Dustin Hopkins released. Blewitt signed to active roster. Blewitt released. Slye signed.

MikeT14

I am fine with the cutting of Hopkins, but not necessarily good with the replacement, whether its a short term replacement or a long term solution. 

Dan Bailey

Kai Forbath

Steven Hauschka

Stephen Gostkowski

Chandler Catanzaro

5 free agent kickers who have experience and could have been a part of the team, but instead, lets go with the Practice squad guy Blewitt. And the guys they worked out were no better than Blewitt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

Pretty ridiculous move, honestly. 

It’s not so much the idea of moving on from Hopkins — it’s the timing. This is when you cut bait? Not last year when he had that rough patch when he was hurt; not during preseason and week one when he seemed to really struggle with the transition to Cheeseman; not when he missed the two XPs...now? When you’re obviously just in “scapegoating” mode and looking for a move to quell some unrest?

One of the things that’s rough about being the kicker for a bad team is that your kick difficulty tends to be more higher than guys who kick for better offenses that don’t consistently stall out on the fringes of FG range. I first noticed it last season when he was having his resurgence — it seemed like every one of his kicks was from 40+. And that’s continued into this season, as 9 of his 14 kicks have been from at least 42 yards out. Based on the kick accuracy by distance data posted here, the average kicker would have 11.38 FGs out of the 14 Hopkins attempted this year. He made 12, making him about 5% better than league average. 

The worst part is that they replaced him with this guy Blewitt, who sucked in college and hasn’t been able to find any work in the NFL that would suggest he no longer sucks. If you’re gonna pull the plug on Hopkins, why not go poach a guy with huge talent like Borregales from TB? This idiot who you brought in for the practice squad because he lives nearby is the best replacement you could manage. 

In the end, I guess what we have to remember is that while no one else on this team is apparently capable of losing their job — even if they got caught DEALING DRUGS by the feds — kickers who have made 27 of their last 30 FGAs are the ones who need to fall. 

I was wondering why my friends were texting me. And I came here to find the news.

All of this, @e16bball

This reminds me of the worst of the coaches (not named Gibbs) in Snyder's tenure. 

Need to scapegoat someone? Cut the kicker. Don't cut the underperforming safety (or even bench him). Don't bench or cut anyone else. Assume no ownership of the complete crapstorm you have developed for this franchise and its fans. 

No. The kicker is at fault. He must be purged so we can lift the curse and we can be division champs again!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I was wondering why my friends were texting me. And I came here to find the news.

All of this, @e16bball

This reminds me of the worst of the coaches (not named Gibbs) in Snyder's tenure. 

Need to scapegoat someone? Cut the kicker. Don't cut the underperforming safety (or even bench him). Don't bench or cut anyone else. Assume no ownership of the complete crapstorm you have developed for this franchise and its fans. 

No. The kicker is at fault. He must be purged so we can lift the curse and we can be division champs again!!!

Bill Murray Applause GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

All of this, @e16bball

Hoenstly, both the kicker & the underperforming/overpriced safety needed to be cut. I’m not sold that Blewitt is the right guy or not. I have this feeling we’re going to be on a kicker carousel the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

Guess y'all saw the Chargers grabbed him . 84% kicker and half of his kicks off the lousy turf at home/ outside  .-didn't take long for someone to ****** him up . and kickoffs - whew just a bonus. !

The team gave him like 7 years to stop missing important kicks. If he ends up being elite elsewhere then so be it. It wasn’t going to happen here. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The team gave him like 7 years to stop missing important kicks. If he ends up being elite elsewhere then so be it. It wasn’t going to happen here. 

I would echo this. Some people just need a change in scenery. He was one. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Damn, hard to blame the team for this. No one could possibly have thought that cutting a basically league average kicker for the first no-name you can find might backfire. 

Maybe Rivera should complain to the GM about his decision making...

• Like 4