Trey Lances devolopment (it failed)

49erurtaza

20 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

-The Athletic

I never heard of this until now

I haven't read the article, but if it's just one play, it doesn't really mean much to me. Like how people always say that Kaep couldn't read the field and then show that single clip against the Rams. Brainfarts happen. Now, if it's a recurring thing where he's not remembering the formations and plays and whatnot, that's a bad sign for someone who was loved by predraft evaluators in part because of how quickly he understood and remembered everything. 

• Like 1

Niners nation did a whole like 90 minutes podcast on trying to figure when the niners and shanny fell out of love with Lance lol. 

Went through transcripts over the last two years and everything. Pulled old media quotes, went through various happenings, etc. 

The offseason is a boring time lol

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Niners nation did a whole like 90 minutes podcast on trying to figure when the niners and shanny fell out of love with Lance lol. 

Went through transcripts over the last two years and everything. Pulled old media quotes, went through various happenings, etc. 

Sounds to me like the epitome of trying too hard. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Forge said:

Wtf lol what a waste of time. 

Marco Martinez had the creator the S2 cognitive test on his show and the guy confirmed that Trey scored elite on the S2 cognitive test and was closer to Brock in his score than he was the cut off what is considered to be elite (which I believe is the 80th percentile). 

But that is not the way it was presented in the article in my opinion. 

Which leads me back to what, boys and girls? 

Bad vibes. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Marco Martinez had the creator the S2 cognitive test on his show and the guy confirmed that Trey scored elite on the S2 cognitive test and was closer to Brock in his score than he was the cut off what is considered to be elite (which I believe is the 80th percentile). 

Bad vibes. 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7och1dc7tghdwndco6a

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Bad vibes. 

• Like 4

That is a funny clip but sometimes when someone touches the top of their head like that it means they are searching for answers or that they don't know what to say. 

Lynch keeps getting asked the same questions over and over. Neither QB is 100% healthy right now. He probably doesn't know what is going to happen and really just doesn't have an update either way since the last time he spoke publicly (which was like last week iirc). 

They didn't ask him about his relationship with Lance, pretty sure they asked him how Lance is doing. Lynch probably legitimately does not know since he's knee deep in GM duties and not focusing on Trey's rehab. 

Again - funny clip, but there are people out there who will legitimately use this as evidence lynch doesn't want Lance to start or something, which is absurd. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/19/vikings-49ers-talked-trey-lance-at-the-scouting-combine/amp/

Per a league source, the two teams talked about Trey Lance.

The source doesn’t know whether that’s currently happening. The Vikings have since restructured the Cousins contract. They’d take a significant cap hit ($38 million) if the Vikings trade Cousins before June 1.

But the Vikings need an answer for 2024, and beyond. It’s unclear whether they truly think Lance could be the answer.

16 minutes ago, adamq said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/19/vikings-49ers-talked-trey-lance-at-the-scouting-combine/amp/

Per a league source, the two teams talked about Trey Lance.

The source doesn’t know whether that’s currently happening. The Vikings have since restructured the Cousins contract. They’d take a significant cap hit ($38 million) if the Vikings trade Cousins before June 1.

But the Vikings need an answer for 2024, and beyond. It’s unclear whether they truly think Lance could be the answer.

What?! Now that is unexpected--perhaps I am the only one? Did not occur to me that the Vikes might look at Lance to replace Cousins...

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Am I missing something? That seems like a positive article from the little bit I could read of it. 

I think that he is just referring to the completely whiff of understanding on just how much mechanical work Lance would need just to operate physically comfortably. You'd think that they'd have experts on that front and could at the very least then have waited to either take Lance where they were given that he was more of a risk or try some other rookie qb rather than betting the farm on a guy with that much work to do. Lance does seem like he has the character to make it work, even if I doubt that it is for us.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I think that he is just referring to the completely whiff of understanding on just how much mechanical work Lance would need just to operate physically comfortably. You'd think that they'd have experts on that front and could at the very least then have waited to either take Lance where they were given that he was more of a risk or try some other rookie qb rather than betting the farm on a guy with that much work to do. Lance does seem like he has the character to make it work, even if I doubt that it is for us.

Yeah for sure. If you recall I was very much pushing for us to draft Fields as I loved his arm talent; I even put some money on us taking him. 

I do feel like it's too soon to call Lance a bust though. Obviously this could be complete BS, but it sounded like his finger injury he suffered as a rookie was still hampering him going into last season and is finally back to where it should be. It also seems that the 'Lance playing only one game in a monsoon' crowd has completely disappeared and now people are just super down on him. 

I definitely understand that generally speaking that 'where there is smoke, there is fire', but I'm not ready to give up on Lance quite yet myself. I think he can turn things around if he can stay healthy. 

I will also openly admit that I have some serious FOMO with Lance. I would be very upset if we gave him away and he turned into what everyone was hoping he would be when we traded the farm to get him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers, Jalen Hurts etc all had to make tweaks to their mechanics after entering the league. The issue was the finger injury that made him change his throwing form and things never got better from there. But still, all the talks of the mechanics and changing the base, he was still able to make a lot of high level throws. All that stuff sometimes gets overstated. What Lance needed to do was improve his accuracy in the short area. The gimmie throws was something he needed to hit on just like every other QB does in this system. Lance was still making second level throws throughout camp and even in week 1 in the monsoon. 

Next week we get more answers during OTAs.