2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

No question it is a solid investment and it will get done.  But cash flow and contract obligations matter on accounting net sheets in various ways to even an NFL loan. 

And if it is true that they are going to cash out, and I am not sure it would be wise to leave a golden goose monopoly, they are also probably wanting to take some profits on way out.   They all get paid from Bears proceeds.  

I have argued that NFL may be at its peak in next several years due to declining youth interest from current generation and millions of parents opting their kids out with concussion scare.  But it should remain wildly popular and profitable for some time yet.  

The problem for the McCaskeys is they are only a billionaire family on paper.  The only way they will see the fruits of Halas' work is to cash out.  Obviously for Virginia there are sentimental issues involved.  It's your dad's business, his life's work, and being a part of that history is worth more than any buyer could potentially offer, but for the Grandkids and the great grandkids?  They probably have little investment in Grandpa's business and to them its an unrealized asset that they can use to set themselves and their families for life.  

As for the decline in youth participation, that's really only happening in more upper middle class areas.  The poorer communities still see sports as their best chance to get out.  

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Didn’t we hear Raiders and Broncos had some cash flow problems in recent history and for Raiders that was one of reasons for Mack trade?

Very similar circumstances, Mark Davis is/was the poorest owner in the NFL, had signed Gruden to that ridiculous deal and had money out for the relocation to Vegas (about $300M iirc).  NFL rules require guaranteed money to be placed in Escrow to insure it gets paid in case of insolvency (lol).  The Bears aren't really paying any high guarantees right now, there is no money out for relocation as they are not truly relocating, and they aren't giving Eberflus $100M.  I don't recall anything with the Broncos, and their pending Dale doesn't seem to be effecting what they are doing in FA

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the McCaskeys will sell the team before a shovel hits the ground.

There are already rumors of issues as her health declines.

No way the NFL wants ownership of a team split between 11-14 different people.

This is where I think it's headed as well, I'm sure Bezos is chomping at the bit to acquire THE founding franchise, but it wouldn't shock me if the NFL tried to get a diverse owner, maybe even someone like MJ who still has tremendous ties to the city and can front the cash, or possibly Oprah even.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think the McCaskeys will sell the team before a shovel hits the ground.

There are already rumors of issues as her health declines.

No way the NFL wants ownership of a team split between 11-14 different people.

You’re probably right, but they don’t have the ability to mandate a sale. A lot of pro sports teams are owned by ownership groups rather than by a single billionaire. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’re probably right, but they don’t have the ability to mandate a sale. A lot of pro sports teams are owned by ownership groups rather than by a single billionaire. 

Including the Bears, but NFL rules require a majority owner who have liquidity of at least 50% of the sale price.  That's the reason the Wilfs own the Vikings, they were originally going to be purchased by Bob Johnson, who owned the Charlotte Bobcats at the time, but he didn't have the liquidity for the sale, so a minority member of the group (Zygi Wilf) had to step in as the majority owner.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Those groups usually have a majority owner.

No one on the Bears will own more than like 8% of the team. They made the Adams family in Tennessee totally change the structure. The Broncos are selling because the Bolland family structure is a mess.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Those groups usually have a majority owner.

No one on the Bears will own more than like 8% of the team. They made the Adams family in Tennessee totally change the structure. The Broncos are selling because the Bolland family structure is a mess.

The Bowlens are not being forced to sell, they are choosing to sell, again bc the family wants to realize the asset and they don't have sentimental ties to the team.

16 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

This is where I think it's headed as well, I'm sure Bezos is chomping at the bit to acquire THE founding franchise, but it wouldn't shock me if the NFL tried to get a diverse owner, maybe even someone like MJ who still has tremendous ties to the city and can front the cash, or possibly Oprah even.

Wow, that would be weird. Especially Oprah. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

It would make a ton of sense to have the richest woman in the world, (a self made billionaire) who is also a minority join the billionaire boys club and it would be a tremendous virtue signal in sports, especially with the diversity issues that the media jumps into all the time right now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

It would make a ton of sense to have the richest woman in the world, (a self made billionaire) who is also a minority join the billionaire boys club and it would be a tremendous virtue signal in sports, especially with the diversity issues that the media jumps into all the time right now.

Not only that, but she could walk out on to the field at halftime.

"Everybody look under your seats! You get a jersey! And you get a jersey! And you get a jersey!..." 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don’t think it would be any crazier than any of the others we could see take over…Jeff Bezos makes the most sense no doubt and his wealth is in such a league that it would take this franchise to the realms of the Cowboys in terms of valuation once the new stadium is built…

I think we should keep a close eye on who is in on the Broncos…not many people in the world with the funds to afford an NFL franchise…potentially one of the people passed up for that could be a strong contender for us.

"Over The Cap does a fantastic job explaining how compensatory picks work and projecting them. Based on the cancelation chart, the Bears have to lose three more compensatory free agents — deals signed at more than $2.5 million per year — and not sign any others until after the draft."

That is from Fishbain's Athletic article. The Bears could get a comp pick or two next year. They just have to hope Hicks, Dalton and Ifedi get 2.5M+ per year. They'd also have to only sign FA's to less than $2.5M per year deals OR sign FA's who were cut. If they want anyone over $2.5M, they have to wait until May.

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don’t think it would be any crazier than any of the others we could see take over…Jeff Bezos makes the most sense no doubt and his wealth is in such a league that it would take this franchise to the realms of the Cowboys in terms of valuation once the new stadium is built…

I think we should keep a close eye on who is in on the Broncos…not many people in the world with the funds to afford an NFL franchise…potentially one of the people passed up for that could be a strong contender for us.

"Thank you for joining us for tonight's Monday Night Football contest between the Bears and Packers here at Bet Rivers Stadium at Amazon Field!"