2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

59 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I would 100% agree with this.

Gipson was the best safety we had. But he's getting up there in years. 

Sign Edmunds up! Why not?

(I'm hoping for Neal or Mathieu...but will settle for whoever!) 

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I would 100% agree with this.

He would be one of a few younger guys who could be expected to start at SS for reasonable money.

I like Dashon Elliott from Baltimore, but he is coming off an ACL.

We are also likely drafting someone to compete with whomever is signed.

35 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I also think they may be higher on Thomas Graham than what some of the analysts think as well.

It’s tough to know.

Are they higher on Thomas Graham… or has the CB market not been what they like.

Are they higher on Jenkins and Borom, or have they not been able to land someone better.

Like all things it probably lies somewhere in the middle.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This is nuts...especially when you consider what they have signed this offseason.

Being aggressive to help your young QB is a good plan. I also get they have to pay the Jacksonville tax. But even when you factor all that in the offseason has been unhinged.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

It’s tough to know.

Are they higher on Thomas Graham… or has the CB market not been what they like.

Are they higher on Jenkins and Borom, or have they not been able to land someone better.

Like all things it probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Considering they haven't been linked to a single OT other than vague references to Armstead, and there are still plenty of OTs left on the market, I'm going to say they like the young OTs.  Same for Graham, who at CB have the Bears been in on.  Let's take a look st this logically.  The HC says the 3 most important positions in his defense are 3T, WLB, and NB.  They moved immediately for a 3T, they have a 2 time all pro LB already, and still brought in another LB before the start of the new year, and it's been crickets at NB.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

He's my "hope" guy for this season, well him and the QB obviously.  One of Nagy's many crimes last year was not getting Graham out there more after he showed up in that game. 

Yeah after he had a great debut, tye fact they started Burns the next week was criminal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

This is nuts...especially when you consider what they have signed this offseason.

Kraft publicly complained bitterly about his expenditures last season. 

This is why I say team spending is more about internal budget than a hard cap.  

You can manipulate the cap if you want to spend.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Kraft publicly complained bitterly about his expenditures last season. 

This is why I say team spending is more about internal budget than a hard cap.  

You can manipulate the cap if you want to spend.  

Some of Bears cash flow may be tied up in new stadium.

Just now, dll2000 said:

That may be a possibility, but I doubt it, as no money has exchanged hands yet, all that's happened at this point is they have signed a purchase agreement.  And when it comes time to build a new stadium after close, it will be financed via the bank of the NFL and the fact the owners know building a multi-billion dollar stadium for the Bears will ultimately benefit all of them.  The bigger issue may be that team could be going up for sale soon if you believe the rumors surrounding the McCaskeys.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That may be a possibility, but I doubt it, as no money has exchanged hands yet, all that's happened at this point is they have signed a purchase agreement.  And when it comes time to build a new stadium after close, it will be financed via the bank of the NFL and the fact the owners know building a multi-billion dollar stadium for the Bears will ultimately benefit all of them.  The bigger issue may be that team could be going up for sale soon if you believe the rumors surrounding the McCaskeys.

No question it is a solid investment and it will get done.  But cash flow and contract obligations matter on accounting net sheets in various ways to even an NFL loan. 

And if it is true that they are going to cash out, and I am not sure it would be wise to leave a golden goose monopoly, they are also probably wanting to take some profits on way out.   They all get paid from Bears proceeds.  

I have argued that NFL may be at its peak in next several years due to declining youth interest from current generation and millions of parents opting their kids out with concussion scare.  But it should remain wildly popular and profitable for some time yet.  

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Possibly but I would bet the best majority of the money needed for our new stadium will come from sponsorship deals...companies will be falling over themselves to have their name on that stadium considering a Superbowl is all but guaranteed as soon as the stadium is ready and there is a slot open.

12 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Didn’t we hear Raiders and Broncos had some cash flow problems in recent history and for Raiders that was one of reasons for Mack trade?