2021 GDT Week #12 Steelers Vs. Bengals

Steeler Hitman

2020-steelers-vs-bengals.jpg

Steelers 5-4-1 visit the Bengals 6-4

Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 1:00 PM Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, Ohio

865166026-cincinnati-bengals-v-pittsburg

Steelers lead the series 67-37-0, but the Bengals have very confidently won the last two and are favored to make it three in a row.

Tyler-Boyd-Dynasty-Fantasy-Football.jpg

Tyler Boyd, "Steelers gave up at the end. You could see it!"

Screen-Shot-2019-09-25-at-1.03.52-PM.png

"I don’t care about Tyler Boyd’s opinion about what transpired at any point in that game.” Mike Tomlin, asked about Boyd claiming the Steelers quit at the end of their loss Sunday. “He’s entitled to his opinion, but I don’t have to respond to it."

hitman-615.jpg?fit=615,312&ssl=1

Not with words Coach T. But the team better be ready to respond by their play or the Steelers will be left for dead in the bottom of the AFC North with another loss and brutal schedule ahead.

Next-Man-Up.png

A great quote and mindset, but a hard reality in the NFL. The talent gap between stars and back-ups is wider that the Grand Canyon.

tj-watt-and-minkah-fitzpatrick-breakdown

With all of the injuries and lack of cohesion in play, the Steelers have a very small margin of error against any good team. Any mistake ends up like a punch in the gut.

Cam-Heyward-punch-Justin-Herbert.png

"Nothing personal buddy. Mad at the DC and HC for not adjusting and putting a spy on you!"

Matt-Canada-1-1024x576.jpg

Doesn't take much analysis and study to pound the rock inside of the five yard line with four shots!

It is a tough job being the Steelers OC. Put up 37 points and lose. Fans are mad because you probably should have probably put up 51 points. That Jet sweep thing inside the five yard line, you probably don't want to do that again!

making-predictions-clipart-1.jpg?resize=

This team will frustrate the heck out of me at several points during the game. 😁

Despite  the lopsided loss to the Bengals early in the season, the Steelers did some things well and others very poorly. Penalties, inconsistent pass blocking, and turnovers doomed the Steelers even more that the Bengals just outplayed or out-classed them as in last years Bengals win. What Steelers team shows up? The Bengals are good. Will the Steelers have enough healthy bodies to compete? 

r940929_1296x729_16-9-1024x576.jpg

Jet sweeps to Claypool aside, I am going on a limb and saying the Steelers upset the Bengals 27-23 on a late Big Ben TD pass to Chase Claypool. The running of Najee Harris will set the tone and the OL does not have as many penalties in the run game. Not bad for a bunch of quitters!  

mike-hilton-103121-getty-ftr_12vsio754wi

Yeah it stinks Mike. Still love you though man!

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Type-o
  • Like 1

I really need Matt Canada to talk to Steve Sarkesian about being an NFL coordinator in the redzone. They both failed inside the 20 too often trying to win conceptually on things that dont move the needle. 

It's the NFL. Go to your best guys. If you wanna throw, find Diontea Johnson, the only guy we can trust to win in space...not be forced into combat catch scenarios. If you wanna run, go big and pound it. 

Don't get cute in the redzone. Our best year in 2018 AB scored like 10 redzone TD's and Connor had a field day behind our oline. Just be simple. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I really need Matt Canada to talk to Steve Sarkesian about being an NFL coordinator in the redzone. They both failed inside the 20 too often trying to win conceptually on things that dont move the needle. 

It's the NFL. Go to your best guys. If you wanna throw, find Diontea Johnson, the only guy we can trust to win in space...not be forced into combat catch scenarios. If you wanna run, go big and pound it. 

Don't get cute in the redzone. Our best year in 2018 AB scored like 10 redzone TD's and Connor had a field day behind our oline. Just be simple. 

Yeah, I agree 100%. Muth is big and physical, but he’s not a fantastic route runner yet. Even in his prime, he’ll most likely be nothing more than an average route runner. That’s no knock on him. I think he’s a beast. Chase isn’t a great combat catcher, nor is he a great route runner. Washington isn’t good in the RZ(maybe it’s lack of chances?). Ebron is at best a seem stretcher. It’s really only Diontae and Najee. I do find it interesting that we ran in that TD when we put Banner in as the extra blocker. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Yeah, I agree 100%. Muth is big and physical, but he’s not a fantastic route runner yet. Even in his prime, he’ll most likely be nothing more than an average route runner. That’s no knock on him. I think he’s a beast. Chase isn’t a great combat catcher, nor is he a great route runner. Washington isn’t good in the RZ(maybe it’s lack of chances?). Ebron is at best a seem stretcher. It’s really only Diontae and Najee. I do find it interesting that we ran in that TD when we put Banner in as the extra blocker. 

