Is this the worst Browns regime?

everlong

2 hours ago, Joe_Murrell said:

You make it sound as if this is the Dating Game. So what if these two guys are simpatico? They are not football guys, have no clue how to build a team, and the Browns are 1-23. If Browns fans are okay with this, I call it some permutation of Stockholm Syndrome.

@Joe_Murrell- Gosh, Joe, just because two cool dudes like Sashi and DePodesta are "simpatico", as you put it, doesn't mean they can't run a football team. These guys are masters of analytics. These guys are Harvard-trained. These guys are on the "cutting edge" of the great new field of Analytics! Predictive analytics, prescriptive analytics, algorithms, marketing optimization, risk analytics, digital analytics, web analytics, security analytics, multidisciplinary modalities, the entire big-picture methodology- Sashi and DePodesta have it together!

"Simpatico" they may be, but the Cleveland Browns are the first NFL team to commit fully to the Brave New Future of ANALYTICS! With the rich haul of future draft picks they have collected, and go on collecting, surely Sashi and DePodesta have a great plan in place to lead the Browns in the 21st-Century Race for supremacy in Analytics. And some day- and that day may not be too far off- other cities may just be wishing they had converted to Analytics , like the Browns have!

Image result for analytics

Just to revisit this issue as the Browns keep losing, it's pretty clear that the Browns are trying a new approach. Let's see what happens once they have a chance to see it through to the end. Cleveland owns Houston's first and second round picks. Houston, without DeShaun Watson, will likely end with a top 10 pick. That means that the Browns will likely have four top 40 picks (as well as the Eagles' late-second round pick and their early-third round pick). 

That's a whole lot of draft capital. Let's see what they do with it. They may come out of this smelling like roses. They've got pieces on the OL. They've got pieces on defense. If they can land a QB and add some weapons, we might finally see football return to Cleveland. The Browns clearly have been zeroing in on the 2018 Draft. Let's give them a chance to use the assets they've built up before writing them off.

3 hours ago, Joe_Murrell said:

You don't give these rubes another year because the team is not improving. If this deal was working, there would be signs of improvement and games won. How much time do you need to see that this is not working? Some Browns fans seem content with losing.

I'm 100% not a Browns fan. But if you switch coaches/GM's every 2-3 years, you basically waste all your draft icks as the new guys wanna do it there way. You have to trust you hired the right guys at some point and let them see through a plan. Just my thoughts. 

5 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

I'm 100% not a Browns fan. But if you switch coaches/GM's every 2-3 years, you basically waste all your draft icks as the new guys wanna do it there way. You have to trust you hired the right guys at some point and let them see through a plan. Just my thoughts. 

And the thought of many Browns fans as well.

When our "rival" Steelers have had 3 coaches since the 60's and we've had 3 since 2013, things like this become perfectly clear.

This regime has openly stated they are playing the long game and the ownership group signed on for it. I have no clue whether it will work, but I STILL love what they are building.

Evaluating someone halfway through their plan is hella dumb. Give them 4-5 years and let's see how this unfolds. We still have a league leading amount of both cap space and draft capital and they youngest roster in the league, so it's pretty obvious we haven't reached anything close to our "final form" nor have they intended to win much right now.

Im fine with losing this year, another if need be (not this bad, but sub .500), if we are able to build a consistently competitive team. 

20 years of losing will make a person either a.) impatient and trigger happy or b.) very patient.  I'm the latter.  My only worry is the owner isn't.

47 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Just to revisit this issue as the Browns keep losing, it's pretty clear that the Browns are trying a new approach. Let's see what happens once they have a chance to see it through to the end. Cleveland owns Houston's first and second round picks. Houston, without DeShaun Watson, will likely end with a top 10 pick. That means that the Browns will likely have four top 40 picks (as well as the Eagles' late-second round pick and their early-third round pick). 

That's a whole lot of draft capital. Let's see what they do with it. They may come out of this smelling like roses. They've got pieces on the OL. They've got pieces on defense. If they can land a QB and add some weapons, we might finally see football return to Cleveland. The Browns clearly have been zeroing in on the 2018 Draft. Let's give them a chance to use the assets they've built up before writing them off.

^^^^

Jrry with his typical reasonable, rational take.

Good post.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

So they should just keep trading down for future picks. Never see it through to the end and therefore never get fired. #jobsecurity 

9 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

So they should just keep trading down for future picks. Never see it through to the end and therefore never get fired. #jobsecurity 

Yes and no.

Obviously they'll need to show results eventually, but that's a pretty decent plan if you end up with a talented team and 2 firsts every year.

"Never see it through to the end " and give them more than 20 months are two entirely different things.

Why not give them the length of their contracts? Seems like a pretty good time frame to me. If they haven't produced anything, don't bring them back and if they have, extend them.

The Browns do need to stick with something and just see it through. That has been for sure a big part of the problem. I seriously question this current Browns regime as talent evaluators though.  Which makes it makes the idea of sticking with them all the way through tricky. I mean you make all those trades and accumulate all those picks and end up with nothing 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

The Browns do need to stick with something and just see it through. That has been for sure a big part of the problem. I seriously question this current Browns regime as talent evaluators though.  Which makes it makes the idea of sticking with them all the way through tricky. I mean you make all those trades and accumulate all those picks and end up with nothing 

There's definitely risk, no doubt.

Andrew Berry had a good reputation and Polian thought highly of him when he signed on as the head of the scouting dept. Grigson is also on the scouting side and while he was obviously not good as a GM, he had to have done something well to get there originally.

It's just SOOOO early in the process for a regime that has obviously taken the long approach it's really hard for me to criticize them or compliment them.  I love the IDEA of it, but we really have no clue how it will play out.

I do feel pretty certain though that firing everyone again for the umpteenth time probably isn't the answer. The definition of insanity etc., etc.....

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Thank you. But meh it’s just the cheap easy thing to do now picking on the Browns. 

34 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Not to mention fun! :D

Yeah trolls need to have fun too. Sometimes we forget they are people too there aren't many that openly represent them so they are somewhat outcasts. Maybe the state of Pennsylvania should change their name to Trollsylvanvia.

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

If they don't win a game this season it's a house cleaning. You need to show some improvement. 

Archived