Post game Thoughts- Panthers.

cconocool

I was working last Sunday, so I couldn't write anything.

I had the suspicion the Vikings were going to win before the game.

The Panther's receiving corps sucks, but that was offset by penalties. I didn't hate the penalties as a lot of them were tacky/reflective of our D's style of play.

KJ is a legit third receiver. 

We need to pass to open up the running game.

A for the secondary.

Patrick Peterson looked really good. He had a couple plays on him, but everything was great throws/ good scheme by the Panthers.

McAleksander is the best nickle DB in the game.

Even though Breeland got the first INT, I still want Danztler starting over him.

Woods is a great safety. A much better version of Sendejo.

Our WR corps makes amazing catches on a consistent basis. 

Their corner Aboye is great. 

Don't fool yourself, Anthony Barr is a key piece to this defense. 

• Like 1

This offense has the capability to play with anyone. The coaches just need to let them. 

The defense was great today until that final drive. I honestly do not understand the lack of pressure packages on those 4th down conversions. Two years ago, Zimmer would have dialed up so nice blitzes. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This offense has the capability to play with anyone. The coaches just need to let them. 

The defense was great today until that final drive. I honestly do not understand the lack of pressure packages on those 4th down conversions. Two years ago, Zimmer would have dialed up so nice blitzes. 

How much of that last drive had to do with Peterson being out?

First and foremost -- The Vikings Won!  

I thought the offense's play calling and execution was outstanding today.  Coming into the game, Carolina was giving up 190-ish yds/game passing and less than 100 rushing . . . allowing under 18 pts a game.  Basically, they WERE the #2 defense in the league . . . before the game.  The Vike's O did have an extra drive adding 75 yards in OT, but 496 in regulation is kickin'.  So, for all the Cousins' haters and Kubiak bashers, for this week, you get to stew;)  Or, shake your head, smile a bit, and like the rest of us, pray it continues.  The one glaring weakness offensively was holding on to the ball . . . 4 fumbles, with 1 lost is bad mojo.  Need to get that under control.

Defensively, the team played well --- except giving up FOUR (4) 1st downs on penalties and allowing two big 4th down conversions.  2-12 on 3rd downs, 4 sacks and getting 3 turnovers reflect stats of a good defensive effort.  Consider the blocked-punt TD and the last drive being 14 of the Panthers' points, the Vikes really need to put the terminating touch on opponents going forward.

The Special Teams sucked.  Do we need further elaboration on this?  🤔

I like the fact the Vikes have a bye week coming up.  It feels like management and coaching really have a chance to dial the team in for the gauntlet of games coming up.  Whether the record should be 5-1 or 4-2, it isn't.  The Vikes are 3-3, just like 30% of the teams in the NFL -- and  more importantly in the NFC, 4 teams have 4 or 5 wins after six weeks, with the Cardinals in process of winning their 6th.  So, there are 2 open wild-card spots and with the NFC wins, the Vikes are now sitting 7th -- in the playoffs.

Will they stay there?  I expect this team to actually improve and sweep the Packers (not to get ahead of myself).   Coming out of the bye, we host Dallas -- always a damn nail-biter, but we owe them a beat-down.  Then, it's on the road to Baltimore and LA to face the Chargers . . . ouch!  Coming back to U.S. Bank Stadium the fourth game is GB.  Where the Vikes sit after that stretch really means something more than being 7th, as we are today.

57 minutes ago, cconocool said:

I didn't notice anything that bad about the OL which is great. 

Darrisaw got beat badly on the missed FG to go to OT drive. Cousins saved him big time.

Udoh was terrible though. He's usually solid.

Peterson needs to be healthy. We need him badly.

KJ Osborn is the best #17 WR I've seen for us, and we had a special moment with Greg Lewis when he won the game against SF in 09 and Jarius Wright was mr automatic on 3rd down for a while.

The Special Teams is lol worthy still.

Our 4th down defense is trash.

Skol!

• Like 1

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Udoh rightfully won the starting RG job in training camp, and played well in weeks 1-3, but he’s really opened the door to give Wyatt Davis a shot after the bye. 

Maybe . . . Derrick Brown and DaQuan Jones aren't exactly Shemar Stephens-esque, more like K-Will level DTs.  So, Udoh had some issues today, but he also opened a big hole with O-Neill for Cook's TD.  

