Week 7: Lions @ Rams: Goff Reunion

rocky_rams

5 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

That was one of those games that was too ugly but you're glad you won. A lot that needs to be fixed not the least of which is our continued terrible 1st quarter performances. Hope Rochelle is ok and are we ever going to get something out of our first pick? Nothing in the return game where we were told he would be a big factor and does he even get offensive snaps?

Tutu has been extremely disappointing. That pick could have easily been a C, backer, or even a corner. The fact we have no use for him right now is annoying. 

• Like 2

Frustrating game but a win is a win. 

Mcvay needs to give up playcalling. He's horrible at it. He should continue scheming and doing everything else that a HC does, but he needs an OC that can call them during a game. Having two downs to get one yard and going with a play action roll out on 4th? Not running the ball inside two minutes in the first half allowing the Lions to drive down and get a FG? Not running the ball in general? We picked up Sony for a reason. 

And I know I didn't have high expectations for Raheem since he came over from the Falcons, but he isn't it. If he doesn't have two of the top defensive players in the league, we most likely lose that game to the winless Lions at home. 

That being said, the players bailed out the coaching staff. We have some amazing guys on this team and there's no reason that game should've been that close. Kupp is on pace to break records, but I just wish we got Woods more involved. The end around on the 2 point conversion was a great call. 

Now on to the Texans. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Tutu has been extremely disappointing. That pick could have easily been a C, backer, or even a corner. The fact we have no use for him right now is annoying. 

Or a better WR :) Or an ILB that could be starting over Reeder who I think everybody will agree wasn't good today at all. Always hope for the best but didn't like the pick at the time, just hoping he proves me wrong which won't be the first time haha

• Like 1

Just now, NVRamsFan said:

Or a better WR :) Or an ILB that could be starting over Reeder who I think everybody will agree wasn't good today at all. Always hope for the best but didn't like the pick at the time, just hoping he proves me wrong which won't be the first time haha

Honestly I tried to defend the pick. Jackson’s future replacement blah blah.. but the kid has done absolutely nothing except fumble twice without getting touched lol he still has many years ahead of him but it’s not looking great right now. Watching him in person last week made me feel like he was going to get killed every play. 

But I agree.. we need a backer so badly. I wish the pick went towards that. Anything to at least contribute. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Frustrating game but a win is a win. 

Mcvay needs to give up playcalling. He's horrible at it. He should continue scheming and doing everything else that a HC does, but he needs an OC that can call them during a game. Having two downs to get one yard and going with a play action roll out on 4th? Not running the ball inside two minutes in the first half allowing the Lions to drive down and get a FG? Not running the ball in general? We picked up Sony for a reason. 

And I know I didn't have high expectations for Raheem since he came over from the Falcons, but he isn't it. If he doesn't have two of the top defensive players in the league, we most likely lose that game to the winless Lions at home. 

That being said, the players bailed out the coaching staff. We have some amazing guys on this team and there's no reason that game should've been that close. Kupp is on pace to break records, but I just wish we got Woods more involved. The end around on the 2 point conversion was a great call. 

Now on to the Texans. 

You lost me on McVay needs to give up playcalling. He is a genius. When you are a genius you can sometimes overthink things or get too cute. We have seen that with Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Kyle Shanahan, or any other great playcaller you can think of. Reid just had a game today where his Chiefs only scored 3pts against a bad Titans defense. Kyle had a 26pt lead and a 10pt lead in the Superbowl and lost both games. At the end of the day the Rams still scored 28pts today and moved the ball at will through the air despite not having a running game today. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

Im not giving up on Tutu after 7 games. Its called patience. Tutu is really a long term answer bc as long as DJax is healthy and active then Tutu wont make a big impact unless its special teams which we know he clearly isnt making right now but again its 7 games. How many people said that Akers was a wasted pick to start his career? We clearly know as time went on Akers wasnt a wasted pick he was an excellent pick. So we just need to be patient. 

30 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Im not giving up on Tutu after 7 games. Its called patience. Tutu is really a long term answer bc as long as DJax is healthy and active then Tutu wont make a big impact unless its special teams which we know he clearly isnt making right now but again its 7 games. How many people said that Akers was a wasted pick to start his career? We clearly know as time went on Akers wasnt a wasted pick he was an excellent pick. So we just need to be patient. 

I’m not giving up on him at all. However there’s definitely some glaring positions that we need help at and that pick could be better used for that. Especially because he isn’t even returning anything anymore. I feel like he hasn’t even shown flashes yet. Understandable though considering the times he has touched it. Mcvay and Snead and whoever could have easily found a receiver in the coming draft or 2 to find a replacement for DJax. Again, he might play well for us down the road.. but the smarter pick there was trying to upgrade a position of need for a team that’s in a “win now” situation. 

Edited by MDY10
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

I’m not giving up on him at all. However there’s definitely some glaring positions that we need help at and that pick could be better used for that. Especially because he isn’t even returning anything anymore. I feel like he hasn’t even shown flashes yet. Understandable though considering the times he has touched it. Mcvay and Snead and whoever could have easily found a receiver in the coming draft or 2 to find a replacement for DJax. Again, he might play well for us down the road.. but the smarter pick there was trying to upgrade a position of need for a team that’s in a “win now” situation. 

