Week 14: Steelers (6-5-1) at VIKINGS (5-7)

swede700

Woods would have caught that if Breeland hadn't tried for it.  By a miracle, after several bad plays, The Vikings end up winning.  But, they had worked hard to lose this game.  I'd fire Zimmer tomorrow, if I were The Wilfs.  I know Patterson probably won't be able to do any better.  But it would send a message to the players that things will get better soon.  And maybe just feeling better about the team, and changing the offensive play caller, will be enough to win one extra game, which might get them into The Playoffs.  And, at least some players we'd want to keep next year, might not decide early to leave.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Nope. It was the defense. 

Why Zimmer continues to play so soft defensively with the lead is infuriating. Watching Kendricks and Smith get after Big Ben early on was exciting and effective. Seems we again failed to play with a winning mentality with the lead.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ArcticNorseman said:

No, not really.   Cousins had more inaccurate throws than they had drops.    We've been spoiled by JJs theatrics . . . He missed some tough ones.

You expect great players to make great plays. JJ was off tonight and missed some catches you expect a receiver of his caliber to haul in, of which two were touchdowns and one was a crucial 3rd down. 

On the flip side, Pittsburgh’s receivers were hauling in just about every contested catch. Defenders couldn’t even prevent catches with interference. 

That was a huge difference that allowed Pittsburgh to get back in the game, and kept the Vikings from putting the game away. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

If Thielen and Darrisaw return and we lose to the hapless Bears, I don't see how you retain Zimmer next year.

At this point, I don’t know how you retain Zimmer if he misses the playoffs. Losing to the Lions and Cowboys (with a backup QB at home) should have consequences for a coach like Zimmer who’s been here around long enough to have created a winning culture. Realistically, if some games go in MNs favor the next couple of weeks and Mn can take care of Chicago and LA, they are going to be looked at as favorites again for the 7th seed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

The Vikings really miss Jerry Gray. I am not sure what he does in his passing game coordinator role nowadays, but he could have coordinated something in the second half better than what the Vikings showed. But mostly, the Vikings CBs have been garbage after he left.

This. And George Edwards. 

On 12/9/2021 at 11:38 PM, vikingsrule said:

At this point, I don’t know how you retain Zimmer if he misses the playoffs. Losing to the Lions and Cowboys (with a backup QB at home) should have consequences for a coach like Zimmer who’s been here around long enough to have created a winning culture. Realistically, if some games go in MNs favor the next couple of weeks and Mn can take care of Chicago and LA, they are going to be looked at as favorites again for the 7th seed.

I wouldn't even consider keeping Zimmer unless The Vikings get to The Super Bowl, and play a highly competitive game there.  The game has passed him by.  His methods are going to scare away The Vikings' best young players.  We need a coach that realises that the current rules favour passing, and who cares about fostering play on BOTH sides of the ball.