Browns attempted to trade for AJ McCarron, thwarted by NFL front office

pwny

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Why would you even want to trade for AJ anyway? You're 0-8 and going to have first dibs of any QB in the upcoming draft. Has AJ done anything in the short opportunities he's had in the NFL to make anyone think that he can be the QB of the future down the road? 

Some people in the front office and coaching staff aren’t going to have jobs in a couple months if they continue to pile on losses. If this team finishes the season, and the cumulative record for the regime is 2-30 or something like that? I don’t know how one can justify keeping everyone around, regardless of how scorched earth the rebuild was to be. There’s no value in having the #1 overall pick if you aren’t around to use it. 

The Browns currently have 12 draft picks. Throwing a couple around to attempt to shake up things might have been the only thing that could have saved some of their jobs.

1 minute ago, iPwn said:

Some people in the front office and coaching staff aren’t going to have jobs in a couple months if they continue to pile on losses. If this team finishes the season, and the cumulative record for the regime is 2-30 or something like that? I don’t know how one can justify keeping everyone around, regardless of how scorched earth the rebuild was to be. There’s no value in having the #1 overall pick if you aren’t around to use it. 

The Browns currently have 12 draft picks. Throwing a couple around to attempt to shake up things might have been the only thing that could have saved some of their jobs.

True. I forgot about that.  I guess they're just trying to save their jobs at this point. Unless the Browns go on a miracle run starting now and finish 8-8 they're probably gone anyways. 

57 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Firing everyone after two years would be such a Jimmy Haslam thing to do.

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Firing everyone after two years would be such a Jimmy Haslam thing to do.

Language is dumb. Meant that someone will be fired if this continues, not necessary all people.

This right here whether or not the proposed 2nd and 3rd round picks were correct and even if many believe that to be an overpay and are suggesting Cleveland got lucky is still very much an embarrassment. This shouldn't have happened. 

Haslem seems like he would fire the front office. That is probably not the correct move right or wrong at least they are going for something and not just meandering around trying to turn a 3-13 team into a 6-10 to try and show basic improvement and team to save their jobs. 

Of course this had to happen on Halloween, with two orange-wearing teams somehow finding a way to mess this up.  

For the record, i refuse to believe that Mike Brown and his Harvard Law degree messed this up.  say what you want about his football acumen, but the man beat the IRS in federal court.  I doubt this little 4:00 deadline would got in his way.

I also find it humorous that the guys playing statistics in football might have forgot to check the numbers on the clock.

I think the QB trades are more about the draft being a crap shoot than a sure thing. 

I think Haslem would be stupid to fire anyone at this point.  The GM/FO has sold the moneyball idea and now it needs to be seen through.  Changing the coaching staff would be horrible as the scouts ( that really seem to suck now) would have to learn what the new staff wants in players.

Personally, I think the moneyball in Pro Football is stupid. They have collected a lot of draft picks for not picking Wentz or Watson ( or even Groff) but it does not seem to help.  I think it is demoralizing for the fans as now they cheer for loses and the number of draft picks they have.  I see the benefit of having more picks because the draft is a crap shoot but that tends to work with experienced FO.

33 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think the QB trades are more about the draft being a crap shoot than a sure thing. 

I think Haslem would be stupid to fire anyone at this point.  The GM/FO has sold the moneyball idea and now it needs to be seen through.  Changing the coaching staff would be horrible as the scouts ( that really seem to suck now) would have to learn what the new staff wants in players.

Personally, I think the moneyball in Pro Football is stupid. They have collected a lot of draft picks for not picking Wentz or Watson ( or even Groff) but it does not seem to help.  I think it is demoralizing for the fans as now they cheer for loses and the number of draft picks they have.  I see the benefit of having more picks because the draft is a crap shoot but that tends to work with experienced FO.

And if they draft their franchise guy in April they're set at QB (big it, I know).