Noticed the same thing on Banner. I just think they need to go bare bones. The jets and the lateral option tosses to the TEs short of the sticks don’t work (for us anyway). Go back to the AB playbook and try to isolate DJ and let your best guy try to win. Powered it forward with Najee. 

I think everyone here knows my love of Pat, but combat catch shouldn’t be your first look. And just by watching Bens head at the snap last night DJ never seems to be the first look. I just don’t get it. 

And for the love of sweet little lord baby Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt; never throw short of the goal to go on a 4th down. And it was the actual design of the play! I almost lost my mind….

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I do find it interesting that we ran in that TD when we put Banner in as the extra blocker. 

Too much overthinking and overanalyzing.  Najee + blocking = Touchdown 

I think they are putting too much on Dan Moore. Change his role up. Dude struggles mightily at times and you are asking way too much from a fourth round rookie LT. Think long term and move Chuks to LT. Get your road grader in at RT Banner and get he an Turner working together. Use Moore in the role that you are easing Banner back into playing shape with. If Banner is truly healthy get him out there regularly aka starting at RT. 

17 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

And for the love of sweet little lord baby Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt; never throw short of the goal to go on a 4th down. And it was the actual design of the play! I almost lost my mind….

We have seen that far too much. This throw underneath stuff and pray that the receiver can break five or six tackle is crazy. Scratch that, It's insanity! Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a better result.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't mind the jets and lateral stuff, just not condensed in the RZ. That stuff works better when there's space. It seems like in the RZ it just muddles stuff up. I also don't love pulling linemen in the RZ, unless it's prime Decastro. 

I have never been a fan of pulling on short yardage or goal line situations (even with a great pulling OG like DeCastro in his prime). Pulling only welcomes penetration from the defense. That is the last thing you want in that situation. Too many bodies in a short space with limited spaces (less field to cover) to go. 

Like the jets and lateral stuff, you have to pick the right times to do them.

I.E. first or second down (outside the red zone), not third or fourth down and long. 

Situational play-calling is horrible at times.

• Like 1

Last week, I predicted a blow-out loss. If not for late game heroics by the D and ST, it would have been a blowout. This week is the Bengals, and they have beaten the Steelers two straight games going back to last year's beat down at the hands of Ryan Finley and Giovani Bernard, and earlier this season with Burrow and Mixon doing the honors. The Steelers "can" win this game, but they must have a complete effort to do so.

Ben has been protecting the ball lately, so that should help. Plus the D seems to be getting back several starters who sat for the Chargers game. The D has to pressure Burrow early and often, and the O needs to produce more than three and outs to start the game in order to set the tone.

Last year, the Bengals D blasted JuJu for his TikTok nonsense. Will the Steelers D have something for Boyd? I hope so.

I see a 3 point game here, but I'm not sure if the Steelers have enough to pull this out.

• Like 1

The score from the first game looks way worse than the game itself. They beat us, but we really played poorly. 

- No TJ or Highsmith; both playing at a high level right now
- Ben threw god awful pick #1 on a short field after we got a turnover, lead to a Bengals short field TD
- Pierre makes a young dude mistake before half and gives up a TD instead of probably 3
- Ben threw god awful pick #2, which lead to a short field TD (19 yards). 
- Boz missed a field goal. Read that one again. Yeah, that kinda game.
- First and goal from the 3 on an 88 yard drive ends with a field goal after 2 penalties
- 12 play 73 yard drive ends with 0 points as Ben throws short of the sticks on 4th
- Ben on 4th and 2 once again throws short of the sticks incomplete

No sacks and no hurries against Joe Burrow and those receivers. Lotta foot shooting. Two really, really bad turnovers. 

Oh, and Tyler Boyd called out the Steelers for giving up. 

Yeah, Steelers by a zillion with their backs against the wall. 

Just kidding, but I do think this game is winnable and will be close. 

• Like 2

On 11/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, Steeler Hitman said:

Yeah it stinks Mike. Still love you though man!

I forgot that Mike also said or posted something similar to Boyd. Maybe Ben and the offense respond? I am not a fan of needing bulletin board material, but it has certainly been used against us enough. It would be nice to see the tables turned. I have long waited to see this team play a complete game. Maybe this is it. They will need it to win. The margin for error is razor thin like last week. 

Edited by Steeler Hitman