2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The other interesting tidbit for Allbright - his continued love for Dan Quinn.  

Besides the obvious connection to how well he's run the DAL D and what he could do here - remember, he was the DC during the Legion of Boom 2013-14 years before joining ATL as HC in 2015 - so he'd likely have very good rapport with Russell Wilson, given the SB ring and 2nd trip in back to back years.   

With the increasing doubt on whether A-Rod is truly going to leave GB given their success, that's another layer to the Quinn-HC angle.   To me, I'd really like to know if Quinn has learned from his ATL days on game management - much like Fangio, this was an issue in ATL (not as bad as Fangio here, though - it's hard to struggle that much; but it's still a big factor when teams play in close games).

If he's learned to improve on game management from his ATL days, and he can find a great OC that can leverage the (hopefully) QB upgrade we bring in, all for it.    Obviously more than 1 guy, but the Wilson connection is worth recognizing as another factor in the love.  

Darrell Bevell’s gonna be looking for a new job. I don’t know if he’s necessarily the guy I’d want personally, but a Quinn/Bevell/Wilson triumvirate…you could do a lot worse.

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Darrell Bevell’s gonna be looking for a new job. I don’t know if he’s necessarily the guy I’d want personally, but a Quinn/Bevell/Wilson triumvirate…you could do a lot worse.

Bevell's play calling and game management are huge no-no's IMO.   It's been a huge problem in SEA even before this year, and why he was ousted in 2018 (and specifically at Wilson & the WR's commenting on how predictable, simplistic and easy-for-D's to defend).    I'd hope we can do much, much better.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/analysis-five-reasons-the-seahawks-fired-darrell-bevell-and-tom-cable/ - summarizes the feelings when he left.

When he left in 2018, he then became the OC in DET for 2019-20 - and those years were the ones that tanked Matt Stafford's perception.  When it was way more Bevell/Patricia and scheme (and bad personnnel decisions, again on Bevell too) than Stafford.  DET ranked 27th and 21st in the run by DVOA, and 21st / 17th overall in his 2 years, and frankly Stafford's presence was the big reason the pass game was higher (when he didn't play, they tanked hard, tale of 2 seasons in 2020).

And in case you think Bevell's improved this year - witness his game management last week vs. NYJ with JAX (remember he just took over 3 games ago from Urban Meyer as interim HC).

-Calls a run with 60 secs  down 5 at NYJ 30and no TO's left...uses up 20 secs with no TO's.

-Lawrence runs OB to 5 yard line with 35 secs left. 1st and goal.

-Calls for swing pass to RB that's 3 yards short of sticks.  Incomplete.  Lucky it was TBH.

-Lawrence throws a ball into EZ, tipped, so caught at 1 yard line.   Clock running with about 20 secs.  JAX gets to LOS with about 15 secs left....and Lawrence, at Bevell's direction, SPIKES THE BALL.   12 secs left.  At the 1.   Yes, now they have only 1 play left to score instead of 2.  

-Lawrence misses WR on 4th down play, on a play the Jags are scrambling to get off before the play clock gets to 0.    Illegal shift also called.   Jets win with 7 secs still left on clock. 

Under Bevell, the SEA O had worse problems they had this year - predictable, easy to defend, and bad at 3rd down.   DET, he was horrible.   As JAX OC, it's a bad team, but terribly coached.   You add in the bad game management, it's a bad hire.   

I said Matt Nagy is an Adam Gase level bad OC, absolute do-not-interview.  Darrell Bevell is pretty close to that.   We can do a LOT better.   The good news I'd imagine is Wilson's feelings on Bevell were pretty clear after the 2017-8 seasons - if the view is to bring in Quinn and entice Wilson to come, I think Bevell won't be part of that equation.

Edited by Broncofan

16 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The other interesting tidbit for Allbright - his continued love for Dan Quinn.  

Besides the obvious connection to how well he's run the DAL D and what he could do here - remember, he was the DC during the Legion of Boom 2013-14 years before joining ATL as HC in 2015 - so he'd likely have very good rapport with Russell Wilson, given the SB ring and 2nd trip in back to back years.   

With the increasing doubt on whether A-Rod is truly going to leave GB given their success, that's another layer to the Quinn-HC angle.   To me, I'd really like to know if Quinn has learned from his ATL days on game management - much like Fangio, this was an issue in ATL (not as bad as Fangio here, though - it's hard to struggle that much; but it's still a big factor when teams play in close games).

If he's learned to improve on game management from his ATL days, and he can find a great OC that can leverage the (hopefully) QB upgrade we bring in, all for it.    Obviously more than 1 guy, but the Wilson connection is worth recognizing as another factor in the love.  

As I’ve said quite a few times as well, I want a HC with prior HC experience. Quinn fits the bill as you say, if he can fix his clock/game management issues. He also knows what it’s like to have a real OC (his only two good seasons in Atlanta came with Kyle running the offense). I like Dennis Allen a lot too and Raheem Morris who could tap in to the McVay well. My beat writer friend, again someone everyone here knows and respects, keeps saying he believes it will be a second time HC with a Shanahan/McVay tree OC. 