My issue with crapping on the front office or even the coaching staff at this point is they (DePodesta, Sashi, etc) said this would be a long and sometimes painful process to implement what they want to do.  I personally took that as a 4-5 year plan, not unreasonable considering the complete lack of talent on the roster they inherited.

Now I get that every rebuild doesn't take that long, but the way they've gone about by by moving back for future picks repeatedly and shedding aging veterans it probably does. Give them the time you agreed upon when you hired them.  The fact that fans and the media have grown impatient with the plan doesn't mean the timeline has changed.  

Firing anyone now would be, IMO, nothing more than continued impatience and ineptitude from Haslam. His ready, fire, aim approach is the biggest reason they've been as bad as they have.

Reeling from the most public yet of their many humiliations, the Browns have blamed the failed trade for quarterback A.J. McCarron on the bunglings of the Bengals, telling Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the Bengals failed to send to the league the trade document signed by both teams, after the Browns had sent the signed paperwork to Cincinnati.

There’s one small problem with that excuse. That’s not how trades are communicated to the league. And every key member of every front office knows, or should know, the proper procedure.

Per multiple league sources, a trade becomes official only when both teams independently communicate the trade to the league office. It definitely doesn’t happen as the Browns claim they tried to do it, with chain of communication involving one team sending a form to the other team, which then signs the form and sends it to the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/31/browns-mccarron-excuse-doesnt-mesh-with-nfl-procedures/

2 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Reeling from the most public yet of their many humiliations, the Browns have blamed the failed trade for quarterback A.J. McCarron on the bunglings of the Bengals, telling Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the Bengals failed to send to the league the trade document signed by both teams, after the Browns had sent the signed paperwork to Cincinnati.

There’s one small problem with that excuse. That’s not how trades are communicated to the league. And every key member of every front office knows, or should know, the proper procedure.

Per multiple league sources, a trade becomes official only when both teams independently communicate the trade to the league office. It definitely doesn’t happen as the Browns claim they tried to do it, with chain of communication involving one team sending a form to the other team, which then signs the form and sends it to the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/31/browns-mccarron-excuse-doesnt-mesh-with-nfl-procedures/

xD

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

Of course this had to happen on Halloween, with two orange-wearing teams somehow finding a way to mess this up.  

For the record, i refuse to believe that Mike Brown and his Harvard Law degree messed this up.  say what you want about his football acumen, but the man beat the IRS in federal court.  I doubt this little 4:00 deadline would got in his way.

I also find it humorous that the guys playing statistics in football might have forgot to check the numbers on the clock.

Yep, I think Sashi Brown and his Harvard Law degree messed it up. He must have cut class on the day where they went over deadlines in class.

The Browns are so lucky this trade was not accepted. A R2 + R3 for AJ is absurd. He is a low level starter at best and it was a clear panic move, likely pushed by upper management in Cleveland to appease a fanbase that was stoked at the idea of a long rebuild but quickly ran out of patience this season.

I still think Cleveland is on the relatively safe track. They will get a top 3 pick, and get their QB this draft. Making this move screams upper management interference IMO.

If this went through they would still be in a position to grab a QB top 5, and it would leave them with a R1 2018 top 5, R2 2018 top 35, R3 2018 top 65 and R2 2017 top 35 pick invested in the QB position within a calendar year. That's absolutely gross.

The Browns are tremendously lucky.

12 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I get your point but I actually would be for abolishing the speed limit. If something doesn't rise to the level of reckless driving leave everyone alone and find another way to fund your police department 

No one wants to pay the taxes that would do so.  ;)

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Mike Brown isn't the one faxing the trade deals in.  I'm sure he has better things to do with his time than fax them in himself. 

8 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Have there been any theories about the Browns actually being the ones that did the trolling here? Lock the Bengals up with trade talks, agree to whatever price they're putting on a backup quarterback, drag things out and then drop out at the last minute to prevent Cincinnati from having time to get another deal done. It'd be pretty spectacular.

I have to think GMs avoid doing stuff like this to each other. Within such a small community, an act of dishonesty like that would cripple any future trades / talks between the guilty team and any others.

Archived