Dustin Hopkins released. Blewitt signed to active roster. Blewitt released. Slye signed.

MikeT14

7 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

He's awful on XPs 73 of 83 . not good. He's well seasoned and has a strong leg . Hope he's the answer  ! Oh yeah, and he is the prerequisite Carolina Panther castoff !!

Edited by RSkinGM
  • Like 2

Slye isn’t any better than Hopkins, but at least he’s better than Blewitt. Hopefully, maybe something clicks here and Slye kicks better than he has in the past, at least we have an NFL level kicker again. I didn’t trust Blewitt at all, I’m still shocked they made that move and it backfired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

He's awful on XPs 73 of 83 . not good. He's well seasoned and has a strong leg . Hope he's the answer  ! Oh yeah, and he is the prerequisite Carolina Panther castoff !!

Yeah, that number is very bad. He’s been going back and forth with Sam Ficken (who is, incidentally, probably the worst kicker who keeps getting work) for the lowest XP% of the last 30 years or so. Austin Seibert is trying to get into the mix on that one, as well.

I was always intrigued with Slye because he has such a strong leg. He can boom them from pretty much any distance, and his first season in Carolina, he caught my eye because he was young and nailing 50+ yard kicks at a pretty nice clip. Then he came crashing back to earth, and when you lose your job to Zane Gonzalez, that’s never a great sign. 

Clearly a better choice than Blewitt. But still demonstrably worse than the guy we already had, so......a mixed bag??

• Like 3

Leg strength I guess, like speed, can't be taught. But accuracy maybe can be coached up. Obviously from 33 yards the XP is not a problem of leg strength. Study the film and be sure his timing , approach are consistent. It ...SHOULD...be a solvable fix one would think but what the H do I know about kicking !?

9 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Leg strength I guess, like speed, can't be taught. But accuracy maybe can be coached up. Obviously from 33 yards the XP is not a problem of leg strength. Study the film and be sure his timing , approach are consistent. It ...SHOULD...be a solvable fix one would think but what the H do I know about kicking !?

Slye is a lot like Dustin Hopkins. He has a strong leg but has some accuracy issues. He’s certainly better than Blewitt, so at least we have a guy we can actually call an NFL level kicker now.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

He wasn’t very good at Va Tech. 

What matters more is what he’s done more recently rather that what he did 5 years ago in college.

He’s a 83% FG kicker this year. He missed 2 from 40-49 but, he’s 3-3 over 50.

I can’t imagine him being worse than what we’ve had so far this year with those #s.