2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Surely not? We’ve been mediocre at best, if we are being generous, and an abject failure if not.

Vic was won what 7 games this year? Four of them agains the Jags, Jets, Giants and Lions. One total fluke against a cowboys team that was sleepwalking. If not for the easiest schedule in the league we’d be 4-12 instead of 9-7. Vic is part of the problem. Not the whole problem, but a major part of it. Good dude, again, If had a beer with him I’d probably like him, but he’s not a NFL HC. 

Mike Klis tells DMac and Tyler Polumbus that he would be surprised if Fangio survives.

The two most reliable beat writers are Klis and Allbright and both think he’s gone. It seems all the talk that the ownership situation might buy him an extra year was all smoke and that he will be gone.

Just got to hope we don’t beat the Chiefs and give Paton something to think about. 

48 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Vic was won what 7 games this year? Four of them agains the Jags, Jets, Giants and Lions. One total fluke against a cowboys team that was sleepwalking. If not for the easiest schedule in the league we’d be 4-12 instead of 9-7. Vic is part of the problem. Not the whole problem, but a major part of it. Good dude, again, If had a beer with him I’d probably like him, but he’s not a NFL HC. 

We also beat the WFT in a game that we tried incredibly hard to throw away and only won because the Football Team were even more incompetent than we were. 

22 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Mike Klis tells DMac and Tyler Polumbus that he would be surprised if Fangio survives.

The two most reliable beat writers are Klis and Allbright and both think he’s gone. It seems all the talk that the ownership situation might buy him an extra year was all smoke and that he will be gone.

Just got to hope we don’t beat the Chiefs and give Paton something to think about. 

Klis saying that is significant as he is the team mouthpiece, less so now with Paton running the show but Smyth still feeds him more as 9news is the “home of the Broncos.” 

31 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

At this point it would be a massive upset for any other outcome. 

28 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

It's official. CBS Sports Jason LaCanfora reports the Broncos will fire Vic Fangio after today's game and Dan Quinn is a leading target to replace him.

They also report Quinn could go back to Seattle if Pete Carroll retires.

Really like Quinn as a DC but not as a HC. I want an offensive mind for HC with a strong DC.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Really like Quinn as a DC but not as a HC. I want an offensive mind for HC with a strong DC.

If Quinn paired up with a strong OC mind, I'd be OK with it.   Obviously Quinn-Shanny was great in ATL until Shanny left.    Given the lean to a Shanahan style WCO, I think Mike McDaniel & Klint Kubiak (his work in MIN has been impressive, Kirk Cousins is a legit good QB now in that system <not great or elite, but clearly good>) would both likely fit.   Quinn's biggest problem I'd want to see addressed from his ATL days is his game management.   After what we endured with Fangio, that's a big no-no to go back there again lol.  Would want to see the interviews settle this issue (obv we won't know directly, but more what the FO looks for). 

I would have thought the same as you with LAC, for example - and yet Brandon Staley has been the new HC that's impressed me the most.   It's more his style (aggressive play-to-win, amazing communicator, long-term team first view <he pulled Bosa even though he cleared concussion screen in-game, as an example>) that I respect a ton.   I definitely want someone to come in and bring some sizzle to our O - but I'd rather they also complement the QB we bring in.   The QB-OC combo is going to matter as much as the HC, if not more so.  I do want a HC that will bring a more uptempo, aggressive mindset - you don't need to be O-based to bring that in.   

To be clear, I'd be OK with Dennis Allen if he could do the same.   Or get an O-mind with a great DC.    Staley's hire kinda exemplifies what can work if it's a Dennis Allen / Dan Quinn.  On the other hand, if it's Kellen Moore and a strong DC, all for it, if it checks the other boxes.   

TBH, I'm just excited we're on the cusp of moving on QB-wise, O-wise, and staff-wise.  The only 2 guys I'll outright miss if we don't retain are Munchak & Kollar - I'd love it if the next HC would retain them.   But all in all, change is overdue.   

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If Quinn paired up with a strong OC mind, I'd be OK with it.   Obviously Quinn-Shanny was great in ATL until Shanny left.    Given the lean to a Shanahan style WCO, I think Mike McDaniel & Klint Kubiak (his work in MIN has been impressive, Kirk Cousins is a legit good QB now in that system <not great or elite, but clearly good>) would both likely fit.   Quinn's biggest problem I'd want to see addressed from his ATL days is his game management.   After what we endured with Fangio, that's a big no-no to go back there again lol.  Would want to see the interviews settle this issue (obv we won't know directly, but more what the FO looks for). 

I would have thought the same as you with LAC, for example - and yet Brandon Staley has been the new HC that's impressed me the most.   It's more his style (aggressive play-to-win, amazing communicator, long-term team first view <he pulled Bosa even though he cleared concussion screen in-game, as an example>) that I respect a ton.   I definitely want someone to come in and bring some sizzle to our O - but I'd rather they also complement the QB we bring in.   The QB-OC combo is going to matter as much as the HC, if not more so.  I do want a HC that will bring a more uptempo, aggressive mindset - you don't need to be O-based to bring that in.   

