Impending Hue Jackson Firing, Coaching Non-Options, & Other Nonsense

Mind Character

16 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

They said after we fired pettine that we wouldn’t be able to hire anyone. But then we hired our top target and the hottest name on the market...so not sure your narrative of coaches not wanting to come here is entirely accurate. 

yeah except for we told the world with this restart it was going to be a long tear down.  and we (probably will) cut and run in the middle.  why would anyone believe us/put their trust in us?  we're just gonna fire in 2 years regardless cause thats what we always do.  its terrible and it has to stop some time or we WILL be terrible forever.  

at least have to keep the FO.

39 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

They said after we fired pettine that we wouldn’t be able to hire anyone. But then we hired our top target and the hottest name on the market...so not sure your narrative of coaches not wanting to come here is entirely accurate. 

And yet some still think HE is the problem.

WE (the Browns) are the problem. Until we stop operating like the Browns we will continue to be the problem.

Hiring and firing every year or two hasn't worked yet, but why stop now, right?

25 minutes ago, mistakey said:

yeah except for we told the world with this restart it was going to be a long tear down.  and we (probably will) cut and run in the middle.  why would anyone believe us/put their trust in us?  we're just gonna fire in 2 years regardless cause thats what we always do.  its terrible and it has to stop some time or we WILL be terrible forever.  

at least have to keep the FO.

Yeah, it may not have happened 20 months ago, but eventually people will want nothing to do with Haslam if he keeps up this trend.

Any reasonable coach is going to look at how Hue would have been handled and it will raise some eyebrows.

We have a slew of assets and cap space, so someone will take the gig, but it may not be the guy their top target.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Literally the same things fans here say with every regime.

Both Hue and Gregg have been successful multiple places before here and will be successful if they leave, just like the guys I just named (Romeo, Shurmur, Arians, etc).

These guys didn't get the job on a fluke, they were viewed as top shelf, proven candidates for a reason.

Hue will be just fine in Cincinnati next year, I agree.

Arians left after our only playoff season to take a lesser job in Pittsburgh. He was not fired. He then toiled away there for 8 years before being leaving when he was passed over for the Steelers coaching job when Cowher left. Then only became a head coach in Indy on an interim basis when Pagano got leukemia, and won Coach of the Year (the only interim coach to ever do so). He then was a highly sought after candidate, 10 years after he voluntarily left the Browns.

Shurmur was not a top shelf, proven candidate though. He was Holmgren's agent's choice.

RAC got hired after taking over as interim when Todd Haley got canned midseason. He then got fired after the next season.

Don't rewrite history to suit your point.

8 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Hue will be just fine in Cincinnati next year, I agree.

Arians left after our only playoff season to take a lesser job in Pittsburgh. He was not fired. He then toiled away there for 8 years before being leaving when he passed over for the Steelers coaching job when Cowherd left. Then only became a head coach in Indy on an interim basis, and Indy passed over him despite winning Coach of the Year (the only interim coach to ever do so).

Shurmur was not a top shelf, proven candidate though. He was Holmgren's agent's choice.

RAC got hired after taking over as interim when Todd Haley got canned midseason. He then got fired after the next season.

Don't rewrite history to suit your point.

Are we debating Arians was maligned here or unsuccessful elsewhere? Fans thought he was a moron.

Shurmur as an OC helped Nick Foles have a 27/2 TD/INT ratio and is currently winning games with Sam Bradford getting hurt every other week and Case Keenam as his qb.  Fans here thought he was a moron.

Romeo did fine as the Pats DC and is doing fine as the Texans DC now. He knows defense.  Fans here thought he was a moron.

So Hue will be fine in Cincy, but we should fire him?  

35 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Are we debating Arians was maligned here or unsuccessful elsewhere? Fans thought he was a moron.

Shurmur as an OC helped Nick Foles have a 27/2 TD/INT ratio and is currently winning games with Sam Bradford getting hurt every other week and Case Keenam as his qb.  Fans here thought he was a moron.

Romeo did fine as the Pats DC and is doing fine as the Texans DC now. He knows defense.  Fans here thought he was a moron.

So Hue will be fine in Cincy, but we should fire him?  

