Post Game Thoughts- Chargers.

cconocool

Better play calling by Kubiak. It still isn't perfect, but it shows how much better the Vikings play when they use the pass to open up the run.

I am fine letting Kirk Cousins run out his contract, but I still want somebody else after that. He is so terrible at improvising and although he took more risks in this game, I am still unsatisfied.

Thielen is losing a step, but still a great route runner. We need to target Jefferson more often.

Like I said last week, we need to let go of players who cannot stay on the field. It sucks, but that is why every team avoided Clowney. It is simply modern numbers game.

Cook was decent, but nothing spectacular.

We really missed Irv Smith. Conklin is doing great, that just shows how important TEs are in the modern game, where the defensive needs to prepare for both run and pass.

For all the assets Zimmer has attributed to CB, the best we got right now is Dantlzer. Dantzler is fine, but it is a bit of a joke considering how much FA money/draft picks we spent there. Cannot blame Zimmer for bad luck.

Kendricks is the best middle linebacker I have seen for the Vikings.

Fans begged for more downfield passing and that's what it looks like.  If Jefferson is getting one on one coverage maybe just get ready to throw to him.

Some creative play calling like Brandel out running a pick play was refreshing.

Would still like to get Kene a couple designed touches

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cconocool said:

Other misc thoughts. 

We have had the Chargers number these last few years, so I was anticipating a win.

The Chargers deserve better than LA. There were so many purple jerseys there. Minnesota fans travel pretty well, but that was absurd. 

I was there. At least 40% Vikings fans. That said, of Herbert keeps developing, a lot of people are going to come around. He's the real deal. 

5 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

This proves to me Klint should have been fired a long time ago. It was gross negligence and incompetence to not get Jefferson the ball more. Good things happen when he gets the ball, and it was wasn't a secret to anyone but Klint.

Aaah, lest you forget the Randy Ratio.    JJ is pure talent, no doubt.   But if he drops one or misses a couple of those highlight reel grabs, like he did the past couple weeks, its going to be Cousins' fault.   The QB gets the ball to the guy . . . Some games, a Jalen Ramsey or Peanut Tillman, shut a WR down . . . Remember Rhodes Closed?   Jefferson does great most times, like today.    Yes, keep getting him the ball, but don't be stupid about it.

Happy to see Patrick Jones in there despite the penalty. Think the defense looked strong in the second half. Offense looked OK though I still want more latitude for Kirk to audible out of crappy plays. 

best 4/5 team I’ve seen, but we still need to prove it. Frustrating, but still very competitive with the supposed elite of the NFL. 

1 hour ago, HitStickAllDay said:

Happy to see Patrick Jones in there despite the penalty. Think the defense looked strong in the second half. Offense looked OK though I still want more latitude for Kirk to audible out of crappy plays. 

best 4/5 team I’ve seen, but we still need to prove it. Frustrating, but still very competitive with the supposed elite of the NFL. 

Got the Packers in a week. Their record indicates they are one of the top tier teams, so will see how they can hang with them. Rodgers looked pretty bad. Beat the Packers, suddenly MN is .500 in a wide open wild card race with the 49ers, Lions, Steelers and Bears coming up, all games we should win.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Got the Packers in a week. Their record indicates they are one of the top tier teams, so will see how they can hang with them. Rodgers looked pretty bad. Beat the Packers, suddenly MN is .500 in a wide open wild card race with the 49ers, Lions, Steelers and Bears coming up, all games we should win.

I’m hoping for a win against GB, division games are always weird. But GB is a damn good team, so no shame in losing. But the team absolutely needs to go on a 4 game run after next week. Winning 5 of 6 would put them at 8-6 heading into the final three games, and probably in control of a wild card spot. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m hoping for a win against GB, division games are always weird. But GB is a damn good team, so no shame in losing. But the team absolutely needs to go on a 4 game run after next week. Winning 5 of 6 would put them at 8-6 heading into the final three games, and probably in control of a wild card spot. 

Disappointing to think what could have been if this team had maybe 2 more wins, AZ and Baltimore being two games where they were so close to pulling out wins. Hopefully they learned something and start putting teams away. No reason they shouldn’t win 4 of the next 5.