Is this the worst Browns regime?

everlong

42 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah trolls need to have fun too. Sometimes we forget they are people too there aren't many that openly represent them so they are somewhat outcasts. Maybe the state of Pennsylvania should change their name to Trollsylvanvia.

I wear my jekiness with pride! 

Haha im just messing with you guys. Nothing but respect for the fans that dont give up on the Browns year after year. 

8 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I wear my jekiness with pride! 

Haha im just messing with you guys. Nothing but respect for the fans that dont give up on the Browns year after year. 

#trollpride

We do give up on them every year but by the time the next season comes along we have forgotten about that and expect a playoff run.

10 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

So they should just keep trading down for future picks. Never see it through to the end and therefore never get fired. #jobsecurity 

Be reasonable here, Petey. Obviously, we're all people with the ability to think critically. Kicking the can down the road will not be an effective strategy forever. But they're in a position to build something special this year if they hit on their picks. Give them a chance to do that.

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

If they don't win a game this season it's a house cleaning. You need to show some improvement. 

Doing that would be a colossal mistake unless they knew with certainty they could land a proven HC (such as Jim Harbaugh, Gruden, etc.).

Otherwise, ride it out for another year or two. Here are the Browns' coaches fired since 2010 (assuming they fire Hue like you're advocating):

Mangini - Fired after 2 years

Shurmur - Fired after 2 years

Chudzinski - Fired after 1 year

Pettine - Fired after 2 years

Hue - Fired after 2 years

I'm actually pretty aggressive when it comes to turning over coaches. However, firing your coach every two years is not a way to build stability, and it will keep you from attracting good candidates. Show some patience this time (unless you're getting a guaranteed guy, as I said above).

"For evidence, Lynch and Shanahan needed to look no further than the Browns, their neck-and-neck challengers in the race to the bottom of the standings and the poster children for the Free Beer Tomorrow school of roster management.

The Browns spent the 2016 season going 1-15 while playing Extreme Moneyball. It was so much fun they made 2017 an encore performance. If they shoot for a three-peat in 2018, it will probably be with a new coach and/or front office, because while NFL owners are willing to wait two years for real progress, they won't wait that long for just a pulse.

Young players aren't really developing in Cleveland, because they are surrounded by other young players who need to develop, so every injury or mistake causes a chain reaction. The team's determination to avoid drafting a franchise quarterback—dodging opportunities to select Watson and Carson Wentz while congratulating itself on discount options like Cody Kessler and DeShone Kizer—has helped keep it permanently stalled at Step One of the rebuilding effort.

The Draft Hipsters and Orthodox Moneyballers believe rebuilding is all about saving cap space, hoarding mid-draft picks and waiting for the cosmos to line up just so. If a team can't compete for the Super Bowl, then screw it: Trade everything but the cleat brushes and let your fans spend Sundays reading mock drafts instead of watching games.

Rebuilding is really about acquiring better players so they can make your roster better so you can develop other good players and doing it all quickly so guys don't get old/injured/discouraged/lazy/fired while waiting for the flames to catch."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741599-49ers-taking-a-big-risk-in-jimmy-garoppolo-and-thats-a-good-thing

55 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Be reasonable here, Petey. Obviously, we're all people with the ability to think critically. Kicking the can down the road will not be an effective strategy forever. But they're in a position to build something special this year if they hit on their picks. Give them a chance to do that.

Doing that would be a colossal mistake unless they knew with certainty they could land a proven HC (such as Jim Harbaugh, Gruden, etc.).

Otherwise, ride it out for another year or two. Here are the Browns' coaches fired since 2010 (assuming they fire Hue like you're advocating):

Mangini - Fired after 2 years

Shurmur - Fired after 2 years

Chudzinski - Fired after 1 year

Pettine - Fired after 2 years

Hue - Fired after 2 years

I'm actually pretty aggressive when it comes to turning over coaches. However, firing your coach every two years is not a way to build stability, and it will keep you from attracting good candidates. Show some patience this time (unless you're getting a guaranteed guy, as I said above).

The Browns situation is unique in that the FO and the coach are at odds as the coach is not an analytics guy. I think something's gotta give there. 

7 minutes ago, lancerman said:

The Browns situation is unique in that the FO and the coach are at odds as the coach is not an analytics guy. I think something's gotta give there. 

If that's the case and Hue is being a problem, then you get rid of him. I agree.

1 hour ago, Scout said:

"For evidence, Lynch and Shanahan needed to look no further than the Browns, their neck-and-neck challengers in the race to the bottom of the standings and the poster children for the Free Beer Tomorrow school of roster management.

The Browns spent the 2016 season going 1-15 while playing Extreme Moneyball. It was so much fun they made 2017 an encore performance. If they shoot for a three-peat in 2018, it will probably be with a new coach and/or front office, because while NFL owners are willing to wait two years for real progress, they won't wait that long for just a pulse.

Young players aren't really developing in Cleveland, because they are surrounded by other young players who need to develop, so every injury or mistake causes a chain reaction. The team's determination to avoid drafting a franchise quarterback—dodging opportunities to select Watson and Carson Wentz while congratulating itself on discount options like Cody Kessler and DeShone Kizer—has helped keep it permanently stalled at Step One of the rebuilding effort.

The Draft Hipsters and Orthodox Moneyballers believe rebuilding is all about saving cap space, hoarding mid-draft picks and waiting for the cosmos to line up just so. If a team can't compete for the Super Bowl, then screw it: Trade everything but the cleat brushes and let your fans spend Sundays reading mock drafts instead of watching games.

Rebuilding is really about acquiring better players so they can make your roster better so you can develop other good players and doing it all quickly so guys don't get old/injured/discouraged/lazy/fired while waiting for the flames to catch."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2741599-49ers-taking-a-big-risk-in-jimmy-garoppolo-and-thats-a-good-thing

pretty untrue.  our run defense is #1 in the league in large part to a very young front seven, derrick kindred and briean boddy calhoun.
the run game and tight ends can be good (at least when duke is on the field) but we're oft so far behind that it doesnt matter

our WRs and QBs are trash, and we have a gaping hole at free safety (browns have admitted only reason peppers is playing there is solely because hes the only one who can, but they would like him to play closer to LOS)

we definitely have more talent than last year.  unfortunately we dont have talent at the most important position.

23 minutes ago, mistakey said:

pretty untrue.  our run defense is #1 in the league in large part to a very young front seven, derrick kindred and briean boddy calhoun.
the run game and tight ends can be good (at least when duke is on the field) but we're oft so far behind that it doesnt matter

our WRs and QBs are trash, and we have a gaping hole at free safety (browns have admitted only reason peppers is playing there is solely because hes the only one who can, but they would like him to play closer to LOS)

we definitely have more talent than last year.  unfortunately we dont have talent at the most important position.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense

My biggest issue with the Browns are the picks they spent on Kizer and Kessler. They have a ton of holes on the team and spent a 3rd and a 2nd on two QB's that i honestly doubt they thought were going to be the answer. Just select other players, build the team, and use a stopgap until you sign/trade/draft someone you truly believe is a franchise QB.

Archived