Browns attempted to trade for AJ McCarron, thwarted by NFL front office

pwny

Just now, iPwn said:

He said in a thread about a team missing the deadline and losing out on the QB they wanted.

Hue was upset by a perceived lack of effort or general flippancy by the Front Office in getting the deal done. This by a front office that has constructed a roster that sits at 1-23 under their guidance. They then went on to bungle the trade as they waited until the deadline to get it done and had something impact the trade.

That's not what the article I read said. The article I read said that Hue was peeved that they didn't try to acquire Garoppolo. None of us know why they chose not to do that.

As I've now said multiple times, the McCarron deal wasn't getting done last night. And if the Browns really were after Garoppolo, they would have been on the phones with New England to make the deal no matter the time. The fact that they weren't and left is a strong indicator that they weren't competing with SF. 

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

Well in fairness, I would have been mad too.  Maybe BB would have asked for more since he has a history with the Browns, and it's AFC, but I really think the Browns should have gone after him harder.  If they were willing to give up a 2nd and 3rd for AJ, they should be willing to give up a first for Jimmy G.  

And if Jimmy G sucks, well, it's not the first draft pick they've wasted.  And the upside is potential all-pro from the film we have of him.

That assumes their FO thought highly of Garoppolo. Their conduct does not reflect that. Or maybe they thought NE was bluffing because they didn't think any team would be dumb enough to trade near-first round value for a guy who hits FA in a few months.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah who knows. The price seems too high. Enjoy free agency AJ.

He's not aURFA at the end of the year.  he spent the first 11 weeks of his rookie season on NFI list, so he doesn't accrue a season for it.  he's a RFA, hence the higher value in the trade.

Just now, jrry32 said:

That assumes their FO thought highly of Garoppolo. Their conduct does not reflect that. Or maybe they thought NE was bluffing because they didn't think any team would be dumb enough to trade near-first round value for a guy who hits FA in a few months.

Well if they didn't think highly of him, that's just more incompetence on their part.  He may bust, but as of right now, he is worth a first.  And they also should have known BB was gonna get something for him.

And being 1-(23?) means that no one is gonna give you the benefit of the doubt.  And you're expected to do whatever it takes to start winning games.  If the objective is to tank anyway for picks, then why try to give a 2nd and a 3rd for AJ?

IMO, they're either completely incompetent and potentially lazy, or they bungled the trade on purpose as they plan on tanking the season and just wanted to make people think they were willing to give up a lot for even a mediocre QB.

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Well if they didn't think highly of him, that's just more incompetence on their part.  He may bust, but as of right now, he is worth a first.  And they also should have known BB was gonna get something for him.

And being 1-(23?) means that no one is gonna give you the benefit of the doubt.  And you're expected to do whatever it takes to start winning games.  If the objective is to tank anyway for picks, then why try to give a 2nd and a 3rd for AJ?

IMO, they're either completely incompetent and potentially lazy, or they bungled the trade on purpose as they plan on tanking the season and just wanted to make people think they were willing to give up a lot for even a mediocre QB.

That's entirely possible - the only issue is that bungling the trade on purpose still makes them look incompetent.  So it's really unnecessary, simply just tell everyone the price was too high.  No one would have faulted them from saying that.   Now, if CIN messed it up, then bad on them - they got away with trade murder, and let CLE off the hook.

Ironically, I suspect everyone will look back and realize how lucky CLE got, intentional or not, CIN fault or not.

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

That's a very dumb statement. If he busts, he wasn't worth a first, and they were right. You're not in a position to evaluate whether or not it's incompetence right now.

I'm also not sure why they should offer themselves up as a team because BB was going to find a sucker. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I don't really care if you give them the benefit of the doubt. Just stop choosing stupid things to criticize. If you want to criticize them for not getting the deal done on time, by all means, go for it. They deserve it. The rest of the stuff is just hindsight-manufactured garbage.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That's entirely possible - the only issue is that it makes them look incompetent.  So it's really unnecessary, simply just tell everyone the price was too high.  No one would have faulted them from saying that.  

I agree, they're dumb either way.  But no one has ever accused the Browns of being smart, and nothing they do would surprise me at this point.

12 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

And if the Browns really were after Garoppolo, they would have been on the phones with New England to make the deal no matter the time. The fact that they weren't and left is a strong indicator that they weren't competing with SF. 

In the interest of attempting to end the back and forth, you would then see how this behavior could be viewed as flippant or frustrating to a coach who may be still attempting to get that deal done, right? “We can’t compete, we’re going home” isn’t exactly a great message to send your coaching staff as you sit winless on the season after a 1-15 year the season prior.

Just now, iPwn said:

In the interest of attempting to end the back and forth, you would then see how this behavior could be viewed as flippant or frustrating to a coach who may be still attempting to get that deal done, right? “We can’t compete, we’re going home” isn’t exactly a great message to send your coaching staff as you sit winless on the season after a 1-15 year the season prior.

That is their job, though. They're the ones who have to tell Hue "no" when he wants to make a questionable move in a season where they're not going anywhere. Beat them up for screwing up the McCarron deal, but I'm not beating them up for not being in their offices all night waiting on a Garoppolo trade that they may not have wanted.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

That's a very dumb statement. If he busts, he wasn't worth a first, and they were right. You're not in a position to evaluate whether or not it's incompetence right now.

I'm also not sure why they should offer themselves up as a team because BB was going to find a sucker. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I don't really care if you give them the benefit of the doubt. Just stop choosing stupid things to criticize. If you want to criticize them for not getting the deal done on time, by all means, go for it. They deserve it. The rest of the stuff is just hindsight-manufactured garbage.

This front office has already passed on QBs that have been balling out.  If you want to trust their judgement in evaluating QBs, then go right ahead.  

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

This front office has already passed on QBs that have been balling out.  If you want to trust their judgement in evaluating QBs, then go right ahead.  

I think trading for Garoppolo at this point in the year is a desperation move, and I applaud them for not dong so.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I think trading for Garoppolo at this point in the year is a desperation move, and I applaud them for not dong so.

i wouldnt have been mad if the jags offered a 2nd and a conditional 4 that can go to a 3.  hes a bit more proven then these rookie qb class and seems to be atleast solid as a game manager.

Just now, jrry32 said:

They need a QB though, and they're probably gonna have to spend a first on one regardless.  I don't see a better option than Jimmy.

Just now, LinderFournette said:

i wouldnt have been mad if the jags offered a 2nd and a conditional 4 that can go to a 3.  hes a bit more proven then these rookie qb class and seems to be atleast solid as a game manager.

People have said the same thing about a bunch of other backup QBs traded. How often have those moves worked out?

Archived