Is the NFL "unfair" for Running Backs?

43M

16 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I know that post was a joke - but its true though

I'll take it a step farther - don't let them play football at all

If you have an uber athletic child, get them into basketball or baseball. They'll probably get paid more and have less damage on their bodies. Especially basketball. More players over the $40M AAV and is very marketable

(edit): and contracts are guaranteed

There are some absolute TRASH NBA players making $5M+ and mediocre players earning $20M - and they don't have to worry about becoming a cut casualty because the team figures out they aren't worth the money and are better off getting out of the contract

Yeah, Nick Chubb, Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey arent making an NBA roster. 

Mccaffery could probably have been a reciever, damr with saquon, Chubb is a runningback or nothing. Chubb does a good job of avoiding contact. Both knee injuries have been unlucky. To me hunt is more of a power back, and power backs are the ones who have the shortest life spans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Yeah, Nick Chubb, Saquon Barkley, Christian McCaffrey arent making an NBA roster. 

Baseball, on the other hand...

EDIT: Baseball is a sport where technique can trump athleticism, but I am operating off an assumption that certain athletic skill can translate. Do I think Christian McCaffrey could be a SP for the Atlanta Braves? No, but I think his athletic prowess could be utilized as an OF or 2B/SS type. There is a LOT to learn at the plate with a bat, but assuming it's something he got to work on from childhood up - I could see him performing well.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ET80 said:

EDIT: Baseball is a sport where technique can trump athleticism, but I am operating off an assumption that certain athletic skill can translate. Do I think Christian McCaffrey could be a SP for the Atlanta Braves? No, but I think his athletic prowess could be utilized as an OF or 2B/SS type. There is a LOT to learn at the plate with a bat, but assuming it's something he got to work on from childhood up - I could see him performing well.

yeah, this is my point as well

Obviously a guy who trained for 10-15 years in a very specific role is going to be unable to perform a very different role.. But if you get those guys at the START of their athletic growth? Elite athletes will be elite athletes, the difference is where they put their 10,000 hours in developing those skills

And yeah, you can't make a 6'0" guy into a 6'10" guy for the basketball example.. But Muggsy Bogues was 5'3", Nate Robinson was 5'9", CP3 and AI were 6'0", and currently the AVERAGE point guard is 6'2". It's not impossible for them to have become elite basketball players, or baseball players

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I know some of what you said.

• Like 1

I hope none of you have an uber athletic child,, and make the decision on what they play for them.

I don't think I'd call it unfair,    it just comes with the job description.     The guys who do everything for their offense, typically get paid well regardless of workload during their rookie contract.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I hope none of you have an uber athletic child,, and make the decision on what they play for them.

I don't think I'd call it unfair,    it just comes with the job description.     The guys who do everything for their offense, typically get paid well regardless of workload during their rookie contract.

Yeah. It's a good idea in practice, but asking a 6 year old to think about their financial future 20 years later when there's a fraction of a percent chance to ever make the NFL is a little weird. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Yeah. It's a good idea in practice, but asking a 6 year old to think about their financial future 20 years later when there's a fraction of a percent chance to ever make the NFL is a little weird. 

As a parent - part of it has nothing to do with financial impact, and most of it has to do with health and well being. The likelihood of getting a concussion? Much lower in baseball/basketball than in football. Likelihood of breaking bones, tearing ligaments? Much lower in baseball/basketball than in football. 

Simply stated: Football is a significantly dangerous sport, where it's expected to put your body in harms' way for the greater good of the team (look at various reactions in the "Dude Teddy" thread if you need a refresher on our general expectations of football players - regardless of position).

If my kids wanted to play football, I wouldn't stop them, but I'd encourage them to look into other sports before making that decision. I'd also show 'em the scars on my kness from my knee surgeries - I didn't blow these knees out playing baseball, y'know. I'd also show em the regime of pills I'm on to mitigate against the pain and soreness in my knees (knee pain just sorta happens in your 40s... but two torn ACLs, two torn meniscus, a ruptured patella tendon and a microfracture procedure sure as hell needs a few Aleve to get through the day, regardless of age...)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I wouldn't really say it is unfair. It is a salary cap league and you need to best utilize your resources. Running backs have proven to be a poor waste of cap space and generally premium draft capital. That reflects the compensation. 

Its fair from the standpoint of how valuable RBs are in todays league...I agree.

Its massively unfair to the individual players, who are getting run into the ground and sacrificing their bodies early in their career, and then being tossed away before getting compensated like players at pretty much every other position would.

37 minutes ago, ET80 said:

As a parent - part of it has nothing to do with financial impact, and most of it has to do with health and well being. The likelihood of getting a concussion? Much lower in baseball/basketball than in football. Likelihood of breaking bones, tearing ligaments? Much lower in baseball/basketball than in football. 

Simply stated: Football is a significantly dangerous sport, where it's expected to put your body in harms' way for the greater good of the team (look at various reactions in the "Dude Teddy" thread if you need a refresher on our general expectations of football players - regardless of position).

If my kids wanted to play football, I wouldn't stop them, but I'd encourage them to look into other sports before making that decision. I'd also show 'em the scars on my kness from my knee surgeries - I didn't blow these knees out playing baseball, y'know. I'd also show em the regime of pills I'm on to mitigate against the pain and soreness in my knees (knee pain just sorta happens in your 40s... but two torn ACLs, two torn meniscus, a ruptured patella tendon and a microfracture procedure sure as hell needs a few Aleve to get through the day, regardless of age...)

I'm a parent too, so I get the danger aspects. A lot of people in this thread specifically were talking about money for a reason to choose another sport or another position in football. Which is insane to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

I'm a parent too, so I get the danger aspects. A lot of people in this thread specifically were talking about money for a reason to choose another sport or another position in football. Which is insane to me.

Yeah, I get where I sort of led to that tangent as well, I should have clarified - my priority is health and safety, which is why football is the lowest of the team sports I'd recommend to my kids.

Basketball, baseball/softball, volleyball, soccer - then maybe football, that's how I'd do it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah, I get where I sort of led to that tangent as well, I should have clarified - my priority is health and safety, which is why football is the lowest of the team sports I'd recommend to my kids.

Basketball, baseball/softball, volleyball, soccer - then maybe football, that's how I'd do it.

Yeah, and that should be the priority.

My kids are young but I do not look forward to the early days of kid pitch baseball. Would almost discourage that just for my own sanity in having to watch 2 hours of walks. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Trojan said:

Mamas don't let your 5 star recruits become runningbacks
Don't let them pick RB and be run to the ground
Let them be Corners and Safeties and such
Mama's dont let your babies grow up to be runningbacks
'Cause they'll never get paid and they're back home before 28

Just wanna say...top-notch post, true through and through.

2 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

I think Andre Agassi's dad said something along the lines of him regretting not getting Andre to play baseball instead of tennis... Because he could have made more money. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

Agree with this

There are ages where the parents make the decision for the kids.. And then there comes an age where the kid then makes decisions for themselves. What age that dynamic flips will be different for each family

But for me, tennis and soccer will/would be the early sports under 6. Both are highly transferable sports and reasonable for kids to learn at a young age - plus ones that I like to play and would love to share with them

Eventually the kid would have to decide for themselves, but to your point, any steering involved will be towards a less violent sport and (this is going to be controversial), a more refined and less barbaric one

Edited by Tk3
  • Like 1