Week 11: Miami at NY Jets

KimuraGod

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

And then whos tackling at the 2nd level? Dallas can do that bc they have Vander Esch and Neal to tackle at that next level when they do send Parsons. We don't have other good players to tackle after Mosley in the 2nd level right now.

You mean 8 yards down field…yeah Quincy Williams at least had 2 TFL yesterday. Mosley isn’t meant to play this scheme. We really need to get out of his contract. It’s beyond horrible at this point. 

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Thibodeaux/Hutchinson plus healthy Lawson and Huff would definitely change how this defense looks.  As long as two LBers are added in FA and high in the draft, we could see a SF turnaround like when they drafted Bosa.

Linebacker play is typically fine when the DL is doing their job. Same with the DBs. 

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

As long as two LBers are added in FA and high in the draft

I’m with you on that but do really believe Saleh will pull the plug so quickly on the Nas/Sherwood experiment?  Mosley and Quincy will still be here. As much as I want to see an upgrade there, I can’t believe Saleh/JD will invest much at LB. I also think LB play will appear much improved with a PR and better S play. 

3 hours ago, xrade said:

I’m with you on that but do really believe Saleh will pull the plug so quickly on the Nas/Sherwood experiment?  Mosley and Quincy will still be here. As much as I want to see an upgrade there, I can’t believe Saleh/JD will invest much at LB. I also think LB play will appear much improved with a PR and better S play. 

Mosley and Quincy aren't long term.  Need depth (FA doesn't have to be a starter).  Really need an actual LB for this defense where two rookie Safeties and Mosley, who had to drop a bunch of weight, aren't the best fits ATM.  2nd round LB who is talented and either starts right away or takes over when Mosley leaves.  Still have no idea if Sherwood or Nas will hack it.

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

Well, the three to four weeks Becton, was going to be out is now 14 weeks, this guy came into camp in horrible shape. He is well on his way to be another high draft picks who will end up being another bust.

Not ready to give up on him yet… but yes his health and weight is an issue. This is a huge problem when you take guys at their respective positions bc of “flair” and “highlights” rather than actually being just great at what you do. Becton was only drafted ahead of Wirfs bc of his size and mauler highlight blocks. But Wirfs on game film was a better player. And it shows in the nfl. Best example I could give (oddly same college)… is when we drafted Calvin Pryor. Dude had some highlight reel hits and was fun to watch. But in a down to down basis… he wasn’t a good player. Some people get so caught up on highlights. Watch actual game film and see how they are for a whole game. Not just to 2-3 highlight plays.

Not sure how many if you went through a recruitment process… but you send highlights to a college… they laugh at you. They want full game film. They want to see if you take plays off. Hustle the whole game. What you do in certain situations. Any highlight film can make a starter look good. Bc if you start for 2-3 years, you’re bound to have at least 10 great plus over that time. But that doesn’t mean the player is great.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Not ready to give up on him yet… but yes his health and weight is an issue. This is a huge problem when you take guys at their respective positions bc of “flair” and “highlights” rather than actually being just great at what you do. Becton was only drafted ahead of Wirfs bc of his size and mauler highlight blocks. But Wirfs on game film was a better player. And it shows in the nfl. Best example I could give (oddly same college)… is when we drafted Calvin Pryor. Dude had some highlight reel hits and was fun to watch. But in a down to down basis… he wasn’t a good player. Some people get so caught up on highlights. Watch actual game film and see how they are for a whole game. Not just to 2-3 highlight plays.

Not sure how many if you went through a recruitment process… but you send highlights to a college… they laugh at you. They want full game film. They want to see if you take plays off. Hustle the whole game. What you do in certain situations. Any highlight film can make a starter look good. Bc if you start for 2-3 years, you’re bound to have at least 10 great plus over that time. But that doesn’t mean the player is great.

To be fair, Becton brings it when he is actually on the field.  What the scouts really need to figure out is the player's mindset and work ethic.  I wanted no part of Becton because of potential issues like this.  I thought he proved me wrong year 1 and I fell for the hype.  Now he is showing me he doesn't give a crap or take care of himself.  I think he's posted more about COD than football/training/rehab.  I don't care how good you are when you are on the field your best ability is availability.  Take care of yourself and take football seriously man.

Just now, jetsfan4life51 said:

To be fair, Becton brings it when he is actually on the field.  What the scouts really need to figure out is the player's mindset and work ethic.  I wanted no part of Becton because of potential issues like this.  I thought he proved me wrong year 1 and I fell for the hype.  Now he is showing me he doesn't give a crap or take care of himself.  I think he's posted more about COD than football/training/rehab.  I don't care how good you are when you are on the field your best ability is availability.  Take care of yourself and take football seriously man.

I could not remember who the people on this board who wanted no part of drafting Becton, but yes there were at least three or four who wanted no part of drafting Becton. There are times that I am really amazed how much knowledge some of the people on this board have on perspective on college players before the draft, I am good for one or two players that is about it.  My one pick I wanted with a Passion was Devin Cook because I saw all his games at Florida St. I believe more from what guys say on this board than what I hear on ESPN.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

I could not remember who the people on this board who wanted no part of drafting Becton, but yes there were at least three or four who wanted no part of drafting Becton. There are times that I am really amazed how much knowledge some of the people on this board have on perspective on college players before the draft, I am good for one or two players that is about it.  My one pick I wanted with a Passion was Devin Cook because I saw all his games at Florida St. I believe more from what guys say on this board than what I hear on ESPN.

I was one of few posters that didn't want 360 lb OL in 1st round because you can't escape from injury once you sustained injury.   A lot of 350+ OL have NFL career but not all of them were taken in 1st. That is what I have kept in my draft philosophy.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Getting a lot of players back for this one. But Fant will be out. I’d assume Edoga will start… who’s barely even been able to practice with the team. So I expect that to be a big weakness today.

Against aggressive defense?  ouch!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya gonna have to keep Knox in on his side if I was OC to help out. Still needs to be the Carter and Crowder show for us to even be competitive in this one.

Knox?   Connor McDermott should start in place since he is currently number 2 backup OT.