I get what you are saying. For what it’s worth he did flash in the preseason especially down the field. It’s already been established the Rams don’t put real emphasis on linebackers especially inside linebackers. The OL seems more than capable right now so that’s not an issue. So while they could’ve looked elsewhere to pick a player I think they were looking at Tutu thinking worst case scenario DJax can’t stay healthy like he hasn’t been able to do in recent history so he can step in and make some plays. Best case scenario is Tutu can do what Jefferson and Akers did. That’s learn but not do much if anything early then as the season goes along and even the next season become a bigger part of the offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stl4life07 said:

I’m not giving up on him because he hasn’t really done anything. It’s a luxury pick that feels wasted because we have issues at ILB,Corner depth and Center(which seems to be fine now). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Honestly I tried to defend the pick. Jackson’s future replacement blah blah.. but the kid has done absolutely nothing except fumble twice without getting touched lol he still has many years ahead of him but it’s not looking great right now. Watching him in person last week made me feel like he was going to get killed every play. 

But I agree.. we need a backer so badly. I wish the pick went towards that. Anything to at least contribute. 

He's probably not going to make much of an impact this year. We drafted him for the future.

• Like 1

Tough win, but with the Lions doing everything known to man just to end up with 19 points is a testament to this defenses will to win. 

I’m starting to feel like Ramsey during his post game presser. I really don’t understand all of this negativity towards the defense. They allowed one TD and forced the Lions to settle for FGs for the rest of the game despite all of the trickery and deception. 

We need faster starts on offense. I am tired of seeing punts and FGs early in the game, and I would like to take this moment to say that I want Fassel back. I hate this STs unit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

You lost me on McVay needs to give up playcalling. He is a genius. When you are a genius you can sometimes overthink things or get too cute. We have seen that with Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Kyle Shanahan, or any other great playcaller you can think of. Reid just had a game today where his Chiefs only scored 3pts against a bad Titans defense. Kyle had a 26pt lead and a 10pt lead in the Superbowl and lost both games. At the end of the day the Rams still scored 28pts today and moved the ball at will through the air despite not having a running game today. 

It doesn't matter if he overthinks everything or underthinks everything, the result is bad playcalling and it's been consistent since the Superbowl loss. You're mixing up play design and play calling. He is a genius at the design and how to scheme concepts. Honestly, he might be the best in the league at it, but he struggles calling them during the game. He gets too emotional and the second the running game slows down, he throws it out the window. 

It amazes me how people refuse to call him out on this stuff. I understand what he took this team from, but he isn't perfect. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

It doesn't matter if he overthinks everything or underthinks everything, the result is bad playcalling and it's been consistent since the Superbowl loss. You're mixing up play design and play calling. He is a genius at the design and how to scheme concepts. Honestly, he might be the best in the league at it, but he struggles calling them during the game. He gets too emotional and the second the running game slows down, he throws it out the window. 

It amazes me how people refuse to call him out on this stuff. I understand what he took this team from, but he isn't perfect. 

I get what you are saying. So by your logic Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Kyle Shanahan all should not call plays for their teams bc of how they can struggle with play calling in games. We have actually seen Payton emotions get the best of him in games. Kyle for strange reasons abandon the run when his team is winning big and you want to run. Not saying McVay is perfect but I dont think anyone on the planet would say he should stop calling plays. I do agree that he can be better at times but he definitely shouldnt give up play calling. 

20 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I get what you are saying. So by your logic Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Kyle Shanahan all should not call plays for their teams bc of how they can struggle with play calling in games. We have actually seen Payton emotions get the best of him in games. Kyle for strange reasons abandon the run when his team is winning big and you want to run. Not saying McVay is perfect but I dont think anyone on the planet would say he should stop calling plays. I do agree that he can be better at times but he definitely shouldnt give up play calling. 

Might not hurt, Shanny helped them lose that game last night and he's done so in the past. Every fan base at times has issues with those coaches you listed and their play calling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Tough win, but with the Lions doing everything known to man just to end up with 19 points is a testament to this defenses will to win. 

I’m starting to feel like Ramsey during his post game presser. I really don’t understand all of this negativity towards the defense. They allowed one TD and forced the Lions to settle for FGs for the rest of the game despite all of the trickery and deception. 

We need faster starts on offense. I am tired of seeing punts and FGs early in the game, and I would like to take this moment to say that I want Fassel back. I hate this STs unit.

This defense has looked bad at times. However they tend to bend a bit (probably a little more than we are used to from last year) but they still do great at not breaking. With this offense, it’s all we need. I still expect them to get better though. Williams will only miss one more game and be back for Julio/Brown and the titans. 

Also about the defense, doesn’t it feel like AD isn’t Exactly AD this year? I still think he’s the best player in the league, but even when he has gotten close to sacks he has missed them. He’ll get hated on for not having all the numbers this year but he’s still being disruptive. But for some reason I just feel he’s not 100% himself. 

As for special teams… after week 1 we all thought “they clearly focused on improving ST” but after 7 games they need a lot more help. Gay and Hekker have been fine, but it’s the return games that bother me. Punt return and kick return are hard to watch.