I'm glad they have the depth . . . regardless of whether Davis overtakes Udoh on the depth chart this year.  

I'm not sure why Breeland is still on the field as much as he is. Danztler outplayed him again. The interception was nice, but he was not good outside of that. 

I don't think Cousins was sacked once. Darrisaw had one bad play that I remember, but other than that, I didn't notice him...which is a good thing. Udoh had a bad game, but he's still very new at the position. Overall, the offensive line didn't really cost us.

The defense looked good. We had Darnold running all day. I think McCaffrey being injured helped us a lot, but we still locked down their receivers and shut down their running game. 

KJ Osborne has been outstanding this season. If his development continues, we may see him overtake Thielen as the #2 in the next couple seasons (mostly because Adam is on the wrong side of 30 and regression is expected).

Special Teams...ugh. They look great one week, and nearly cost us the game the next week. 

As I said after week 4, none of our guys really played during the preseason. Those first 4 games were basically our preseason. Barr is getting his feet back under him. If Peterson doesn't miss any time, I think the Defense is rounding into form. However, the coaching staff needs to realize that this is now, finally, Kirk Cousins' team, and we need to let him do his thing. For better or worse. He's been clutch all year, and if it weren't for a bad fumble call and a missed field goal, he'd be a top contender for MVP. Heck, he still might be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm not sure why Breeland is still on the field as much as he is. Danztler outplayed him again. The interception was nice, but he was not good outside of that. 

I don't think Cousins was sacked once. Darrisaw had one bad play that I remember, but other than that, I didn't notice him...which is a good thing. Udoh had a bad game, but he's still very new at the position. Overall, the offensive line didn't really cost us.

The defense looked good. We had Darnold running all day. I think McCaffrey being injured helped us a lot, but we still locked down their receivers and shut down their running game. 

KJ Osborne has been outstanding this season. If his development continues, we may see him overtake Thielen as the #2 in the next couple seasons (mostly because Adam is on the wrong side of 30 and regression is expected).

Special Teams...ugh. They look great one week, and nearly cost us the game the next week. 

As I said after week 4, none of our guys really played during the preseason. Those first 4 games were basically our preseason. Barr is getting his feet back under him. If Peterson doesn't miss any time, I think the Defense is rounding into form. However, the coaching staff needs to realize that this is now, finally, Kirk Cousins' team, and we need to let him do his thing. For better or worse. He's been clutch all year, and if it weren't for a bad fumble call and a missed field goal, he'd be a top contender for MVP. Heck, he still might be. 

Defense needs to actually play a worthwhile QB. They haven’t in a few weeks. I’m looking forward to seeing how they look against Prescott in couple weeks. I just hope it isn’t another 400 yard game like Murray had on us.

This was the best game the Vikings have played this season.  The Panthers came in to the game missing some key players due to injury...especially McCaffrey.  For most of the game the defense dominated their offense.  However, they let them back into the game and had to go to overtime to get the W.  The way the defense and offense played most of the game, the victory should not have been close.  There is something about this team that can't put an opponent  away after they get up a couple of scores.  That needs to be worked on.  Otherwise, good game.  KJO compliments Theilen and Jefferson really well!

52 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

There is something about this team that can't put an opponent  away after they get up a couple of scores.

This has always been the way Zimmer has coached. When the team gets a lead, he throttles down, supposedly to limit mistakes. Zimmer has always lacked the willingness to go for the knockout.

They could get away with it when the defense was a lockdown unit. But with the defense still prone to lapses, they need to just let the offense swing away. 

24 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This has always been the way Zimmer has coached. When the team gets a lead, he throttles down, supposedly to limit mistakes. Zimmer has always lacked the willingness to go for the knockout.

They could get away with it when the defense was a lockdown unit. But with the defense still prone to lapses, they need to just let the offense swing away. 

When you play with this mentality, even a Sam Darnold with a terrible receiving corps can come back into the game. The secondary needs a major overhaul. The only worthwhile players appear to be Smith, Woods and Alexander. Maybe Peterson as a 1 year stop gap. CB is likely the top need assuming MN is picking around 16.

Edited by vikingsrule