2022 Coaching Candidates

BroncoBruin

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The Fan's list is hilarious.

Chad Brown, noted Patriot apologist and former CU star, lists as his top choices Josh McDaniels, Brian Daboll and Eric Bieniemy. Real surprising his three choices are two guys from New England and one from CU. What a total hack. 

Hang on.

Josh McDaniels is over a decade out from his disaster in Denver now and I'm open to the argument that he's earned a second chance to be a head coach in the NFL.

But under literally no circumstances should he EVER be back in Denver. Not in 2022 and not ever. To do show would be to show blatant disregard to the fan base he destroyed, to the late owner Mr Bowlen who he embarrassed, and to every player that had the misfortune of representing us during that reign.

It's an absolute disgrace to even suggest interviewing him for the vacancy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Right - when the run was fueled by an insanely hot Carey Price.  Goalies can carry teams in playoffs.   

Raider fans might be better off losing @ CIN for the long run.   Bisaccia is a great story but HC Harbaugh / DC Fangio would be a great combo.  

For this reason, for the first time in my life, I will be rooting for the raiders this weekend. Made me nauseous just typing that out

• Like 1

There are a few names that keep getting thrown out there by some local media and, while I get they're trying to keep interest up in their work, drive clicks, etc., - that just don't make any sense to me. 

Flores is one. Jerod Mayo, who Klis keeps mentioning for some unknown reason, is two. Brian Daboll is another. Paton has been around the league long enough to see enough former New England assistants get HCing jobs and fall on their face. When a NE assistant gets a job the results are not just bad they are almost always spectacularly bad. I think George knows this. 

The other ones I don't think are real possibilities are Eric Bieniemy (a hot name with casual fans and some local media), because that is the Andy Reid show in KC, he wouldn't be bringing Patrick Maholmes with him and there are apparently some pretty checked aspects to his past. I don't think Leftwich is a serious candidate; that's the Tom Brady/Bruce Arians show in Tampa and he's the very definition of a hot coordinator. Same with Kellen Moore. 

I just have a gut feeling that George is going to go for someone with a longer resume of success and who brings a big personality to the job. I don't think Allbright is that far off base in thinking Quinn is the leading candidate. 

*Gigantic hindsight and butterfly effect caveats are needed here*

Is CHI really an attractive destination with Justin Fields right now? Wouldn’t it look more appealing with someone like Kwity Paye, Owusu-Koramoah, Greg Newsome, Odafe Oweh, PLUS the 7th overall pick? This is certainly not me closing the book on Fields, as he’s young, had an inept coach, has only played ~10 games, etc. But he showed more bad than good, that cannot be denied. Would you rather be hitched to him for the next 2 years, or take the mystery box? 

With that said, can we still be upset about Paton not taking him when Fangio was clearly inherited for at least a season? We would be in CHI’s position right now, which I’m not sure is all that good. (The trade down looks like even more of a lost opportunity, though, as WE could have one of those players plus 1.7 in exchange for Pat Surtain.)

Right or wrong, I think the Jerod Mayo interview is accomplishing two things. One is the Rooney Rule. The second, is possibly to see whether Mayo could be a defensive coordinator candidate for the team. I would find it extremely unlikely that Mayo is the HC, though stranger things have happened.

He is, however, a name that appears to be highly regarded around the league.

20 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

There are a few names that keep getting thrown out there by some local media and, while I get they're trying to keep interest up in their work, drive clicks, etc., - that just don't make any sense to me. 

Flores is one. Jerod Mayo, who Klis keeps mentioning for some unknown reason, is two. Brian Daboll is another. Paton has been around the league long enough to see enough former New England assistants get HCing jobs and fall on their face. When a NE assistant gets a job the results are not just bad they are almost always spectacularly bad. I think George knows this. 

The other ones I don't think are real possibilities are Eric Bieniemy (a hot name with casual fans and some local media), because that is the Andy Reid show in KC, he wouldn't be bringing Patrick Maholmes with him and there are apparently some pretty checked aspects to his past. I don't think Leftwich is a serious candidate; that's the Tom Brady/Bruce Arians show in Tampa and he's the very definition of a hot coordinator. Same with Kellen Moore. 

I just have a gut feeling that George is going to go for someone with a longer resume of success and who brings a big personality to the job. I don't think Allbright is that far off base in thinking Quinn is the leading candidate. 

So much for all of this. 

1 minute ago, broncos67 said:

Right or wrong, I think the Jerod Mayo interview is accomplishing two things. One is the Rooney Rule. The second, is possibly to see whether Mayo could be a defensive coordinator candidate for the team. I would find it extremely unlikely that Mayo is the HC, though stranger things have happened.

As a team that had one of the least-diverse coaching staffs in the league the last couple seasons, not a bad idea to cast a wide net among applicable candidates this time around.

29 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

According to Shefter, Jerod Mayo has been requested an interview.

25 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Just saw that from Klis as well. What a joke. 

24 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

If we're not interviewing Flores, then yes, Mayo fills the Rooney rule.   I don't mind thinking outside the box, and getting new name.   WAY better than retreads.

But I'll be upfront - no way on BB coaches, especially on D - until they've shown they can succeed on their own 2 feet on another org.   Brian Flores, absolutely would consider, we'd be crazy not to.   A guy who's ONLY been working with BB?   Sorry, I'll let another team take that chance and show me that he's successful there.  The track record with first-time BB departures succeeding is Mike Vrabel, Brian Flores, and a LOT of failures, and spectacular ones at that.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

So much for all of this. 

I'm not going to go that far. I don't think it is likely George makes this hire. It's just an interview, a RR one at that, but I would be really, really surprised if we were to hire a Belichick assistant with three years of experience as a position coach on a team that has a horrendous track record of assistant coaches going on to success. 

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

The only thing worse than hiring McDaniels would be hiring another of his buddies from Foxboro to come and ruin our franchise.

Hard no on Jerod Mayo, even as a coordinator. Hopefully this is just a Rooney rule play. 

Why not as a coordinator?