback for less than $25 million as a starter. Which obviously isn’t going to happen.

12 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Replying directly to it when it had been ignored and making a passive aggressive joke directed at multiple users was probably not the best thing to do either. Please stay on topic and keep it clean.

Ignored for 6 minutes? lol. 

Messaged received tho bossman. No more poking fun. 

I mean, the NFL just destroyed Gruden (rightfully) but at the same time is allowing Antonio Brown to play without any repercussions? The Bucs removed Gruden from the Ring of Honor but not Warren Sapp? And it's not just Antonio Brown, it's numerous other players, too.

And undoubtedly there are other coaches/owners who feel the way Gruden do and probably have emails just as bad as Gruden. Will we ever see those? Probably not. The NFL got enough good PR from this that they can now go back to literally not caring what anyone else does. It's the NFL way - railroad one person you don't like in order to get some good PR and then pretend it's an isolated incident and never talk about it again.

EDIT: And to be clear, none of this was "cancel culture". In fact, the people shouting that phrase largely don't even understand what it means or how it works, and also largely partake in it while simultaneously saying it's ruining the world.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 5