Which is a big reason I don’t want him

19 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Which is a big reason I don’t want him

That's completely fair.   The one thing is, that was Quinn's first gig.   I would want to know if he's learned from that, and willing to change.   I say that because there are at least 2 HC's who've completely turned around game management weaknesses and are really becoming assets - Zac Taylor & Matt Lafleur (remember the NFCG FG instead of going for TD debacle).   Both have gone from liabilities to big assets this season (Taylor's been more of an in-season, Lafleur's done it from the start).   If you're the same way through multiple different jobs, or you're late in your coaching career, it's not likely going to change.  Given Quinn was a SEA DC-turned-HC with no prior game management, there's room to see if he's learned.  

If Quinn hasn't learned from his game management mistakes, then yeah, it's a big problem.   Because to legitimately contend, coaching game management decisions matters so much between good teams.   Fangio's absolutely killed us in close games.   If Quinn isn't any better from his ATL days, yeah, I get why ppl wouldn't want him.   Given it was his first gig, though - there's a much better chance he's learned.   It's not a given, but it's very possible.  That is the one key question I want addressed with the FO, though.  I wouldn't want this to be a fait accompli - obviously we won't know, but if I'm Paton, I want to ask, and get specifics, on what he's learned and would change game-management wise from his ATL days.

Edited by Broncofan

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

To be clear, I'd be OK with Dennis Allen if he could do the same.   Or get an O-mind with a great DC.    Staley's hire kinda exemplifies what can work if it's a Dennis Allen / Dan Quinn.  On the other hand, if it's Kellen Moore and a strong DC, all for it, if it checks the other boxes.   

TBH, I'm just excited we're on the cusp of moving on QB-wise, O-wise, and staff-wise.  The only 2 guys I'll outright miss if we don't retain are Munchak & Kollar - I'd love it if the next HC would retain them.   But all in all, change is overdue.   

Isn’t Mike McDaniel the OC in San Francisco? So we wouldn’t be allowed to hire him in a lateral move.

Klint Kubiak is also an OC in Minnesota but the belief is that Zimmer will be fired so he will be free to find a new job. 

6 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Isn’t Mike McDaniel the OC in San Francisco? So we wouldn’t be allowed to hire him in a lateral move.

Klint Kubiak is also an OC in Minnesota but the belief is that Zimmer will be fired so he will be free to find a new job. 

If you make him assistant HC with a title, you can theoretically jump SF.   Obviously SF could do the same to match, but the title issue can be worked around.  Most importantly, DEN-SF's good relationship would likely allow it, especially if it was seen as a chance for McDaniel to progress.   He'll always be seen as Shanny's #2 in SF, rather than the true O architect.  Especially since Shanny has a direct hand in play-calling, coming to DEN would be a definite promotion to be the #1 guy.   

If it wasn't SF-DEN, it would be less likely, but the good relationship between teams is likely the main reason his name gets thrown around when DEN beat guys talk about potential OC's.   There's no doubt it would be a promotion in responsibilities/power if it was paired with a D-first HC.   Kinda like when Adam Peters left DEN to join SF.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

That's completely fair.   The one thing is, that was Quinn's first gig.   I would want to know if he's learned from that, and willing to change.   I say that because there are at least 2 HC's who've completely turned around game management weaknesses and are really becoming assets - Zac Taylor & Matt Lafleur (remember the NFCG FG instead of going for TD debacle).   Both have gone from liabilities to big assets this season (Taylor's been more of an in-season, Lafleur's done it from the start).   If you're the same way through multiple different jobs, or you're late in your coaching career, it's not likely going to change.  Given Quinn was a SEA DC-turned-HC with no prior game management, there's room to see if he's learned.  

If Quinn hasn't learned from his game management mistakes, then yeah, it's a big problem.   Because to legitimately contend, coaching game management decisions matters so much between good teams.   Fangio's absolutely killed us in close games.   If Quinn isn't any better from his ATL days, yeah, I get why ppl wouldn't want him.   Given it was his first gig, though - there's a much better chance he's learned.   It's not a given, but it's very possible.  That is the one key question I want addressed with the FO, though.  I wouldn't want this to be a fait accompli - obviously we won't know, but if I'm Paton, I want to ask, and get specifics, on what he's learned and would change game-management wise from his ATL days.

I do think he would do a lot of good for  Chubb moving to a 4-3 end role. 

• Like 1

Glad Fangio said it in his press conference.  Biggest difference between Denver and the rest of the AFC West is QB play.  It was a parting shot from him, but Elway and Co deserved it. 

The #1 reason this team at best hovers around .500 or worse isn’t because of coaching or the draft or FA moves.  It’s because they can’t find an even NFL average QB since 2015.

Firing Fangio (and I am for it) does nothing unless this organization gets a legitimate NFL starting QB in the building.  

• Like 1