17 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

As I’ve said quite a few times as well, I want a HC with prior HC experience. Quinn fits the bill as you say, if he can fix his clock/game management issues. He also knows what it’s like to have a real OC (his only two good seasons in Atlanta came with Kyle running the offense). I like Dennis Allen a lot too and Raheem Morris who could tap in to the McVay well. My beat writer friend, again someone everyone here knows and respects, keeps saying he believes it will be a second time HC with a Shanahan/McVay tree OC. 

If his first words out of his mouth are "Darrell Bevell", that's a hard pass.  Pretty big difference between Kyle Shanahan and Darrell Bevell, though (LOL) - it's like moving up from from your dad's station wagon to a new sportscar.    Hopefully he looks for something similar if he's our leading HC candidate.

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If his first words out of his mouth are "Darrell Bevell", that's a hard pass.  Pretty big difference between Kyle Shanahan and Darrell Bevell, though (LOL) - it's like moving up from from your dad's station wagon to a new sportscar.    Hopefully he looks for something similar if he's our leading HC candidate.

I think Bevell has equated himself so poorly that he wouldn’t be a legitimate candidate. He hasn’t been a name mentioned by my friend either. Especially so after the current Shurmur fiasco. I think Klint Kubiak, given his tree and tires to Paton, is a very real possibility. 

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think Bevell has equated himself so poorly that he wouldn’t be a legitimate candidate. He hasn’t been a name mentioned by my friend either. Especially so after the current Shurmur fiasco. I think Klint Kubiak, given his tree and tires to Paton, is a very real possibility. 

As much as I don’t think he’s the answer, Kirk Cousins’ play has really improved the last 2 years in Kubiak’s scheme (and pretty clear if you had to spend 18M on Case Keenum or 25M on Kirk Cousins - Cousins was the answer by a wide margin).  And the Kubiak O certainly has balance.   

Russell Wilson with Dan Quinn (better game manager version) / Klint Kubiak OC would check a lot of boxes.   Lot of buzz that Mike Zimmer is getting canned on Black Monday which would free up Kubiak too, since it would be a lateral hire (and in theory needs MIN permission but not if they are turning the staff over).   The Paton connection is certainly there.   

Edited by Broncofan

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As much as I don’t think he’s the answer, Kirk Cousins’ play has really improved the last 2 years in Kubiak’s scheme (and pretty clear if you had to spend 18M on Case Keenum or 25M on Kirk Cousins - Cousins was the answer by a wide margin).  And the Kubiak O certainly has balance.   

Russell Wilson with Dan Quinn (better game manager version) / Klint Kubiak OC would check a lot of boxes.   Lot of buzz that Mike Zimmer is getting canned on Black Monday which would free up Kubiak too, since it would be a lateral hire (and in theory needs MIN permission but not if they are turning the staff over).   The Paton connection is certainly there.   

In that respect, let’s hope the hire isn’t Mike Zimmer. Paton doesn’t seem to be one - like the Patriot Way crews that are slowly but steadily losing influence around the league - to hire someone solely based on prior contentions. But I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

In that respect, let’s hope the hire isn’t Mike Zimmer. Paton doesn’t seem to be one - like the Patriot Way crews that are slowly but steadily losing influence around the league - to hire someone solely based on prior contentions. But I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Zimmer has the same MO as Fangio - but far less success on the actual D production.   That would be a shocker to put it mildly.   I think it’s pretty doubtful but guess we’ll see soon enough.   

29 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Zimmer has the same MO as Fangio - but far less success on the actual D production.   That would be a shocker to put it mildly.   I think it’s pretty doubtful but guess we’ll see soon enough.   

While he wasn’t and hasn’t been the elite DC Vic has, he’s equated himself better as a HC. Vic has been the opposite. But even as a CEO, Zimmer cannot be the guy. 

Some on The Fan right now are saying they think the Rapport story yesterday - which was an obvious leak from someone in the the know - that Vic will be retained is legit. 

There are going to be 20,000 no shows on Saturday. If that doesn’t send a message to Ellis/Paton that serious changes have to be made, then all hope is lost. 

• Like 1

Zimmer as DC has to be a possibility, feel like he’s the type who could want to get away from HC responsibilities for a year or two. But if it’s Dan Quinn, he probably brings in someone like Kris Richard as DC. Can’t see him relinquishing control of the defense and scheme even if he’s not calling plays.

16 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

And I’ll add, I remember my friend saying that “the trust” (I.e., Ellis) preferred a Vic + Gary Kubiak pairing last go around but Gary wanted his whole band back together and that didn’t sit well with Elway who wanted a more modern approach, hence the decision to get Scangarello. 

I remember this...we re feeling it now.

9 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

There’s only one way you can justify retaining Vic - you somehow know you’re about to land Rodgers or Wilson. And you’re still stuck with Vic’s game management issues in close games. 

ORRR...you retain Vic and hire an "Assistant" HC to handle the in game management, which means they'd be the HC.  Vic can keep his HC title while he can focus solely on coordinating the defense.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I mention this a few days ago and nobody commented - either because it got swallowed in the discussion or people thought it too stupid an idea to comment on. But I am going to put it out again -

Is Jim Caldwell a possibility? - previous experience as HC - got to the SB with the Manning Colts - was OC with the Revns when they won the SB with Flacco - and is the only HC of the Lions with a winning record in the last 40 years. The fact that Manning could be part of the new ownership group might help him. The big downside is his age - but he would definitely be a CEO type of HC and the word is that he is interested in getting back into the game.