TBF on Romeo his sucesss as a head coach is definitely not that great.  great DC tho

This whole regime needs another year after then plan they put in place to sacrifice almost any winning piece not under 25y.o. and many high draft picks for more future ones. That's a 4 year rebuild strategy, not 2. I say this as someone who hates, hates, hates the management structure Truckstop Jimmy has put in place, particularly giving final roster say to non-football guys. If this were any other time, I'd love to see Sashi fired, but they layed out a plan, and there's no point in blowing it up now when they aren't even halfway through it, so we need to keep him and Hue. We can't keep doing this every 2 years.

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

TBF on Romeo his sucesss as a head coach is definitely not that great.  great DC tho

No, he wasn't, but Browns fans act like these coaches forgot football or something.

It's just crazy how all these guys were identified as "up and comers" or whatever and many go on to have success elsewhere after they leave, but when the ALL fail HERE it's THEM, as if the way the team has done business by having zero continuity or stability isn't even in the realm of possibility as a factor.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

No, he wasn't, but Browns fans act like these coaches forgot football or something.

It's just crazy how all these guys were identified as "up and comers" or whatever and many go on to have success elsewhere after they leave, but when the ALL fail HERE it's THEM, as if the way the team has done business by having zero continuity or stability isn't even in the realm of possibility as a factor.

truth 

10 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I'm certain that we win somewhere between 0-2 games this year.

I'm certain that Jimmy will fire Hue b/c of that record....

I'm even more certain that it will be the wrong decision.

Hue Jackson like every single HC has his flaws, but when Hue gets fired I firmly believe that we would have never had the opportunity to see what Hue could've done as a leader. Some HC are alignment leaders, culture drivers, and master motivators that delegate playcalling and most decisions like a  Urban Meyer or Jim Tressel type.

Hue always had the reputation as not just a master play caller and developer but a special leader able to drive winning culture. His deficiency's as a game manager are in the front of everyone's mind b/c he never had the chance to have the talent to develop a winning culture.

Andy Reid is one of the worst game managers of all time. He has no idea how to manage timeouts or situational football, but he is elite in driving organizational alignment, delegating appropriately, and create a winning culture.

For a winning culture to take root, the people/players have to see proof positive that the plan is working...they have to see the results of the plan...positive results after hearing a coach give his speeches and game plans.

When you tear down a team to the studs you take away the magical ability of a win to wash away all the coaching errors, off the field issues, player in game mistakes, etc...

All that is left is the coldness of the loss with all the mistakes naked and exposed for perpetual incessant criticisms.

I'll go down believing that Hue made his fair share of mistakes (4th down calls, time management, overaggressive play calling despite a serious talent deficiency), but I also know that he (and Al Saunders, Clyde Simmons, Bob Wylie, etc) never got the chance to really work with players for which they could elevate their talent toward sustained winning.

No one can argue that Hue has not made bad play calls or decisions, but the vast majority of the time those decisions were not what prevented us from winning, but instead the talent deficiency, youth, and experience did.

We should keep Hue and the FO and give them one more draft, FA, and year to see if we can get to 5+ wins....

There's zero chance in my mind in regards to that being a possibility...

Hue's deficiencies as a HC and OC aren't about game day managing.... they're about evaluation and strategy. For a rebuilding team with an inexperienced FO, you can't win with a guy that can't discern talent. If you can't recognize talent or come up with a offensive identity or plan.....what good are you?

That narrative that the team was completely wiped clean so you can't judge Hue accurately is false.

The primary losses were to the OL in Mack and Schwartz. One season removed the OL is still a strength. And last year's OL was not even as bad as it appeared. Inexperience and ineptness at the QB spot created a lot of those sacks.

And it's Hue's input on evaluations that contributed to the talent deficit. He doesn't get a pass for losing with the guys he wanted.

I agree that winning was uphill from the start with what was inherited. But that doesn't excuse the mismanagement of back to back rookie QBs and the terrible scheme strategies.

I think if you give Hue an experienced,  talented QB, and a couple legit weapons, he can run a solid offense. But the Browns don't have that. And it would be really unwise to hand another rookie QB over to this guy.

8 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

From the list you gave us... I'll stick with Hue. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Good thing there's a 0% chance any of those names listed even get an interview.

Hue was not on anybody's radar in 2015. At least not on this board.

11 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Good thing there's a 0% chance any of those names listed even get an interview.

Hue was not on anybody's radar in 2015. At least not on this board.

Hue jackson had an 8-8 record as a HC with the Oakland raiders and more success as an offensive assistant coaches at 2 franchises.  stop rewriting history.  

Archived