Browns attempted to trade for AJ McCarron, thwarted by NFL front office

pwny

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Personally, I'm not even advocating for that much. I'm advocating for the NFL to use its discretion to let this one go. From all accounts, it was a paperwork snafu rather than a timeliness issue. They got the trade to the NFL in time. They were just lacking a signature (due to a mix-up). I think the NFL should have let it go through if the Browns confirmed in a timely manner that they accepted the deal.(i.e., the Browns didn't wait hours to think it over; they tried to get through to the NFL immediately once they realized the error)

I mean, I don't really care if they let this one go, but still, all the other teams got their deals done and paperwork in order before the deadline.  Either the Browns or the Bengals or both were waiting until the last minute for leverage purposes.  To use the deadline for leverage purposes, the deadline must be something that's enforced at some point.

59 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

But all the other teams got their trades done before the deadline.  Everyone knows when the deadline is.  There are risks associated with waiting until the last minute.  If both teams really wanted this deal done, they should have gotten it done quicker.  

i heard a Browns theory that maybe either the FO or Hue didnt want to do it and was dragging their feet 

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It sounds to me like Hue Jackson is angry that they didn't trade for Garoppolo and was looking to throw them under the bus. He really wants to get fired, and he has no one to blame but himself for taking the job.

LMAO Hue trying to start a mutiny against the front brass just like he did in Oakland to save his own ***.

Sooner or later homie gotta start pickin sides if you wanna survive these streets.

apparently two "classic browns" moves = one bullet dodged

I mean this is as Browns as it gets

Trading any amount of picks for AJ frickin Mccarron

and then failing to approve your own trade

and yet

they come out unscathed. Still a terrible FO and team, but on the same level of terrible as before. 

Honestly? Everyone wins (except the Bengals) for this not going through. AJ McCarron is a career backup, and Cleveland is going to just make everything worse for him. Cleveland doesn't hand over a haul to their division rival for a 3rd rate QB.

1 hour ago, roysmyboy31 said:

The Browns are lucky that deal didn't go through.  A 2 & 3 for McCarron is way too much for him IMO.

This.    

The trade itself is more embarrassing than the conditions that thwarted it.  

Id be more upset right now if I were a Bengals fan.   They almost got 1st round value for a career backup QB.   Still might....but if it doesnt happen, Id be cursing the NFL for ruining a trade even better than the one they got for Palmer (I know they got more back for Palmer, but at least Palmer has proven he could be a capable NFL starter, whereas AJM...umm....hasnt.  .     

Have there been any theories about the Browns actually being the ones that did the trolling here? Lock the Bengals up with trade talks, agree to whatever price they're putting on a backup quarterback, drag things out and then drop out at the last minute to prevent Cincinnati from having time to get another deal done. It'd be pretty spectacular.

With that said, Cincinnati loses here for sure. I don't buy into McCarron and I certainly don't think he would've found success in Cleveland, so losing out on a second and third really stings for the Bengals.

7 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Have there been any theories about the Browns actually being the ones that did the trolling here? Lock the Bengals up with trade talks, agree to whatever price they're putting on a backup quarterback, drag things out and then drop out at the last minute to prevent Cincinnati from having time to get another deal done. It'd be pretty spectacular.

Decent idea, but McCarron is an RFA after this season, so the Bengals are going to have another year to move him. Not much lost by the Bengals.

Archived